1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handmade Mag Carrier

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Ethos, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Have any of you ever made your own magazine carrier? Out of what and can you post a pic?

2. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I tried making one out of Kydex. I built a press to do knife sheaths and holsters. I can do something basic, but it turned out way better to buy a pre-made. You can also grab leatherman/knife sheaths at army navy stores that work pretty well on the cheap.

Ethos and Gary Gross like this.
  3. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I was thinking of sewing something but after some reflection it doesn't sound so smart. Lol
    It's for my Sig 239 mag, I'm tired of carrying it in my left pocket despite doing it for about a dozen years, I want the real estate back. I am not crazy about a mag carrier on my left side so there's that. Man I sound like a whiner. :cool:

4. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Loaded Pockets

The professional way to carry a reload is in a leather mag carrier at 8 o'clock.

5. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Yup, I agree. Money is my issue. I have carried for years in my left front pocket with no issues. However I do need to get a carrier.

6. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Loaded Pockets

I see.

When I feel the need to carry more ammo than I have mag carriers, option one is that I don't go. Past that, when I'm going to go (for whatever reason) and therefore need more ammo than my mag carriers carry, I stuff the additional mags inside my waist behind the mag carrier.

(On a side note, on two occasions, my wife has seen me doing that and said "do you want to cancel this?" and I got to bow out.)

7. steviesterno

Kydex mag holders are like $20, the army/navy DIY are like $3. Not to be rude, but if you can't swing that, how are you going to afford all the practice ammo to get tuned up with your rig? Or keep it full of good quality ammo?

I usually sell some other gear to upgrade if I have to. Worst case (and cheap option) is just put mags in your pocket.

8. steviesterno

I've only once or twice thought I should probably carry 2 guns. At that point I reevaluate my reason for going to such a place. I'm with you. If I think I'll need more than a full size handgun and 1/2 mags, I just don't go.

9. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I have about 700 rounds of various FMJ rounds, and about a third of that additionally in defensive ammo.

I was trying to come up with something different. I'm fine with pocket carrying until I get a carrier, always done it that way except when I had my G26 which had a carrier.

10. Kody Page

Kody Page Loaded Pockets

Just go to greenforcetactical.com... trust me it's way better than trying to make your own. They've got it down to a science!