1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handkerchiefs. Boring but handy.

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Phlebas, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Phlebas

Phlebas Loaded Pockets

I don't know why but until recently I've never carried a handkerchief on my EDC. My father always did, but maybe I saw it as a thing of the past. I suppose there's a certain yuck factor if its used to blow your nose.

In any case, I watched some EDC/prep vids and I kept seeing people suggest carrying a handkerchief or bandana. I happen to be at Target last weekend and saw a pack of 3 for a few bucks so I picked them and started carrying one in my back pocket. It takes up essentially no room and I can't even tell it's there.

It's come in handy 4/5 days I've carried it so far: wiping up a small coffee spill in the car. I'm weird--even a small drop on the console bothers me; small water spill at my desk in the office; the office lost power for half a day and it got really hot so i used it to wipe my brow; must've gotten an ink blob on my hand and touched my face so i used it to get that ink off my cheek.

Ok, I'm convinced. It's part of my permanent EDC now. Highly recommend others do it too.

2. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Been carrying two bandanas since my boy scout days. Like you said, takes up almost zero room, has a zillion and one uses. Mop, napkin, emergency bandage, dust mask, bundling up small items, tucked up under back of ball cap to keep sun off back of neck and ears when fishing, wet down with water and drapped around neck in very hot weather, wadded up loosely and shoved down in Dockers pocket to keep pocket knife from falling out, tied around head to keep sweat from running into eyes, use as pot holder to lift coffee pot from edge of campfire, and last but nost least, if ya gotta sneeze, there you go. ( That's why you carry a spare clean one.)

It's getting harder to find the bigger size bandanas.

3. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I carry 2 of the 27"x27" size bandanas.

4. cacibi

cacibi Empty Pockets

I'm a chronic sneezer, dust gets to me very easily so - primary use is to cover my mouth or blow my nose. But as stated, many other uses. I remember my Grandpa showing me how to make a hat out of one by putting overhand knots in each corner when I was a kid.

There's something to be said for not blowing snot all over your desk, car, girlfriend, pets, computer, etc. whenever you sneeze.

5. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I have carried a handkerchief with me for a few year's now. I use it daily for everything from picking something up that is hot or disgusting to taking care of myself whipping off sweet etc, A emergency band aid and about a million more other uses. A handy thing EDC.

I forgot to add my favorite use of a handkerchief of all time it makes a nice background in Avatar pic's ;)

6. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i havent carry one since i was a kid.. i bought two handkerchiefs not long ago and and started edcing it and i find i use it often..

especially on hot day to wipe sweat from my face and neck..

7. hamster-in-a-wheel

hamster-in-a-wheel Loaded Pockets

Weird....I started carrying a bandana on the same day Phlebas posted this, and was about to ask if anyone else did. Like the OP, my father always carried a handkerchief, but I never did. They do seem very useful.

8. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

I started carrying a handkerchief a few days ago in my manpurse to wipe the screens of my mobile phones.

9. Phlebas

Phlebas Loaded Pockets

Don't worry, I'm not going to reply to this thread every time I use a handkerchief but it came it handy again on Sunday. Brought some flowers out to the cemetery for Father's Day and the stems were too long to fit in the vase. Took out my Leatherman Squirt PS4, trimmed the stems, took out a handkerchief and wiped the blade and my hands clean.

Great idea to use them to clean your cell phone screen, Artaxerxes. I've been doing the breathe-heavily-to-fog-it-up-then-wipe-on-shirt move for too long. So I'm stealing that idea!

10. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

Well, I'm actually homored that another member of the forum decided to steal my idea ! :)) It's for the first time this happens.

11. Breck

Breck Empty Pockets

I've carried one since high school (>20 years now), I guess a snotrag, a pen, and a keyring are the three things that have been in my EDC for the longest continuous time. I got out of the habit of carrying a knife for a long while, and only recently came to appreciate the value of a flashlight, but a handkerchief? Hell, yeah. Good when it's hot, good when it's cold, good when there's no napkin in your to-go food, good when there's a spill, good when somebody's crying, good when something's filthy...

I could go on, but I have already. Only time I intentionally leave the house with no hanky is when I go running. Otherwise, I'd just as soon step out the door naked as without one.

Now, carrying a back-up clean one, that's an idea I hadn't thought of... Two is one, right?

12. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Loaded Pockets

13. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

ive carried one since my early teens, and im 31 now. my dad always does, as do many of his generation, but i know of no one else my age who does. its just sensible to me :)

14. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

I think I may have taken the message of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy too closely to heart. I carry a regular sized bandanna, a shemagh, an off-brand buff, a handtowel, a microfiber towelette, and a separate microfiber lens/screen cleaning cloth, and a travel pack of kleenex.
    I can justify... some of this excess. I carry the disposable facial tissue because I sneeze a lot, and blowing my nose into something I'm going to put back into my packet is too gross.
    The dedicated lens/screen cloth is because microfiber works best for cleaning these, but at the same time, if it's been used, its static properties can hold grit and lint in the perfect position to scratch smooth surfaces.
    The microfiber towel was really cheap (I think I got it in a twenty pack for 12$ at CostCo). I use them around my house as paper towel replacements, and so if there's something gross to clean up (grease on my bike, spilt coffee with milk), I don't have to get my nicer handtowel dirty.
    The regular bandanna and tubular bandanna take up almost no weight, whether I'm wearing them or not. And like they say, hundreds of uses.

15. mrbickelsworth

mrbickelsworth Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty well convinced I should start edcing a handkerchief now. A question though: Do you use it to clean up a spill or something then just fold it so the mess is tucked inside and doesn't dirty your pockets?
    Do you wash it daily or have a clean one for each day of the week?

Thanks!

16. mrbickelsworth

mrbickelsworth Loaded Pockets

Also, is it safe to say it's best not to use white handkerchiefs?

17. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

I use a new one each day. I often carry white handkerchiefs, but they obviously show stains easier than colored/patterned ones.

18. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

19. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

Just started carrying a bandana about a month ago (in bag not pocket). Primary uses:

- Put under hat and cover neck so no sunburn.
    - Clean up after my first-grader daughter.

20. homebrw

homebrw Loaded Pockets

I've been edc-ing one for years. My Dad's been gone for almost 10 years now, and he had me carrying one for 10 years prior to his death, so I can safely say it has been part of my edc for half my life.
    I think one of the best uses as a gentleman is to offer to someone if they are crying and upset. Never leave for a funeral without two. I have accumulated so many over the years, that I never ask for or accept it back. I just say 'you hold onto it just in case you might need it again.'
    There are some pretty neat designs out there. My favorite has fishing knots on it. Another is a topographical map of one of my favorite hiking grounds as a teen. Needless to say, I have a drawer full.
    It makes me feel good to share, and perhaps some of them start to edc a handkerchief too.
    Chris