1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hammocks!?! Your Favorite one?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by masonshin1, Aug 1, 2016.

?

Hammock or Tent?

1. Tent

18.2%
  2. Hammock

81.8%
  1. masonshin1

masonshin1 Über prepared

Just got my first hammock! pretty excited to use it on an upcoming adventure, i did a few mods (replacing cord with paracord, tying knots in the straps)
    ive also got some ENO tree straps. The hammock i got is the Hennessy Hammock Expedition Series.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    do you have a hammock? if so be sure to post a pic!

cole3418 likes this.
  2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have a DD Hammock, no pics sorry, but really happy about it.

Henryhoover and masonshin1 like this.
  3. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

DD for me too

[​IMG]

Nick4305 and masonshin1 like this.
  4. HCFXJ

HCFXJ Loaded Pockets

I have castaway double camping hammock with no fly zone mosquito net, and a tarp.

masonshin1 likes this.
  5. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I paid $6 for a hammock in the Philippines back in 2000. We ended up missing our ride back to the ship and I tied it up under a beach cabana. Slept like a baby high and dry while it rained all night. My buddy spent a miserable night half wet on a bench. Best $6 I ever spent. I still have that hammock.

masonshin1 likes this.
  6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My favorite is a double wide one a little Mexican lady in Merida made me in the 80's. Still perfect.

Sent by owl post.

Quino171 and masonshin1 like this.
  7. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

Please don't use paracord for your suspension lines. One, it's not sufficiently rated for the dynamic forces in a hammock set up (it's not as simple as saying I weigh 160lb the cord is rated to 500lb). Two, it's a nylon cord that'll stretch when a load is applied to it.

Instead, I'd recommend you buy a 20-30 feet of Amsteel and learn how to make whoopie slings - it's fun and easy and MUCH more convenient for hanging your hammock.

As to the original question, my favourite hammock without a doubt is my Warbonnet Ridgerunner - SO COMFORTABLE. Next to that, I like my own DIY hammocks. I'm going to make another but I need to investigate a source of lightweight material. Previously I have used ripstop nylon but I think I'd like to try pertex.

cole3418 and Nick4305 like this.
  8. HCFXJ

HCFXJ Loaded Pockets

I use rachet straps around the tree, the ones you pull tight also let's me use the extra to tie together to hang bug net or tarp

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm just curious. Assuming the paracord is a good quality version (meaning proper braided yarns for the core I guess), if it truly met the standards for a parachute, why wouldn't it be able to handle a hammock? I maybe am being naive, but I'd expect that in a parachute the dynamic forces would be at least what they are for a hammock? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Moshe ben David

10. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

Para cord by design has stretch capability built in, as hammock suspension you do not want any stretch. Also there is the strength issue, 550 para cord is rated at 550 pounds the forces exerted during the act of hanging a hammock at an improper angle are enormous. The webbing or amsteal rope provides the ability to hang improperly and still have some safety margins, even a short drop of 18 inches in the middle of the night when your suspension fails can be devastation on your tail bone and back .. Even if you don't hit obstacles in the process. Hammock suspension is no place to cut corners and based on the cost of quality suspension components make no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viper101 likes this.
  11. masonshin1

masonshin1 Über prepared

i didnt have any pictures of my hammock at the time of posting, these arent pictures of my hammock. the only place my hammock has paracord is on the rain fly. thanks for your concern!

12. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

Look at picking up some lash it for your tarp, again no stretch and light weight. Once you use lash it or Lawson glow wire you will never go back to para cord. I have even switched out my use of para cord to Mule tape, no stretch and rated at 1400 pounds. Mule tape has so many more uses vs para cord although it's more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. masonshin1

masonshin1 Über prepared

im pretty sure my hammock rope is fine. i weigh 115 lb

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Thanks for clarifying!

Moshe ben David

15. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

Not forgetting that knots derate a line - IIRC a clove hitch, for example, is about 50%

Much less of a concern then :) Still not the way I'd go - paracord has it's uses but IMO there are better solutions for ridgelines and tieouts - I use 3mm dyneema as I like that it doesn't absorb water (ugh wet paracord) and doesn't stretch.

Personally I don't hang off 'pretty sure', once you snap a suspension line and bruise your coxis maybe you'll change your mind too.

16. masonshin1

masonshin1 Über prepared

the hammock is rated for 250lb im not even half the weight. and ropes are non replaceable, there's aslo no actual weight on the paracord cuz they're attatched to the rain tarp and not the hammock.

17. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

I have an ENO double and their Profly that I use for camping. Atlas straps for suspension. I use continuous suspension line to hang the tarp. I've used this set up dozens of times. Funny I have actually never used a bug net, and I've never really had any issues.

18. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

Using a Trek Light Gear hammock with whoopie slings off amazon. [​IMG][​IMG]

19. masonshin1

masonshin1 Über prepared

it could be your specific blood type, like type O

20. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

I have a Warbonnet Blackbird XL and a Hammock Gear 0 Degree under quilt. Covered by a $7 Harbor freight tarp modified with some extra gromets. You can't see the hammock that great in this picture, I usually set the tarp a little higher but that night there was very strong winds and snow.
    [​IMG]Winter Hammock Setup by Cole Ewert, on Flickr

HCFXJ and masonshin1 like this.