1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hand Sanitizer Small Container Carry Options

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by jag-engr, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Alcohol-based waterless hand sanitizer can be a very useful product. In addition to the obvious use, it is also useful for starting fires and treating poison ivy/oak exposure.

I keep some in my Jeep and some in my desk at work. However, I would like to keep some on my person.

The smallest containers that I have ever personally encountered are the 0.5 oz containers like this. I would really like to get a chap-stick-tube-sized vial of hand sanitizer or a chap-stick-tube-sized, water-tight vial that I could put the hand sanitizer in. I would prefer that it be plastic so that I can squeeze the container. I know some people carry it a steel pill fob, but I can foresee that being difficult to get out. Something in this size range would be quite easy to carry in a leather purse with my Chap Stick, nail clippers, and back up light.

I am definitely open to other suggestions, as well. I know some people carry single use wipes. Are these the same substance, more or less, as the hand sanitizer gel?

Any personal experience in these regards would be appreciated.

2. jopela

jopela Loaded Pockets

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Hmmm,... :thinking: that looks interesting, but the fact that it is not alcohol based would reduce its utility for other uses. Still, thank you very much for the link.

4. zpo

zpo Empty Pockets

Its refillable, and a sprayer. You can refill with an alcohol based cleaner if you like, but I doubt a gel would work in the sprayer.

5. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

Up at the top of that page it says minimum order is 250.

6. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

I was looking for something similar about 6 months ago. I eventually found a travel sized bottle of Visine. Its about the same size as a tube of Chapstick (shorter but wider). It holds enough sanitizer to clean my hands twice before refilling.

7. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Another option, but only one-time use is to carry a Purell Handwipe packet-which is alcohol based, and can also double as firestarting tinder. You can buy a box of ((20)? for a few dollars.

I always carry one in my wallet.

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Brilliant! That sounds like just what I'm looking for. I just better make sure and change the label. :shocked:

This is my back-up plan. I may actually do both and use the wipes for bag/car carry.

9. devilchasnme

devilchasnme Guest

I used to carry the small .5 oz of Purell hand sanitizer when I worked in a restaurant because there's much humanity coming from who knows where but I never get sick anyway so I was never sure if it did anything.

10. bblatt11

bblatt11 Empty Pockets

Asa germaphobe, I actually have a Purell budget.
    The purell wipes are great, but the small purell containers fit neatly onto either a keychain, or into the coin pocket of a pair of pants. rather than use and replace, I also by the larger dispenser bottles and use those as refill containers.
    Cost wise, if you're going for the purell wipes, you may be better off getting some standard hospital alcohol wipes - thin, cheap, effective tends to beat out thin, moderately priced, gimmicky in the long run

11. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

Over at Walgreen's they actually have a hand sanitizer pen. Costs about 2 bucks USD. If youre a germaphobe this is not the product for you because it only has about 20 sprays in it. But if you want to keep one around "just in case" then it's a pretty convenient item.

12. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

I purchased a pack of the Walgreen's sanitizer pens. They worked fine at first. What I disliked about them is that for some reason they evaporated very quickly. I'm guessing that to work as a spray they have a higher concentration of alcohol. The ones left in the glove compartment were dry in under a month. Left in the house they made it past 2 months.

13. Starcruiser1229

Starcruiser1229 Loaded Pockets

Another Option, at Walmart in the 1'st aid section they sell boxes of "Red Cross" hand sanitizer PACKETS - they are .9g (or 1/32 oz) each, and they are the alcohol gel - 62% to be specific (think catchup packets, only a bit smaller and not as full). They also have aloe, which is nice when you are actually just using it on your hands... I find one is about enough to do my hands... I personally carry these, and keep the bottle for my bag. I just change them out every few months if I haven't used them, so they don't pop in my pocket (I don't think that has actually happened, just being careful). Oh, and the Red Cross gets some tiny bit of $ from the sale, too. Personally, I bought a box over a year ago and I still have some left - only use it if I touch something nasty, etc.

Incidentally I always carry a few "lobster wipes" - I think they are also called wetnaps? small moist towelettes in an individual packet, these are NOT antibacterial, but they are great for, eg, wiping catchup off myself.

I can post a pic if anyone wants one.

Hope this Helps,
    Patrick

14. iamsalomon

iamsalomon Loaded Pockets

I know this an old thread but its worth revisiting. I was at Wallyworld the other day looking for the beforementioned Red Cross packets and didn't see them. Does anyone know where I can get these? Also where would I purchase the wetnaps?

Kind regards,
    John

15. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

I found the wetnaps, and ultra small bottles of hand sanitizer in the trial size/travel bins at Target. Not too sure about where they'd be at Wally World though.

16. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Check the travel size section in the pharmacy section. I found them there and near the checkout lines.

17. Wooden Foot

Wooden Foot Empty Pockets

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have at least one 1/2oz. Purell bottle left. I bought a six-pack of them about 3 years ago at a Pharmacy. I just keep refilling them from bigger bottles of Purell. I used to EDC the 1oz. bottles. They were the perfect size for me. Then for some bizarre reason, Purell and the other hand-sanitizer companies stopped making 1oz. bottles available in NYC.

On a recent trip to Vegas, I noticed they were still available out there. I can't even find the 1/2oz. bottles. It's frustrating as Hell! I guess those companies decided to cater to the Hard-Core Germophobes out on the east coast, instead of average folks who work in dirty enviornments. The freaking 2oz. bottles are everywhere, and they're too big.

19. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

20. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

another vote for the survivalstraps version. His stuff is top drawer.