1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handguns - the nitty gritty.....

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ManVsLawn, Jan 21, 2016.

1. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I've been a competitive shooter in Florida for 35+ years, shooting in rain, high humidity/sweat...try Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly called Sheath) for a metal protectant... comes in spray and lighter fluid style cans...my Uncle Mikes Gun Runner fanny pack has a lining that appears relatively water resistant, but is a medium, and will not hold a full size G17... I carried a G19 upside down (without one in the chamber) when I did use it

2. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like the real world experience.

your mention of uncle Mikes lead me to their site. Although the gun runner looks a bit big for my taste, a few of their other options look darn near perfect.

(okay, fanny packs never look perfect, but for pure practical carry in my situation, they seem perfect)

And, they won't break the bank. 40-50$

here is a pouch that can be added to a belt.

[​IMG]

here is a fanny pack with belt strap options.

[​IMG]

a snub nosed revolver or smaller 9mm should fit in either of these, with room for a few other EDC goodies....

Both are about 7-8 inches long, 5 tall, 2 or under wide.

Oh.... so.... fashionable!:redcarded:

Edit - vegassprky

Last edited by ManVsLawn, Jan 22, 2016
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I don't have personal experience with the following; however, an underling presently uses them and has found merit in their designs.
    • DIKAIA Designs Chest Rigs
    • Deep Conceal LLC Shoulder Holster

ManVsLawn and Brtsmpsn like this.
  4. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Another option that, if it's been mentioned, I missed it. A belly band. I know historically they pretty much suck, and still do. But there's a new generation of them out there made of Lycra that are both comfortable functional. You can get a large "runners belt" and add a pocket holster or look for one that has the holster built in. Unfortunately for ManVsLawn, I don't know how well they would do for sweat protection but I can attest to comfort and general utility either above or below the waistband. Perhaps if nothing else, it could be used to clear out some pocket space for a more traditional pocket holster.

5. ManVsLawn

While a great idea, I do believe that would be absolutely miserable during the summer.

Unless light, long sleeved clothing, much like a tusken raider, is the way to go.... I think I could only handle a belt (or strap) around the waist. anything around my torso would more than likely drive me mad.

I could easily get away with it now....but not July.

than you everyone for the information, I have a list of small ish 9mm and a few others to try, as well as a fanny pack of sorts to obtain.

I will do this when $ allows, and report back with my findings!

Brtsmpsn and Longbow_06 like this.
  6. whiskey

whiskey Loaded Pockets

I used to live in south FL and fought the same issues. I agree with you that the fanny pack is the best option for your situation. I tried the smart carry, and it works great, but gets way more sweated up than a fanny pack.

More than anything else, look at applying Birtchwood Casey Barricade to your gun ahead of time.

I have had good luck with the Barricade keeping rust off. I would clean and reapply once a month, sometime every couple months. Just wipe with a oil rag between.

I like revolvers, so I'd say take a look at the Ruger LCR. It's a lot less weight to lug around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

Going to your original post. A good service pistol, and holster combination. Plus proper maintenance should keep you good to go. By service pistol I mean something used by police glock, m&p, sig, etc. It's really hard to beat the shield. They're reliable, inexpensive, easy to maintain, easy to carry, and have a good self defense round count. Pair that with some frog lube and a holster with a sweat gaurd, and you shouldn't be just fine. Hope this helps.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

When I suggested the LCP it is mainly due to the really crazy small footprint this one has and the easy way it can just be pocketed above most others.

I also have an LCR and it is just not in the same size class just like the G43,they are just too big to go un noticed while working outside in the Florida sun.

Here is a pic of a wallet style holster for the LCP and in there it really looks like a Wallet in the pocket which makes for the easiest carry that I have tried while still being inconspicuous and comfortable.
    I can sit on this all day long too with little notice of it being there for example and have not found anything else that can sit like this?

The biggest issue to me is that even tiny differences in size are much bigger when looking at options this small.

[​IMG][​IMG]

G26-LCP-LCR

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty dramatic difference overall.

