1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handkerchiefs ???

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by DCBman, Apr 1, 2017.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I see many threads and posts here on EDCF about handkerchiefs, and I see all manner of handkerchiefs which look really great. However, at the same time I also see comments from folks about how you're not supposed to use these handkerchiefs to blow your nose on them.

If you don't use a handkerchief to blow your nose on, what do you use it for? Why even carry one at all if you're not going to use it for what it (I thought anyway) was originally intended to be used for?

I mean, I 'get' the idea that you don't want to be using a $25 dollar handkerchief as a booger rag, but I guess what I'm getting at is why have a $25 dollar handkerchief to begin with if you're not going to use it?

I'm sure this is a very 'uncultured' question, but hey, I'm just a dumb cowboy livin' out in the sticks! LOL.

2. Thesteve_global

Thesteve_global Loaded Pockets

I've personally been a function first kind of person. I completely understand and echo your sentiments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Shike like this.
  3. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Not sure of others but I carry a Declan cloth. It's a larger microfiber cloth for cleaning glasses and electronics screens that can double as a pocket square and handkerchief. I've never used a cloth handkerchief for blowing my nose, and I wouldn't want to clean my glasses or iPhone screen after doing so...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Well, I carry a micro-fiber cloth in my pack for those cleaning tasks. It's not ornate like the handkerchiefs, but rather dedicated to that function. I guess I don't see the handkerchief serving in this role (as they aren't really microfiber cloths, although I guess they could be).

5. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

I mainly use mine to wipe saw dust off my face, clean my hands off when fishing, clean up spills or clean saw dust off of a surface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

6. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I keep a lens cloth in all of my glasses cases. Wiley X comes with a rather large one.

I also keep alcohol swabs in my EDC bag to clean my phone periodically.

I do keep a standard, white handkerchief in my back left pocket everyday everywhere. I hardly ever use it so I fold them up and rotate them about weekly.

7. Biolabob

Biolabob Loaded Pockets

I use it to wipe sweat, wipe hands, wipe iPhone screen, wipe knifeblade clean. I won't blow snot in to it unless it was an emergency without any other option to vacate mucus from the nasal cavities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Gross likes this.
  8. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use my handkerchiefs for whatever I could use a cloth for, but I suppose the price of the cloth one carries and the willingness to use it as a snot rag or whatever else are inversely proportional. I carry 99 cent bandannas most often so they get used for everything.

9. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I carry both a handkerchief and a bandanna in the back pocket (one's for snot, the other not). What's the bandanna for?

Well... 101 (or so) Other Uses for a Bandana

...but I mostly use it as a headband to keep sweat out of my eyes when I'm working.

No, no fancy $25 handkerchiefs here. I buy the ones that come in multi-packs.

soulknight likes this.
  10. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I echo what @Biolabob said. Because everything I EDC tends to match, I rotate daily. Snot is purely a last resort but you have to do what you have to do.

11. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I use mine to wipe my nose and face.
    Because it is nomex i also use it when changing flash bulbs, or anything else that may be hot (only when its clean though)

12. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Always have one with me. Good for the nose, glasses cleaning, coffee spills, and when needed at emotionally moving events. Sharing is caring.

13. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Because it is cotton and quite large. I carry Swedish armed forces bandanas mostly, not exactly handkerchief but a scarf.

These properties put together make it a multitool for both EDC and preparedness. It can be used for charred cloth, it can provide shade from the sun, it can be used as a scarf (around the neck or on the head), it can be placed down to keep small items from being lost in the woods, used as a backdrop for a EDC photo, it can be used as a large particle filter for water, as a bindle, as a makeshift pouch for something dirty, wiping off a table or bench and so on.

The last thing I would do is blow my nose in it, I rarely blow my nose to begin with and if I do I use a disposable napkin.

Moshe ben David likes this.