1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handheld HAM Radio Antenna

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by resq1192, Oct 29, 2016.

1. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

And... another supporter of the Signal Stick.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've ordered two Signal Sticks to try out on my HTs. Thanks for the recommendation!

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

If you want any significant improvement you'll need something close to 1/4 wave length. Another vote for Signal Stick. I keep mind rolled up in a knot until I'm in the field.

[​IMG]

chaosmagnet and ballistic like this.
  4. Ed Humphries

Ed Humphries Empty Pockets

Not a fan of the Baofeng - they haven't met basic spectral testing standards from the get-go. The sound terrible to me. But that's apparently okay since people can buy them cheap and use them on freqs they shouldn't at illegal power levels for those bands. Ask a GSMA repeater owner what they think about the Baofeng (and be prepared for an earful). But all that is off-topic.

I like the Diamond ht antennas also. Nagoya's can be good performers. Talking about the @19inch models, of course; no stubby duck can compare. There are two caveats: one, double check - clone makers are labeling cheaply made antennas that don't last and don't perform as Diamond/Nagoya, two, do a scan for each band to check out the antenna. I've found several to be good (within the limits of an ht antenna) on the 70cm band but terrible on 2m band (as in resonant at >170MHz). I found one "dual band" (which I thought was a Diamond) that is only resonant on 220. I ended up using a 2m only antenna (properly resonant in band) when performance on that band is important.

I second the use of a "tail" to help the performance of the antenna. I also use a "pocket j-pole" hung up high and in the clear when performance is critical (I know its performance curve intimately because I built and tuned it myself - if you buy one, test, test, test.)

And finally, for those who might not know/realize what they are doing. Your antenna performance is going to s going to be bad if you hold the ht such that the antenna is parallel (or nearly so) to the ground. Those are vertical antennas folks; point 'em UP. Movies and TV mess this up constantly.

Cheers, Ed H. - Atlanta