1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handwriting...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Anyday Carry, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Anyday Carry

Anyday Carry Loaded Pockets

My Dad's really on my case at the moment coz 'e reckons I've got really bad hamdwriting. He's right, to be honest, but I thought it would be interesting to see some examples of edcf handwriting. Pictures Please!

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk

2. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

You should go browse the Penmanship forum at the Fountain Pen Network. You'll see examples of writing that will make you weep with joy at its perfectness and examples that are in the same ballpark as your own handwriting.

I've got an image of my own writing somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it.

If you want to improve your own writing, my advice to you is to slow down a bit and focus on shaping your letters consistently. Once the consistency becomes more automatic, choose a letter that you don't currently like the look of, decide how you want to shape it, and then start consciously using the new shape in your writing. I went through this exercise a while ago and it took about a week to get used to writing my "r" differently (I still fall back to the old "r" when writing fast...old habits die hard).

--flatline

3. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

4. Americanpiegamer188

Americanpiegamer188 Loaded Pockets

Everyone would say my handwriting is bad. I find it elegant, and unique myself.

I also write extremely fast.

nikao and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Interesting topic. I am an old guy. We learned cursive writing as well as print writing. I am told public schools no longer teach cursive writing. That said, many many moons ago In a land far away, I was trained to write only in print capital letters. Anything else was verboten. A couple of months ago a notion struck me and I tried to write in English cursive. I was shocked that I forgotten how to form some letters. I was even more shocked to see that my German cursive was creeping into my writing. I really struggled for a couple of hours and had minimal success. I have to admit I gave up.

6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was learning to write in cursive in 3rd grade when Mrs Foust, my teacher, told me to stop and just to print. She couldn't read it, I guess.

porkchop, khawk3, nikao and 4 others like this.
  7. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

I used to have impeccable (that means "sinless") handwriting. But, I've been banging on computer keyboards since 1978, and I'm a little stiff in the wrists now...

8. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

As Nick Nitro noted, many public schools no longer teach cursive writing, Isaac, so your lack of skill in that area may be less of an issue in the future.

My grandsons tell me that in their school they stopped teaching cursive this past year in the fourth grade. Instead now students get an hour or two on "how to write a signature". So, mostly they print.

I can imagine advertisements on the Internet of the future: "Cursive translator needed to convert notebooks to standard text document. Contact ..."

EDIT: P.S. -- I never earned the coveted "Palmer Method Certificate" either ... a lefty with a fountain pen, come on. No. Chance. At. All.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Oct 17, 2014
    veriest1, khawk3, nikao and 2 others like this.
  9. nick nitro

Good stuff Bro, sounds like you and I have a future after all.

nikao and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  10. nick nitro

No glue factory for us my man.

nikao, thePlumbah and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

... Yeah, Nick, but thank goodness for Microsoft Word!

marcclarke, nikao and thePlumbah like this.
  12. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

Elementary in PA still teaches cursive. After middle school I started using cursive full time because it's faster for notes and it's fun getting that "Wow! You're hand-writing is so fancy!" even when it's not. Turns out it payed off, because I just took the PSAT's and there was a section that required cursive, so I had to teach people how to write certain letters. :p
    [​IMG]

Last edited by BalancedEdge, Oct 16, 2014
    Blade Girl, indigo, nikao and 3 others like this.
  13. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I tried writing cursive today at work when things were slow, to see if i still could. nope. i can make marks on paper that look like they might be words, but there's a lot of guesswork differentiating the lowercase r's and u's, the l's and b's, capital S's and &'s. even my printing is a random mix of capitals and lowercase. i feel a little silly having a nice pen and the handwriting of an inebriated child, but i also feel perfectly rational in opening my mail with ridiculously overbuilt knives so i suppose it all evens out.

PBJS II, nikao, ManVsLawn and 5 others like this.
  14. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

My handwriting is atrocious. Like some other guys here, I can't write cursive very well anymore since I am so out of practice. Even doctors are jealous of my handwriting. Here's an old pic I used before to show my fountain pen ink with just sloppy printing. Thank goodness I can type neatly.

[​IMG]

vinniec5, Nekolf, nikao and 2 others like this.
  15. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

My handwriting isn't great, but I remember a guy in my maths class a few years back whose writing was more like Arabic than English. Even now it seems that many people in my honours English class have more than enough trouble reading to worry about what their handwriting looks like.

16. FighterZak

FighterZak Loaded Pockets

I have problems recognising my own handwriting :/

17. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I always wrote too small for other people to read. Had to train myself to write in (slightly!) larger block letters.

nikao, Cobra 6 Actual and FighterZak like this.
  18. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

Old geezer here--product of 1950-60's Catholic school system---
    The one thing for sure is that i can write with perfection to this day and often use a ruler for as a guide on unlined paper...
    Learning through the pain of a Nun' pointer/ruler lasts forever.....

vinniec5, nikao, Sachsen and 4 others like this.
  19. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Left handed! Went from cursive 3 thru 8th. Block print high school thru ? Now this is what y'all get unless I'm leaving you a sticky note or greeting card!

20. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

My handwriting is actually very good. I can print or write cursive pretty well. Good handwriting was very important in schools in the 60's.

surefire7, nikao and Cobra 6 Actual like this.