1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handkerchiefs

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Howler4, Jan 8, 2016.

1. aeliassen

aeliassen Loaded Pockets

I have seen so many great hanks on instagram and different EDC sites that I decided I would learn to use a sowingmachine over easter. I now have a few handmade hanks and my first day of carrying will be tomorrow.

I hope I find it as useful as everyone in this thread, but since it only takes up space in my backpocket that is empty anyway it will not add anymore bulk.

ran23 likes this.
  2. masiaka

masiaka Loaded Pockets

I use mine for cleaning my glasses most of the time, but they have occasionally been pressed into use as emergency bandages. I've also used one to make an improvised stuff sack. Aside from my multitool, my hankies and bandanas are the most useful part of my EDC.

3. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

I've carried a handkerchief/bandana for most of my life and can't count the number of times they've saved the day: everything from pre-filtering water and old gas (not together, obviously) to use as bandages or cordage to secure stuff. I've even patched a friend's skirt using one and some fishing line after she ripped it badly jumping from a swing.

I only buy and carry cheap ones as many days they end up covered with gas, grease, oil, dirt and such.

4. edcss

edcss Loaded Pockets

One on my person, one in my bag, and a baggie of wet whites, has come in handy more than once, for all of the above scenarios.

5. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Carry one in my chest pocket as a snot-rag when snowboarding.

6. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

I see so many nice handkerchiefs on the pics in EDCF. Nearly all from the USA. I really don´t know where to buy them in Germany. It seems that Germans only have boring white hankies ;)
    If you know some onlineshops in Germany or at least Europe to save shipping costs please let me know.

7. aeliassen

aeliassen Loaded Pockets

If you want to risk getting it in the mail without tracking it seems like Hanks by hank send their products to Germany for $4 in shipping. When I added two hanks to the shoppingcart it went up to $6.50.

I assume that since the weight and size is so small you might find simular shipping prices from other vendors in the US.

dischu likes this.
  8. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Aeliassen, thanks for the tip! Yes, Hanks by hank send for $4 shipping costs to Germany, any further product + $2. That would be OK. Also paypal is possible. I will check the other vendors in the US also.
    But I have to add 19% VAT to the costs and - most annoying - I have to pick it up at the custom office. 100km (62 miles) car trip and if you ever be in German authorities, you won´t enjoy it ;)
    So within the EU it would be much easier ... if there are nice hankies available in the EU.

9. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

I just started carrying cheap bandanas the last few months. I don't know how I got along without them. I mostly use them as a towel as most have mentioned. I also lay them across my lap to catch wood shavings when whittling in the house. On Sunday I used it as a makeshift egg basket while hiding Easter eggs for the kids.

10. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Perhaps an edcf hanky or bandanna since I don't see the buffs up anymore. :confused: (i still love my edcf buff)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

11. aeliassen

aeliassen Loaded Pockets

Ahh you guys have even stricter rules than we have in Norway.

We're good as long as we keep ourself under $42 for the order+shipping.

Will you have the same problem if you order from Aliexpress? I think it will ship from asia?

12. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

I have to keep under 22 EUR ($25), unofficially 26,30 EUR ($30), for oder inclusive shipping costs. The bill needs to be outside at the packing. Otherwise I have to visit the custom office. For all non EU deliveries, equal if from the US or asia.
    I prefer Gearbest.com instead of Aliexpress because I can use paypal. But I always try to be below 22 EUR. For low cost products I split into two orders instead of overspend 22 EUR.

13. aeliassen

aeliassen Loaded Pockets

Don't you know someone with a sewing machine? They are dead simple to make, only need to buysome cool cloths. Here are some of the ones I've made so far.

https://imgur.com/a/F5f9Q

I didn't have my camera at hand so just had to take pictures with my phone.

As you can see - I have never done this before, so the seems are crooked, but thats some of the fun with handmade things.

14. aeliassen

aeliassen Loaded Pockets

I made another one that I think will be my new hank for informal situations... not the most maskulin one, but... I just have to share it

[​IMG]

15. LimuHead

LimuHead Empty Pockets

I carry normal size and large bandanas for all the reasons folks have mentioned above.

Question: Does having more than one ply/layer sewn together make it a hanky or is it about the smaller size. Perhaps both?

Just curious.

Aldon

16. aeliassen

aeliassen Loaded Pockets

That's a good question. There is handkerchiefs that is only one ply, so I assume thay don't have too much to do with it.

If we 're talking about a bandana I would expect to be able to tie it around my head, and a hank is not big enough to be tied that way. So maybe it's justthe size it depends on. I'm not sure.