1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handwriting...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Anyday Carry, Oct 15, 2014.

1. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I can't do a pic right now, but I have absolutely horrible handwriting. (If it's over an hour old, most times I can't even decipher it.) A couple years ago I bought a custom font based on my handwriting. Basically printed off the template, took an incredible amount of time to fill it out as neatly as possible (took six or seven templates to get one even halfway legible), and then scanned it back. Ten minutes and about ten bucks later, I had a font that was my handwriting at its absolute best. (in other words, barely legible). I use this to print off letters to people.

I just published a book. Good luck to the people that get me to sign it. I think they will be accused of letting their kids scribble on the front page. Still buying a new pen just for that, because I am celebrating finishing a book that I've been working on for about ten years. (Fellhoelter)

Grizz

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've been telling myself for a couple of years now that I need to find a website that lets you print out a worksheet of practice writing to reteach myself how to write.
    IDK if this exists, but I think it'd be a good idea.

Cobra 6 Actual and nikao like this.
  3. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

My bad hand writing is a added 'security' feature

I'm not a person, I'm a mass of incredibly well organised birds

4. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

I used to have decent handwriting (never great). Now I have to be careful or I can't read my writing at all.

Cobra 6 Actual and nikao like this.
  5. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I will try to write something down for you tomorrow but I wanted to share my thoughts with you on why your Dad is on you about your handwriting. Parents usually get on you about things that the believe will benefit you in some way later on in life, although it may seem pointless to you at the moment. Also, take pride in everything you do and do it to the best of your ability. People around you will notice this admirable quality and respect you for it.

Nekolf, surefire7, Isaac_Reid and 5 others like this.
  6. nikao

nikao Loaded Pockets

My recommendation to you is from my experience. I have horrible handwriting....until I found a pen that was a pleasure to write with. This made it a joy to write and what is the point of writing something down if you or others can not read it later? I started to slow down and take time and really enjoy the process. Your Dad just wants the best for you and computers have not totally gotten rid of handwritten media so he feels it might hurt your future. I know because my daughter has atrocious handwriting and this is how I feel.

[​IMG]

7. nikao

nikao Loaded Pockets

+1000

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  8. stoneworks

stoneworks Loaded Pockets

I find it easier to write well quickly with a medium nib, for me a fine nib needs greater motor control. I learned to use an ink pen for handwriting with a dip pen and later a fountain pen. The ink and paper also make a difference for me.

Isaac_Reid and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. alukardfe

alukardfe Loaded Pockets

Mine is awful always was

10. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Myhandwriting was, is, and will probably always be, horrendous. I have no problem reading it, but nobody else, including my Wife, can decipher more then a few words. I actually flunked 10th grade history because the curmudgeon that taught it couldn't read my handwriting and refused to accept typed assignments. I type faster then I write.

I find I get the best control with a medium thin (1/4-5/16" dia.) hard grip and an ultra fine point that drags a lot. When I say drags, I mean it doesn't role easily, but feels like pulling a 0.7mm HB lead across the paper.

Last edited by IThinkTooMuch, Oct 21, 2014
  11. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I think this handwriting comic from The Oatmeal explains a lot...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can do the Elementary School level if i focus. no focus, it looks like the bottom pic.

porkchop, veriest1, khawk3 and 7 others like this.
  12. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

JustinJ

You are so dead on with that!

at least I'm not the only one... :)

13. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

I don't really write cursive or printed. It's a bit of a mix…

[​IMG]

Invictus and Sachsen like this.
  14. Wo0ki3

Wo0ki3 Loaded Pockets

My handwriting is atrocious. I write better Japanese freehand than I do English, prolly cause I learned one from scratch as an adult. I just don't find cause to jot things down anymore sans a keyboard and I fear I've all but forgotten how to write cursive. Because of this I just write things in my fugly freehand. What can you do? :nah_disagree:

Nekolf likes this.
  15. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

My handwriting results depend on several things, like whether I'm standing or sitting (properly), the paper I'm using and most importantly, what I'm using to write with. It's been ages since I've used a fountain pen, although in high school those cartridge pens were fairly popular. Most ballpoint pens are awful but this little Zebra that I use at work is "pretty neat" and a few others aren't too bad. I don't have anything that I don't mind losing if I have to run from the building.

Not only is the computer replacing writing (and secretaries, too, I guess) but actually speaking to anyone. I communicate more with e-mails than by face to face conversation. But with a couple of people I know, it's the only way to get a word in edgewise.

16. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Search for Sheaffer Agio Italic, and my handwritten review of it on Fountain Pen Network should be the top hit.

[​IMG]

Yeah. There's no reason for anyone to learn handwriting.

No one will ever want to read their grandparents' letters, or address a package or fill out an order form for Girl Scout Cookies or write a note in a sympathy card, let alone sign a meaningful document, in support of which they pledge their " lives... fortunes and ... sacred honor."

Last edited by WillAdams, Jan 26, 2015
    Gh0st and foxmo like this.
  17. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I think that our school systems are doing the children an incredible disservice in not teaching and practicing handwriting. This includes both print and cursive writing. A nice course in visual notetaking would not be amiss either. Fortunately, handwriting was still considered important when I was in the formative years of school and I was taught both cursive and printing. For a time, I let the skills laspe due to keyboard use, but around ten years ago I got fed up with this and began a slow move back to paper. I keep paper planners, a journal and I include handwriting as part of my creative process for my writing. It took a little while, but my handwriting skills returned and are quite useful to me.

I'm glad to note that many people are realizing how important handwriting is and are making a point to return the teaching of it to the young folks. I'm not saying that using a keyboard is not important too, but both skills need to be learned for modern society.

WillAdams likes this.
  18. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

When I think back now. I never learned to write print. In The Netherlands they immediately start with cursive writing.

19. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

One of my favorite podcasts is The Pen Addict Podcast. The show is hosted by Myke Hurley and Brad Dowdy(The Pen Addict himself).
    In several episodes, they talk about handwriting and penmanship.
    The biggest thing I took away from the shows is that you need to slow down and develop your own style through lots of practice.

I work in sales and do an enormous amount of writing throughout the day. Most of it consists of item numbers, product descriptions, prices and the like.
    On the occasion that I do have to write a letter, it's usually in the form of email. I've noticed that when I have to write something down in a hurry it tends to creep toward illegible. I've been complimented on my handwriting by several of the CSR's that I deal with on a regular basis.
    On one occasion I was asked how one of my coworker's wrote down his orders. I jokingly said that he keeps his pet chicken under his desk along with a bottle of ink.
    She replied, "Oh, I totally believe it."

My daughter is 11 and I'm pretty sure she has her own pet chicken and ink supply. She is learning cursive because she wants to, not because they are actively teaching it in elementary school.

I'm not sure why they don't stress the importance of penmanship. I keep forgetting that paper and pen are ancient tools of self expression and will be soon put asunder by the mighty computer.

20. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

Thanks for the tip!!!