1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ham Radios - EDC

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Kripto, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

For what its worth, I think a lot of it is not based on the FCC, but ends up being inept OOs and OOCs. Here in the SF Bay Area, in the north bay (San Francisco proper) we don't even have an OOC AFAIK. But in the peninsula (Redwood City, Palo Alto, etc) the OOC is VERY much on top of things. He does regular T-Hunts and pinkslips hams. We've even had a couple of decent outcomes with Jammers (to the tune of $10,000) and a destroyed hamshack (The jammer was made to watch as his $20k in equipment was destroyed.)

As an OO here, I regularly monitor the bands report jamming and record/document the time and location. Luckily other hams have told the jammers that they are being tracked and recorded and they usually stop.

As for modding radios, I have no problem with opening them up, as long as you know the very exact specifics of where your radio is transmitting and that you make sure that it isn't deviating. If my bandscope picks up spurious transmissions from a source, I let them know. The OOC in this area has a very nice device that can identify the transmitter by transmitted signal (profile of the transmitter) and he can tell exactly which radio it is, he profiles the transmission and then if he notes that the transmitter is used for OOB (out of band) transmissions and that its a modded ham radio, he makes note of it and will pinkslip/report them. He has NO problem with doing that.

I also found out recently that a local peace officer has been suspended for using non department equipment (modded) and he was warned. So if you get away with it, more power to you.. But there is precedent for suspension and termination for doing it.

Just my .02

Mark
    (K6EF)

quote author=AKS link=topic=23270.msg351047#msg351047 date=1247418440]
    Flight-ER-Doc,
    well said. Having spent the past 18 months trying to get enforcement action taken against 2 different "jammers" and hearing first-hand from both unpaid SWAT guys and actual FCC staff they are slammed with real violations by those who are malicious in their intent. And we had hours of recording with both voice ID and directional azmuths pointing to the offenders and they took 4 months to go knock on the doors- one was a fishing boat. My suspicion is much like yours, it is highly doubtful for any action to be taken.
    And yes the fees and political :censored: associated with getting acceptance is insane. ICOM went through a long round of it in 2002-3 to get some military contracts and it was only worth it then because of the large number of units they were going to sell.
    So again, for those of us doing this on rare occasion to provide aid in real time using a 5 watt HT on a rubber duck are not likely high on the list of those either causing interferance or of those to be hunted down and cited.
    [/quote]

2. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel Empty Pockets

3. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Finally freed up a bit of money and bought a Yaesu VX-3R. Still need to make a first contact, though. But I am on the airwaves.

Revs
    KF7AIN

4. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Loaded Pockets

Congrats on the purchase, you'll enjoy that radio.

5. MrEarp

MrEarp Loaded Pockets

Getting back on topic :) I always edc a ham radio. USually an FT60R or a VX8R from Yaesu along with my County TK2180

Nate I know several people here are into the E-COM type of stuff. I participate regularly with my ARES / RACES / CERT teams. :)

6. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

What are the rules and implications of using a handheld marine vhf inland?

7. maxweljames

maxweljames Loaded Pockets

My brother is a cop that was involved with one of the university shootings. He said that all the area's cell phone systems went down immediately following the attack due to the shear volume of calls being sent out, no calls, no texts, no mobile internet. On top of that, every emergency service from 40 miles around responded. The radio waves were so jammed that nobody could get their messages through. The only saving grace was push-to-talk phones which I guess operate on a different system than cell phone towers. I'll have to ask him if any hams helped out using freqs other than those for emergency services.

So here is my real question. I've always thought about getting into ham, studied code for awhile but never finished, and of course never took the test. In this day and age of internet, are there any online testing sites? Or do I still have to find somebody locally authorized to give me a test? What's the process, enlighten me since everyone here says it's so easy to do now a days. I'd love to get started in it.

8. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I'm amazed no one got back to you on this. As far as I know there are no means of taking the test online. It could have to do with checking your ID.

There are many online practice tests, which use the same question pools as the actual tests.

Your best bet to find a locally administered test is to contact a local club. You can probably get the information at www.arrl.org

9. rhicks

rhicks Loaded Pockets

There are no online tests. Each test must be overseen by at least three examiners and prior to testing they must verify your identity. This is usually
    done by your drivers license. The tech license is not that difficult and will get you on the air. The real fun, IMO, is HF. General exams are a step up
    in difficulty but are very doable with moderate study.

Exam schedules can be searched for here:
    http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

As for practice test, I recommend the QRZ.com practice exams at:
    http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

10. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I like the practice tests at eham.net myself. I have yet to get my Extra.

I agree that HF is where the fun is, but that is really personal preference. Some hams have fun with microwaves. :idiot2:

11. maxweljames

maxweljames Loaded Pockets

Thanks for writing back. I found the questions online and printed off a copy of the pools for all three tests, the closest examiner is about 30 miles from me so I think I'll just take all three at once and be done with it. Tech is a piece of cake, General so far looks like cake, and I haven't really looked at the questions for Extra, but I'm guessing it too will be cake, and if not, some other delightful sugary treat. In my alter ego life off the internet I am in a fairly technical field so most of it is simple review from years ago, the only thing I'm learning new is laws concerning HAM. But none-the-less, I'll keep studying for another month or so before testing. I would love to walk out with all 3 tests 100%.

Thanks for the links too, I really like the ease of how to use the online practice tests.