1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handwriting...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Anyday Carry, Oct 15, 2014.

1. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Back in the wood pulp age I had to learn drafting characters, not letters as I had been taught:
    TOM Q. VAXY where certain characters take up the same width. You had to make each letter and dimension (size) as legible as possible so there was no ambiguity as to what was required on the piece someone would be building.

Being able to make a quick hardcopy sketch with good dimensions makes it really easy for me to recreate whatever project I'm embarking on next. Depending what that is, I'll digitize that in MS Project, Google's Sketch-up or even a one-to-one printing program I use for making templates for woodworking.

That even, neat and mostly all caps block printing still stays with me and my cursive skills range from pretty iffy to UGH but with starting to journal every day, the advice other posters gave to slow down and concentrate has made many improvements.

BTW a bump to all the fountain pen users I see here, joined the ranks recently with a Lamy Al-star.

2. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

My teachers stopped teaching cursive when I went into middle school, and this was back in the mid to late '90s. To this day I can sign my name in cursive and that's about it. I occasionally use cursive for writing thank you notes, but I have to really stop and think on how to do it. I normally print and I can do so quite legibly when I slow down and concentrate, but I usually don't bother with that. I work as a special education aide in a public school and often have to write in a student's agenda book. I slow down and focus and the students around me comment on how nice my handwriting is, and I always laugh at this because when I'm writing quickly in my notebook my handwriting can be quite hard to read. I keep both a day planner and a to do list/journal notebook in a mixture of shorthand abbreviations, print, and a mixture of print letters, but with cursive tails connecting them so I don't have to lift my pen from the paper too often. All other writing that I do is typed as it is so much faster and I don't have to worry about it being legible.

What does bug me about a lot of the handwriting I see in the schools is most students do not know how to hold a pencil correctly. Many of them are left handed. My student that I work with is left handed and in working with him, I've researched and learned the many struggles left handers have. So many of them aren't taught correctly and then make up their own methods of writing and holding pencils.

The upside of not having the best handwriting is that I am quite good at reading other people's bad handwriting.

As far as the writing utensils I use, I have never owned a fountain pen. My usual pens are a Cross Century, Zebra F-701, and an Embassy pen.

3. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

I had to learn cursive in 2nd grade and we were required to use it through 5th grade.

In 6th we were then given the option and my hand writing morphed into a cursive/print mix depending on which way was faster. I work in a field where access to computers and other gizmos isn't common on the job so hand written reports are still the norm. The people here who can't write and can't spell or form a half decent sentence annoy me greatly.

porkchop likes this.
  4. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

I was referring to the LAMY...assuming the writing sample there was from the fountain pen. Thx.

5. nikao

nikao Loaded Pockets

It is a 1.5 stub italic nib you have to get the one LAMY makes it is their own style.

6. Gustavo Melro

Gustavo Melro Loaded Pockets

7. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can't post my handwriting. You'll never be able to understand a word, as i do. :)

8. Gustavo Melro

Gustavo Melro Loaded Pockets

comon... its not that bad.
    you're not a doctor, are you?

Nick4305 likes this.
  9. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

IIRC Nick4305 at least works in some medical related business. ;)

Nick4305 likes this.
  10. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Electronic biomedical and telemedicine's services.
    Since 1985 ;).

11. Patrick87

Patrick87 Loaded Pockets

My handwriting is a mix between cursive and print. I like it that way.:giggle:
    [​IMG]

veriest1 likes this.
  12. SF1

SF1 Banned

I do the same thing, a mix.

veriest1 and Patrick87 like this.
  13. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Trying to post mine. I decided to work in cursive today, and I seem to be the only one who can read it. sorry about the size.

[​IMG]

Patrick87 likes this.
  14. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

The slow version is more readable, but I can read the normal, too.

Patrick87 likes this.
  15. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I write mostly cursive as I was taught. Before I was married I was in the service. I wrote my girlfriend often but my handwriting was bad. Her mother had to read my letters to her.

Patrick87 likes this.
  16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

That must have been fun.

Mine is a mix of cursive and print and looks like a 7 year old with 2 broken hands. When I try, I can make it pretty, but it's no more legible.

Patrick87 likes this.
  17. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Did you know her mother reads it? If yes, did you think about what to write more? ;)

Patrick87 likes this.
  18. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I'll just say it was an interesting time and her mom really did read some of them. I found that out later. But it all worked out. Been married to her 40 years.

batteur and Patrick87 like this.