1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Handgrey, worth the price?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by TheGremlin, Sep 14, 2021.

1. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I believe that after years of searching I have come close to the perfect (for me) EDC. Please don't kick me out, I solemnly swear to continue to spend my money on items I don't need.
    But the current thing I'm tinkering with is key management. Right now I'm looking at upgrading my carabiner, and Handgrey has come into my view. I've also seen an almost identical 'biner by Valtcan for about a third of the price, but it seems like a pretty blatant knock off, and frankly I'd rather give my money to the original designer if it makes sense to do so.
    So my question is this: is Handgrey of a good enough quality to justify the price tag, or should I save the money and just go for the fake?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

lnytunes and echo victor like this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'd never heard of Valtcan, but they definitely borrow from HandGrey. I have a $7~8 unbranded titanium clip off of eBay that is similar in design. It is a surprisingly good clip and featherweight. When I tried to order more of them, though, I was sent some clips that were cut the same, but from steel. Caveat emptor.

On a separate note, if you want quality and don't need something heavy-duty, I'd go for a MagnusX (previously Cogent Industries) Hook-Up Clip. They are little marvels of design and engineering.

TheGremlin likes this.
  3. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the info. Those MagnusX carabiners look interesting for sure. I'm definitely have ideas for those.

But as for my query, I have gone in a different direction. Apparently Trayvax makes a bunch of edc type stuff now, so I have a titanium carabiner inbound.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk