1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hand/Power tools thread....

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by rsitter, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

My wife is great at getting hints (or should i say great at following orders) so for my last birthday i got me a brand new one of these;
    [​IMG]
    Its a very neat little beast, tiny yet powerful enough for my home-needs and the 2,5 batteries last forever and with the quick charger charge way faster than i can empty em! Ill be getting more of this line for sure.

2. Sparkdave

Sparkdave Loaded Pockets

I have the same drill! Liives in my theatre kit is excellent for hanging displays. Also have the impact driver and screwdriver but they live in my garage

pacrawshaw likes this.
  3. Westerdutch

Do you have the brushless or brushed ones? I'm not sure if getting more brushless ones in this line is worth it for me, drills i use a lot but other battery powered tools less so. Thinking of buying the others in regular version but I'm not sure if I'll like those as much...

4. Sparkdave

Sparkdave Loaded Pockets

The regular chuck is brushless and the impact iis as well not sure about the screwdriver but I guess so. Yeah they work well. Worth the upgrade IMO

5. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Quickly becoming my favorite tool for cutting metal >1/2'' or just heating stuff up to insane temps.
    Had a smaller portable setup, but it didnt quite have the testicular fortitude for what I need.

Much easier to toss on the truck than a plasma cutter and more versatile. (no compressor)
    Im convinced that,with a good torch, good grinder, and a pile of 7018, there isnt much you cant get done.

[​IMG]

6. Westerdutch

Oh fancy, do you keep those bottles in your garage tho?

7. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Yeah, ive got 2 sets of those, and about 6 others of other gases.
    The ones that are hooked to machines stay in the garage, extras are stored in their own shed.

If you know how to handle them, it takes some doing to hurt yourself.

Believe it or not, the only tool in the shop that genuinely scares me are angle grinders.

I also make a living doing welding/fab work, so itd be counter productive to store everything outside of my work area.

8. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]multu use bought them on sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Westerdutch

Oh it's not about hurting yourself, you can do that with any tool. It more about those bottles making the difference between a small fire and a very bad explosion. Was just wondering if you were allowed to store those near a house.

10. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

New-ish Ti 14oz hammer[​IMG]

11. Westerdutch

Titanium hammers are so cool but i just cannot for the life of me ever buy one as for me there's not a single advantage to the material other than the looks and bragging rights... If one of these days i find a use one for little money i might just get one for that warm and fuzzy new-tool feeling.

12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Finally got a Craftsman 1/2" Impact wrench in 19.2v, maybe I will do my own tyre rotations.

13. Westerdutch

If this is something you always have done by a garage then its definitely something you can do yourself. Just remember to keep an eye on your tires to see if they have direction marks (so dont swap from left to right) and if you have alloys dont torq down the bolts with your impact wrench as that will be too much force.

ran23 likes this.
  14. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

From experience I can tell you that if you use a hammer to hang a picture once in a while then a Ti hammer is not for you, if you use a hammer every day then a Ti hammer is worth the cash.
    The major attraction to using a titanium hammer is vibration and weight. Titanium, as a metal has the same strength as steel with 45% less weight, and exhibits much less vibration than steel. Overall less stress on the body every given day.....

And then there is the bragging rights

WillAdams likes this.
  15. Westerdutch

Well, im a firm believer that the head of a hammer needs to be of a stiffer more unforgiving material as the more impact is being eaten by the head the less is transferred to the object you're hitting (rubber is an even better dampening material, try driving a nail down with a rubber mallet). Heck if they invented a tungsten carbide that didn't shatter so easily id buy a hammer made from that in a heartbeat. Vibration reduction is a job for the handle. I have a feeling that a lot of the benefits of a ti hammer is marketing swang but i would still love to own one to find out myself and get proven wrong..... they sure a pretty... And they don't rust!

kye4some likes this.
  16. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

As someone who has swung a hammer his entire life (eswing) I can tell you that ti. Hammers are great. I made the switch last year. I don't get the hand shock and my shoulder doesn't get near as tired .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ran23 and kye4some like this.
  17. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Youd love my bfh.

Head is 3" round bar, with an A2 face on one side and silicon bronze on the other.
    Handle is just a 2' piece of 1" .25 wall dom scrap with padded beads to make the handle.
    (not at work or id put up a pic.

18. Ryan McKenzie

Ryan McKenzie Loaded Pockets

Currently waiting on a new impact, decided to switch over to Milwaukee and went with the new M18 Fuel Surge, this will be the first of many M18 and M12 tools I buy

19. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Try one of their new 9ah batteries, stupid run time.
    Ive got one of their cordless grinders I use at work, havent charged it in 3 days.

kye4some likes this.
  20. yukon2004

yukon2004 Loaded Pockets

I'm an auto tech, so I'm always buying new tools. Here is my most recent purchase. Should be here tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro