1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handgun for a disabled user

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by machine-gun-pat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. machine-gun-pat

machine-gun-pat Loaded Pockets

So I was in a gun accident three months ago that has permanently disabled my left hand. Thankfully I’m right handed though. So I’m in search of a ccw that can be manipulated with pretty much one hand. My left hand can’t do much and I’m having my 14th surgery in a few weeks so I can at least pinch. However I don’t believe I will be able to handle a mag or pull on a slide. So I’m thinking revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Babcock and Moco like this.
  2. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

I used to have a Ruger GP100, which I imagine could be handled one-handed, but it was on the heavier side for CCW, meaning I wore suspenders when I had it on my belt...

3. machine-gun-pat

That’s a lot of weight to be toting around

Stormdrane likes this.
  4. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

there are a lot of light weight 5 shot SW revolvers ... the aluminum frame 442, 642, and the scandium and titanium models...older Colt 6 shot aluminum frame revolvers like the Cobra too....if you want a few more shots, the .380 Beretta 86 has a tip up barrel, and allows you to load the chamber without working the slide, then shooting double action first shot followed by single action... easier to unload also

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Loaded Pockets

Smith 438

Stormdrane likes this.
  6. machine-gun-pat

I totally forgot about about tip up barrels

7. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

S&w 60. You can learn to work a auto one handed . Use your belt or table top to rack the slide .
    Most gun shops would likely load your mags for you . Or find a friend .
    The sig 238 is a very easy auto to work the slide on .

Jake

ran23 likes this.
  8. TakeDeadAim

TakeDeadAim Loaded Pockets

Wow, sorry for your injury and needing to endure all that surgery. I don't think Im telling you anything you don't know but your going to have to work to adapt to shooting, loading, unloading etc.

Revolvers, pistols both have their plusses and minus for your situation. Slide racking can be accomplished with one hand using rackers or sights like Hinne ledge which are designed for that purpose. You would want a gun with minimal controls to manipulate like a Glock as an example. Loading mags or speed loaders will take the most work mainly due to handing the rounds themselves. To carry the gun friends or family can certainly load them for you, range time may just need to be a group thing.

You might want to check with the NRA, they have a group of people who have been and continue to help disabled people get into and stay shooting. They would be a good source of adaptive gear and training for you.

9. Kody Page

Kody Page Loaded Pockets

Sorry to hear about your injury. If I were in your shoes I would still stick with an auto pistol like a Glock 19. Even with only one hand it’s way easier to put one thing in the gun than trying to line up six bullets just right. Plus if you carry a standard capacity gun, you shouldn’t have to worry about a reload in a defensive situation.

The other thing I would think about is carrying a smaller backup gun. Should you get into a defense situation and need a reload, it may just be easier to draw another gun.

dhw46725 likes this.
  10. machine-gun-pat

I like the idea of carrying a smaller gun as a secondary

Rob Babcock likes this.
  11. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

I think a revolver would be the worst decision. I would stick with a semi auto, full size or sub compact. There is plenty of training that can be done with one hand. Reloading, racking the slide, stripping a mag all can be done with one hand. Good training with a good instructor would help you more than buying a new gun.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  12. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

I was going to suggest the Beretta 86 as well. The only problem is that they are getting harder to find and when you do find them they are fairly pricey. I think the last one I saw at a gun show was over a year ago and if I recall correctly it was pushing $600+ used.

13. machine-gun-pat

That’s a little pricey

14. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

an additional thought....I had an opportunity to play with the new SW .380 Shield EZ... it is very easy to manipulate the slide, even with minimum strength, and relatively inexpensive compared the Beretta m86....even with minimal weak thumb and forefinger strength, a competent pistol smith could fabricate a small slide racker/rear sight combo, to hook your finger to hold the slide, and push the frame forward to charge the pistol

Last edited by les snyder, Jul 3, 2018
    #14 les snyder, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  15. drewthebrave

drewthebrave Loaded Pockets

I would expect a revolver to be the simplest manual of arms to use with one hand. While the suggestions above of a Glock sound like a worthwhile option, I would worry about a malfunction. I think it would be a challenge to clear a misfeed or a failure to eject with one hand.

While you give up some capacity compared to a semi auto, I think the simplicity of a revolver makes it the best initial choice. At least until you can train effectively to clear potential malfunctions with a semi-auto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

16. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Semi-auto all the way. I can imagine how difficult it would be to pop out your empties from a revolver cylinder one-handed, versus using the thumb of your shooting hand to press one button on a semi auto. And that’s assuming you don’t have any stuck/stubborn brass in the cylinder.
    Reloading a semi-auto? Place the mag, upright on a stable surface or hold it between your knees (or wherever) and bring the gun down into it. Much, much easier than trying to manipulate an open cylinder that’s flopping around while lining up a speed loader or moon clips, let alone individual cartridges.
    Plenty of videos out there showing how to clear a semi auto malfunction (tap-rack-bang) one handed. You will need iron sights that are capable, though. Better yet, use a red dot, if your pistol fits one.

I love revolvers, too, but if I was limited to one-hand use, I wouldn’t rely on one for self defense. Casual range use is another story.

jbj likes this.
  17. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

you can look to some of the things in competitive shooting to help. There are things like slide rackers that will add leverage. things like this: https://dawsonprecision.com/springer-precision-s-w-m-p-competition-red-slide-racker/

you can also get the ledge sights as mentioned, and you will need to learn how to reload. That may mean drop the mag, reholster the gun, insert new mag (the holster will hold it steady for you) and draw again. I've seen it done well, there are videos on youtube. Other things that will help are reduced weight recoil springs so there's less effort.

18. machine-gun-pat

So after going to the range multiple times and shooting both semi-auto’s and revolvers I have come to realize that a revolver is the easiest to operate.

HarryD likes this.
  19. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Glad you found something that works!