Last edited by EZDog, Jan 24, 2016
  9. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

I carry a TCP as my every day gun. I can carry it in gym shorts and such like you said you wear with a pocket holster without any issue. And I know you said you thought the .380 round was a bit weak, however its weakness only really comes into play when dealing with thick clothing. If you are in shorts and a Tshirt the chances are anyone you would have to defend yourself from would be as well. Modern 380 rounds do give up some penetration compared to 9mm, but in 99% of the self defense shooting scenarios I plan for I do not want penetration. And honestly with the 9mm that is a very real risk. The size and weight reduction going from even the smallest lightest 9mm's to a .380 are noticeable. Being able to throw it in a pocket holster and in gym shorts is not something I could do with even the smallest and lightest 9mms without some way to keep the pants from slipping. I can carry it in my scrub pants without a drawstring belt without any worry. Heck my other pocket contents are heavier than my gun. (Flashlight, Knife, Cellphone wallet.

Also honestly the .380 from the smaller gun is still more comfortable to shoot and go to the range with than a 9mm in a sub compact form. When I had my pf-9 (Very small and very light 9mm auto) I could get maybe 50 rounds of shooting in on it, maybe 100 if i wanted my hand to hurt the next day. I can shoot my TCP all day, That means I have put a lot more rounds down range with it, even though they cost more per round. Would my .380 be my choice if i might have to be shooting though a car door to someone wearing 5 layers of winter clothes, nope, but I feel plenty safe carrying it as my primary gun for my self defense needs.

Dorian, Brtsmpsn and EZDog like this.
  10. ManVsLawn

I think you are the second fine gentlemen to mentioned Birtchwood Casey Barricade. I won't skimp on this when the time comes.

I like revolvers too. And I just did some weight comparisons, without ammunition, unless I drop down to an LCP, I won't lose much weight....

If I bump up to a higher capacity, g19, I'll double my current carry weight, without ammunition....

i figured people have encountered some sort of similar situation before. With like minded individuals sharing knowledge like this, I've really gained a lot of in-sight (pun!) to what can/could/won't/may/may not work. :giggle:

I also gained a lot of knowledge on, if nothing else, expanding my bang toy selection, caliber wise.

a main reason for wanting a 9mm is the wide usage of ammo, and recognition of parts.

EZDog, geekandwife - welcome and thank you for contributing!

If I get something along the lines of the LCP, (to continue my previous though) I will reduce the carry weight roughly 2/3. Along with a good bulk reduction. I only gain one, possibly 2 more shots per of a lower caliber ammunition, in style that I must pull before I shoot.

At least I could carry a spare mag, and I'm betting there are larger capacity mags made for this small pistol.

Is this a compromise I'm willing to make? is it something I may be forced into, due to climate and working conditions?

I'm unsure until I get my grubby paws on one. :tongue:

I have read a few online reviews of the LCP and it gets a lot of praise. I'm pretty sure my mower shop guy has a little Ruger .380 and he loves it, lives in a rougher part of town and has bigger hands than I.

upon your two (and others) recommendation, I will have to try it at the range. If worse comes to worse, it would be the perfect gun for my wife eventually.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  11. Rizzle O

Rizzle O Loaded Pockets

I love my lcp, I've had it since 2010.

Sent from my HTC Desire 625 using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. ManVsLawn

I definitely intend to try this one out when time and money allow - the almighty restricting factors.

13. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

No matter what you carry if you are doing what you are suppose to, your EDC weapon is not going to look like that beautiful teen you picked out of the case a few years ago. She will gradualy show lines and blemishes. Some parts may sag a little, yet function just as well. Her color will dull, but the temptation to introduce cosmetic procedures or even ditch her for a younger model will be totally out of the question because she has proven her loyalty.

How did she get this way?

1. She was carried every day inside a quality holster
    2. Two times a month you took her to the range feeding her a meal of 100-200 rounds
    3. Once a week you practiced drawing from your holster and dry firing
    4. Once or twice a year you took her to school where 500-1000 rounds were pumped through her, probably got dropped and maybe even spent some time in dirt, mud, sand and\or water.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  14. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Look up some torture tests on Glocks. I won't say that there aren't other polymer guns that can take as much of a beating and still fire in such crappy conditions, but they are known for it.

