1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handgun choice by video game influence

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Queen of Saigon, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Queen of Saigon

Queen of Saigon Loaded Pockets

I grew up with video games and obviously it makes me want to buy every iconic handgun from my fav games.
    Whats yours?

2. randylahey

randylahey Loaded Pockets

I don't think about this so much with video games than i do with movies. Growing up in the 80's, games were too simple to highlight an actual real life firearm alternate.

Recently, the only game that has ever made me actually want to own a specific handgun has been the Metal Gear series with the USP in Sons of Liberty, a 1911 in any of them, and the FN Five Seven in MGS4.

3. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

With all due respect, no offense intended and this is not directed at anyone in particular! Nothing personal, so please don't take it that way. This thinking is far more prevalent than just this post.

Anyone who chooses, or even contemplates, a firearm based on a video game or a movie is both foolish, immature and misguided. I have a VERY strong opinion about this subject (so forgive me in advance). I am very much of the opinion; it is thinking like this which represents a serious problem in our society today.

Firearms are NOT toys, they are NOT fantasy and their ownership is NOT based on "cool factor"! Movies are NOT real; video games are NOT real. Movies, almost without exception, portray firearms totally incorrectly and inaccurately (both in capacity as well as function, power and lethality). Same, maybe even more so, with video games. Heroes don't take a gunshot to the shoulder and swagger off into the sunset with their hottie, not in real life. Bad guys don't get "blown" backwards 5 feet in the air when shot, not in real life. These notions, are the things which (IMNSHO) cause immature people to do irresponsible things (like shoot up theaters and the like), and they do it because this is how they perceive firearms based on movies and fantasy 1st person shooter games. Bad guys most often don't fall down "dead" immediately upon being shot either. The same goes for innocent guys who get shot. They usually go to the hospital and suffer in agony through multiple surgeries to repair broken bones and major trauma to tissue...or DIE. A gunshot wound is a serious, life threatening, event no matter where one is hit.

Real firearms are DEADLY...ALWAYS (no matter how small). "Unloaded" firearms are the most deadly of all ('unloaded' in quotes, because there are many fatalities where people think a firearm is unloaded before they start playing John Wayne with it). With real firearms comes personal responsibility. People who make conscious decisions about real-life firearms based largely upon movies or video games lack the responsibility and maturity required for ownership.

As a firearms instructor and avid enthusiast, I am angered by the portrayal of firearms in movies. I further believe 1st person shooter games should be outlawed (or severely restricted); they desensitize people (particularly younger people) to the realities of firearms and their real-world effects. I am constantly amazed by the unending clamor for more gun laws, when the causes of this violence are completely overlooked.

Again, my sincerest apologies if this is perceived as being personal; it is not intended to be...AT ALL! In the same breath, I believe responsible firearms owners should be tireless and never rest when it comes to addressing misguided thinking related to firearms.

/off my soapbox...

kukla, DannyX, jag-engr and 8 others like this.
  4. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

Handguns not really, rifles yes. After playing the Rainbow Six Vegas series I've wanted a Tavor.

5. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

DCBman , I 100% agree with your post.

The firearms I own are NOT toys and I don't treat them as such.

I completely understand and and agree with your post and where you're coming from. Video games to me are a toy. I'm also an adult. For me these games are an escape from the Daily grind of work.

Children should not be playing these games, yet they do. Teenagers, eh debatable. I was playing some of these games when I was a teenager and I have no illusions of the false reality of video games.

Although I play these violent video games and watch movies that are just as violent, I understand that they're fantasy.

In real life I'm a responsible gun owner. But right now I'm going to hop on some Rainbow Six siege as its my day off and my laundry is currently drying.

rca2016 and Queen of Saigon like this.
  6. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I'm still trying to hit ANYTHING while doing a nose-stand on my Honda and shooting a pistol like Tom Cruise did in "Mission Impossible".

7. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I def remember watching Lethal Weapon and wanting a Beretta 92.

Graywolf.dv and Queen of Saigon like this.
  8. r1dg3xrac3r

r1dg3xrac3r Loaded Pockets

The original MGS series Snake had a 1911 Operator. Love that gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

9. randylahey

randylahey Loaded Pockets

I agree obviously that guns are not toys however it's undeniable that there is a very strong glorification of guns in our culture and has been for quite some time. Really since the 60's or 70's. Video games are an extension of that culture.

That said, you should play the Metal Gear games. The series has constantly wrestled with the conscience of violence and rewarded players for using alternate methods than killing and penalized or at least made well aware to the player that war and killing has a profound affect on a person (The Sorrow battle in MGS3 or the Demon Snake transformation in MGS5 are prime examples.)

rca2016 likes this.
  10. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I have never considered elements of a game to be a crossover into real life.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  11. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

I'm ot sure about a video game but Marty Robbins "Big Iron" does seem to promote my fantasy of walking into town with a 1911 strapped to my hip. Or maybe I'm thinking of The Walking Dead...

12. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

hitman. if i were to get a pistol it would be that one. haha.

Para-Ordnance P18.9, just googled it. i guess this is the one

13. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I was never that much into video games but I did play Battlefield 1942 for a while so I'm going to say a 1911 and a BAR. Later I used to watch the girlfriend's kid play Call of Duty and the goofball would spend so much time switching weapons that he'd get shot while doing it. :)

I would agree that video games tend to desensitize kids and make it seem that shooting someone is no big deal because they'll just respawn in a few seconds no worse for wear. Of course I and every other kid on the block had some kind of cap gun and we all ran around playing soldiers but the intensity of the violence was a whole lot lower.

14. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

I saw someone at the range trying to do a mag change on an AK like on Call of Duty and I was like, "yep, he's a gamer." I think that these first person shooter games have taught a lot of people "facts" about guns. I'd say if you put several guns in a group, most Call of Duty players could pick the ones from the games out of the line up. I used to play a lot of FPS games (Call of Duty and Battlefield) and it taught me a lot of "facts" about some exotic guns, but when it comes to my firearms purchases, I went with what I felt was the best combination of functionality and price. I CC a Beretta Nano and an M&P 9c, which are two firearms that don't show up in the games. I would never think "I went 30-2 with a PS90, so I need to run out and buy one."

On the other hand, I don't think it is 100% a bad thing, either. My brother-in-law used the Beretta Storm carbine in Battlefield 4, which caused him to become interested in it in real life, so after handling one at the local fun shop, he purchased one. It's a nice gun.

15. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16 Loaded Pockets

Mine is definitely the Needler from Halo. Need to pick one of those up one of these days...

Honestly, I really want a P90 just based on Stargate Atlantis but... haven't actually pulled that trigger yet.

16. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

Best game series of all time in my mind. :D I would love a USP as well.

Maybe my opinion is a bit unpopular, I don't know, but I don't think violent video games should be subject to any ban whatsoever. I am a pro-liberty U.S. citizen. I don't like firearm restrictions and I don't like restrictions on forms of artwork. It is our government's duty to protect our freedoms first and our safety second, not the other way around, and censorship of what artists can create is a first amendment infringement that is every bit as ridiculous as restricting firearms.

It is the duty of each individual playing games and handling firearms to know the difference between real life and fantasy. I can't help but notice that those that claim violent movies and video games blur the lines between reality and fantasy are generally not psychologists and that studies that look into this generally conclude that violent people with issues tend to enjoy violent video games and movies, NOT that violent movies and video games made them that way to begin with. There's a good Penn & Teller :censored: episode on the topic that I would encourage everybody to watch.

Anyway, more on topic, if it weren't for video games like Metal Gear Solid then I would never have gotten as into firearms as I have. I DID NOT go into it thinking that guns were toys. I was able to separate real life and fantasy just fine. Video games simply served as a spark to ignite my interest in shooting. From then on, I did some research of my own on gun safety (yes, I looked into gun safety and handling information before I ever even started shopping of my own accord) and enlisted the help of my father (Marine) and my "Uncle" (Father's best friend, Marine, and former SWAT in L.A.) to help me learn some basics. I learned a little bit on a .22 when I was younger but never got too into it. Once I started really developing an interest, my dad picked up a Colt M1991A1 ORM pistol used to move up to - Which made me happy as it was a firearm used by a favorite character of mine.

Again, I have no problem separating reality and fantasy when it comes to video games. There is NOTHING wrong with a person of sound mind enjoying digital media and guns at the same time. There is NOTHING wrong with hobbies, nor is there anything wrong with crossover between your hobbies! If you know how to safely operate a weapon and you want an HK Mk23 because Solid Snake used one in Metal Gear Solid, GREAT! More power to you. There's nothing wrong with that.

17. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

In MGS4, yes. I picked up a "Champion Operator" back when the game came out. It was a nice pistol but I ended up parting with it as I moved away from the 1911 platform.

Original MGS = HK Mk23. I have Solid Snake smoking a cigarette with his Mk23 looking right at me in front of my computer, actually! :D

[​IMG]

And Punished Snake was a birthday gift back in September shortly after the game came out. My friends know me well! Now if only they'd make Naked Snake (MGS3) in Tiger Stripe Camouflage...

Fish, Queen of Saigon and r1dg3xrac3r like this.
  18. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

My favorite guns from a video game are the Frost nova and the Lightning strike :D.

19. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I think that the CoD/MGS/Battlefield type games are a good way to get the youth interested in the shooting sports. however I think that an un-moderated virginal enthusiasm for firearms though the lens of video games is akin to someone (also virginal) who views sex though the lens of hardcore :censored:. The fantasy is not at all like the reality (generally). Like all things that require experience to master, enthusiasm must be tempered with a cool head and a willingness to learn. Every time I get a chance to provide some well earned knowledge to a young person who remarks that one of my firearms are "just like xxxx from CoD/Battlefield" I view it as win for responsible future gun ownership.

I didn't grow up with video games, but 80s action movies. The 92 and the MP5SD are guns seared into my childhood memories. I own a 92 and USP because I always wanted one from my favorite movies. I recently got to shoot a full auto MP5 and a full auto Glock 17. It was nothing like the movies or video games. it was MOAR AWESOMER.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xz_fxYcX69E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for typing this up for me. :D I agree 100%.

I'm not a gamer but I don't see the difference in learning about the existence of a gun in a game versus learning about it in a magazine or online or in a store. The rest of the process is going to be the same whether it's an impulse buy or you spend days researching.

The entertainment industry almost universally gets it WRONG when it comes to dealing with guns. I don't think this is entirely by accident. Though I'm sure a lot of it is laziness on the part of writers/directors/producers/actors who got their gun education from the same industry in which they work, as well as audience expectation.

I think we all recognize that entertainment is supposed to be an escape from reality, not a literal part of it.