1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handkercheif? Schmeg? Buff?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by tecster, Jun 2, 2013.

1. tecster

tecster Loaded Pockets

I need advise.. I sweat a lot and need to wipe my face, head and sometimes my arms during these 90*+ - what would be best?

2. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

The shemagh or keffiyeh was designed for arid conditions and to block the sun. I prefer a bandana for wiping my face. I am big guy and built for northern conditions so sweat pours from me in the summer. That's why I have a bandana stashed everywhere and in anything I carry.

Pine Box Parkinson likes this.
  3. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Handkerchief? Shemagh? Buff?

Do you need it for work??

The Handkerchief and Buff would be the items most likely appropriate for most work situations and work places...
    Whereas the Shemagh might be too bulky, and therefore dangerous (being wrapped around your head & neck) for some workplace jobs...

Beach Towel always becomes handy if you really get a chance for a break from work and get to "wipe down"....

4. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

I would go with the handkerchief it's easier to pocket than a shemagh and more versatile than a buff. It's usually cheaper too.

5. tecster

tecster Loaded Pockets

no need for work, just for everyday general crap.

6. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well than heck...

Get yourself a couple of different color Shemaghs!

They are:
    Light weight, usually 100% cotton
    Nice size, most around 42" or 44" square
    Can easily be carried (thrown) in any bag you carry
    Come in assorted colors, just for your style
    You can find yourself being creative finding multiple uses for them
    Pour a bottle of water on it and cool yourself off
    If that sucker starts to smell...just toss it in the trunk of your car till you do you monthly laundry run...;)
    Don't bother paying more $$ for a designer looking (logos) like from you favorite knife / gun maker etc etc
    You'll find that all are made pretty cheaply...material is lighter than a tee shirt

Hope this helps, Good Luck!!

7. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Wear a hat, so that the sun is not directly burning your face and skin.

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Depending on where you are, I don't use a shemagh just for the potential to draw attention.

During the summer months, I keep a hand towel in my bag, or in a pocket. I also keep a bandanna and a handkerchief, but the cotton hand towel is cheap, absorbent, and multi-purpose.

A buff is on my "to experiment with" list, but I don't have any first hand experience.

I also wear a hat during the summer months just to keep the light out of my eyes and cut down on the amount of sunlight baking my head. It might be worth considering, especially if you use a hand towel folded under your hat.

9. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I edc a tan shemag all year, really great when in need of protection from the elements, both the sun, rain and snow. I really find the thinner versions to be very breathable and dries very fast. I dont think a shemag draws attention were i am, but we also dont really have the urban warrior types so much in scandinavia as you might have in USA, so i think it depends on where you live.

10. 6_String_Jams
    • In Omnia Paratus

6_String_Jams Loaded Pockets

I always keep a simple bandana in my back pocket, or if it's hot out, wrapped around my head ( as in my avatar )

11. Uprightman

Uprightman Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know of any 42" square bandannas? I think those would be excellent.

I have a buff in my edc bag thats great for things like fishing or hiking, and a shemagh is in my camping bag, but I think a huge bandanna would be perfect for general use..

Pine Box Parkinson likes this.
  12. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

Really? You can't figure this one out on your own?

Novesk_ likes this.
  13. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

Why don't you just get your sweat glands lasered off?

14. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

buff all the way. i have 4 or 5 of them. great for sweat in the summer and i have a winter version, too - works fine.
    i don´t know how many 1000 designs there are, so you won´t look like tacticool-dork-man, if you don´t want to;) . many ways to carry them on person. go buff :bounce:

critterfixer likes this.
  15. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

A bandana. Buff can work but not as good as a bandana.

16. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

I like shemaghs.

17. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

If you want to stick to natural fibers go for a linen bandanna or shemagh, it's MUCH cooler than cotton.

18. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I own and use three, but I find the Buff the least useful.

I carry a bandana in my LR pocket, literally, every day. I always wear one under my hardhat at work and under a bicycle helmet when I ride. I'll wear one on occasion when I do yard work or hike. The main selling point for me is that a bandana can be carried on body with ease so it is always around whether to wear or for any number of other uses.

I do like to hike and kayak with the shemagh as it provides more protection from the elements and absorbs more sweat when used for wiping down your brow. It really outshines the other two during the winter when wearing it around your neck like a train robber from the old west. It adds about 15 degrees of warmth to whatever you are wearing. This is a real boon when you go with minimal outerwear because of the need for mobility.

The lowly Buff, of which I own seven or eight, always seems like a good idea to me but never really works out in the real world. I always have one in my Jumbo, but I've never once gotten it out of the truck to replace the bandana on my head.

But, in the end, it all comes down to personal preference, so like the most of the rest of use, you'll end up with all three before you figure out which of them is "best".

The answer is none are best because, while there is some crossover, each really shines in it's own particular realm.

19. Tinker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tinker Loaded Pockets

I carry a Buff (forum) but my primary sweat mop is a terry towel. I buy them and then dye them forest green so the white isn't glaring against all of the earth tones I wear. A dozen for 5 bucks at wally world is hard to beat for a good multifunction rag that can be disposable or reusable.

20. Kope

Kope Loaded Pockets

I was deployed to different areas of the Middle East for the past two years and I have really seen just how versatile the shemagh is. It is great for super hot days to protect from the sun, keeps sand/dirt out of your eyes and on really cold days it is amazing how a piece of cloth around your neck can trap in body heat. Excellent piece of kit.