If that's not enough, buy yourself some Tuf-Glide and goat the internals. Clean it regularly and you should be fine. Think about it this way...do you honestly get any more dirty than a soldier does on a daily basis? And, you'll have far more opportunities to clean and protect it than they do.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  15. Tracy

Tracy Loaded Pockets

What is a "modern pistol?" There has been nothing really functionally revolutionary in autopistols in over 80 years. Even Glocks are basically a simplification of the Browning model 1935; itself a simplification of the 1911. Meanwhile, there is not a single currently available double-action revolver that is not much newer than that in its functional design.
    Gravel is not going to hang up your cylinder. However, anything that touches the slide on an autopistol can cause it to jam. Even not holding it correctly can cause it to fail to eject the spent case and feed the next round. A deformed or out of spec cartridge can lock it up tight. That is not a concern with a revolver, because each round is already seated in its own separate chamber.
    A hammerless revolver like the Ruger LCR (my choice) or S&W 642 is even less likely to have problems, because there is no hammer spur to hang up if for example you had to fire it from a coat pocket.
    Stainless steel can rust, true. But it's not gonna rust from you carrying it. Speaking from decades of experience carrying in a hot climate. You would pretty much have to store it in a bucket of salt water to get it to rust.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  16. ManVsLawn

GiraffeHooves - here ya go.

so, I finally got to the range to try some sub compact 9mm:

For reference, I am 6ft 1 and 205 lbs. My hands would be in the 'medium' range. The wife is about half a foot shorter than me, with slightly smaller hands. (Many of these pistols felt too small, grip wise, in our hands)

We only had to pay for ‘one’ rental fee, and went through 5/6 guns.

We also had to pay a 20$ instruction fee, which I am more than happy to fork over, since I knew literally nothing in regards to semis and now I feel substantially more knowledgeable. The gentlemen is one of the main people, and is a retired LEO & has other credentials to boot. He will most likely be our teacher for a ‘tactical training’ course, eventually. The more you know the better.

Ruger LC9 – almost immediately put this gun down and did not like it, before I even finished the first clip. My main issue was the extremely long trigger pull (uh… Is this thing gonna fire…bang!), and the thin “in hand” grip. Lower capacity is not a turn on. My wife had similar feelings/issues with the gun.

Beretta 9mm Bug Nano – This gun actually jammed on us and I went out to get one of the range techs to fix it. He fixed it quickly and said it wasn’t user error. My wife liked this gun, and I kinda liked this gun. Low capacity. I will say, compared to the other pistols we shot, this gun felt the ‘most shoddy’. It didn’t feel as well made as the other guns.

Sig 938 – Thin and small, but similar to the LC9, we didn’t like it for this reason. Low capacity, small grip feels ‘loose’ in hand. . It felt nice in hand, solid, but small.

Kahr PM9 – Low capacity and too thin of a handle. Are we seeing a trend here, people?

We did not get a chance to shoot the S&W M+P Shieild 9mm or the 9c. they didn’t have any available. But we held a new 9c, and it felt very similar to the Gock 26. I liked the manual safety on the 9c.

They did not have a Glock 19 available to try.

But, for all you glock fans, we really liked the Glock 26 – the capacity is a bit more, the handle/grip is a bit bigger/fuller in hand. Most of these guns left the pinky hanging a bit, this one was no exception. I do believe a +2 round clip in this (with pinky extension) would make it a ‘goldilocks’ carry pistol, for me.

So, for anyone that is following the Lawn Ape Semi Search, our lead gun is the Glock 26.

We need to give the shield and 9c a try from S&W, though. Hopefully I can hold off on buying one……..

EZDog, reppans and CSM-101 like this.
  17. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

My favorites as well (well pretty close - SW 638 & 649). Also have a G19, but I like, and shoot, my G26 better. Finally figured out what it is.... for me at least. It's the 2-finger grip (I just put a 2-finger on the 649) - the short butts nestle right in the hollow at the dead center of my palm. My G19, on the other hand, rests on the heel of hand and has this weird feeling (to me now) empty hollow in the dead center of my palm. The short grips also conceal a lot better for me.

Good luck on your choice.

(oh yeah, also have an LCP and don't like Ruger's long trigger pull, "only" ~1/3rd longer than SW, but it crosses the line for me.)

ManVsLawn and Dorian like this.
  18. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

If after you have tried the Smith and Wesson, you are still looking at glock, get your hands on a glock 19.

When you add the (pinky extension) to the 26 it is just about the same grip size of the 19 without the benefit of the extended sight radius.
    As the grip portion is traditionally the hardest part of a firearm to conceal, this makes it the configuration that is the least beneficial to use and most difficult to conceal.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  19. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

LOL just goes to prove different strokes for different folks.
    I've shoot a 26 more than once and will never own one.

ManVsLawn, Buckeye Jake and reppans like this.
  20. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

GQP or anyone... have you had any experience with the Torrey Pines Logic T10-M (30Hz) thermal imaging sight?

ManVsLawn likes this.