1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handheld jigsaw (t-shank blade) handle hack

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Nathaniel Whiteinge, Nov 23, 2021 at 12:16 AM.

1. Nathaniel Whiteinge

Nathaniel Whiteinge Empty Pockets

I've been wanting a small handle, somewhere in the 4-inch range, that will fit a standard t-shank jigsaw blade for my grab-and-go carry. Jigsaw blades are so tiny with a lot of available cutting options it's easy to carry a few for the "just in case" occasions when you need to hacksaw through a bad screw or cut a small bit of wood.

Searching online there's a few options for reciprocating saw blades or non-standard blades but not much for jigsaw blades (unless you have a 3D printer). On a whim I looked inside a cheap Ryobi and the saw blade assembly is a single, solid part. (Other jigsaws separate the blade clamp from the assembly.) The part is just $13 online: Ryobi part number 304944002.

[​IMG]

It's not fancy but it's small and requires little to no modification. I shortened the main bar and will probably attach a wooden dowel inside the welded cross-bar to make it a little more comfortable in the hand. The quick-release works really well and there's no play on the blade when locked in place.

Here's a quick video of inserting and removing a blade:

https://i.imgur.com/Q30VDfZ.mp4

parnass and tera tike like this.
  2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I beg your pardon for my deep ignorance... i can't see the way that "U" shaped section can be of help... could you please explane it ? How should be fixed to it the wooden dowel ?
    TIA

3. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

I think the idea is to fix a wooden dowel to the "U" shape section making it T-handle style.

Nathaniel Whiteinge likes this.
  4. Nathaniel Whiteinge

Nathaniel Whiteinge Empty Pockets

The video may answer your question so you can see it in action but here's a relevant still:

[​IMG]

Like Tera said: the cross-bar already works as a regular t-handle and provides a solid grip when sawing. If I put a little dowel inside the U then it will be round instead of concave and probably feel more comfortable in the hand.

You are right though that the cross-bar doesn't provide much help since sawing usually requires more downward pressure than forward-to-back pressure. I could probably cut it off but it's nice to have a little extra material there to grip onto.

Nick4305 likes this.