1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handwarmers

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by BlueTrain, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

Anyone here ever us a handwarmer? I realize that it isn't even glove season yet, at least where I live, but from what I have read of those who live in Alaska, they can't be beat for keeping your hands warm. I doubt I'll eve own one (don't live in Alaska) but I have always wondered about them.

The question that is always on my mind when I see mention of them is, how do they work? They use lighter fluid, do they not?

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

There are different kinds. I have a pair that work with some kind of chemical reaction, they produce heat for an hour or so. Then they must be boiled for a while to recharge them. But there are also non-reusable ones, I've heard they last longer. And Zippo has a warmer that does use lighter fuel, I think.

I don't use mine often, when it gets cold enough, I usually just layer up more gloves. When I have used them, I've usually put them in the pockets of my midlayer, under my jacket.

3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Zippo. When I rode the bus here in -40 temps, it made standing at the bus stops bearable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I work outside and i dont use handwarmers. I find that qhen i get cold its best to stay cold. I get used to it. If i warm them up, then when they get cold again its worse. When i first started doing cable tv, i would dip my hands in the snow at the start of the day. That would be the worst but after that I was fine all day.

Same with fully warming up in the vehicle. I have the window rolled down a couple inches between jobs so that my body doesnt go through such extreme changes.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

5. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

I found that when I get warm it's best to stay warm.

6. Cobra4246
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cobra4246 Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with Neutrontech as far as keeping the windows in my vehicle I also keep mine down part way in the winter.

7. chrisr

chrisr Loaded Pockets

I used to borrow my brother's lighted one when I was a kid, now I just use the disposables, but not that often. I keep some in the car in case I get stranded in a snow storm.

8. SecretMember

SecretMember Loaded Pockets

I have the zippo hand warmer, it does an adequate job keeping your hands warm, not as hot as I would like but better then nothing at all.

Warfusion likes this.
  9. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

I love my zippo handwarmer great for shoveling snow and working outside. I keep my filled and in my jacket arm pocket wit my zipping lighter. But I'm looking for a battery powered one just as good but nothing yet. Mainly use it to keep my body warm hands and feet don't bother me. I usually like the cold except early in the morning going to work after waking up.

Sent from my Android toothbrush!

10. billybogota
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybogota Loaded Pockets

This is interesting--I'll have to give it a try. Always used the non-reusable handwarmers as well, but it sounds like the Zippo might be a good present to ask for Xmas.

11. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Maybe get it personalized got my initials on mine.

Sent from my Android toothbrush!

billybogota likes this.
  12. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

+1 for zippo here too. Usually placed in the "muff" pocket of my buffalo shirt if it gets cold, but recently I've added an eyelet and paracord neck loop (with breakaway) to the pouch so I can hang it next to my chest under clothing.

Warfusion likes this.