1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ham Radios - EDC

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Kripto, Dec 22, 2008.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Been licensed as a tech for about 11 years now and used to be more active. Went to local club meetings, etc. I still like listening but don't do much talking. In fact, I'm transmitter-less right now. Like others have mentioned, the cell phone and FRS blister packs from your local big box store has made instant communication available to the masses and reduced the interest in amateur radio.

2. baz

baz Empty Pockets

New guy here. Not trying to :bump: the thread, but I almost edc a 2 meter HT. If not on my person, it is always in my car, and I'm never very far from my car.

3. Hutch

Hutch Empty Pockets

What HT do you carry?

I just picked up a Yaesu VX8R and I love it. My old HT was the VX5.

4. needbiggerpockets

needbiggerpockets Loaded Pockets

I carry two multi-band HT's in my computer bag every day. One is a tiny Yeasu VX-2 that looks more like a cellphone (convenient at times when I'm monitoring a frequency) and the other is a VX-5 that does the real comms work. As the OP said cellphones are useful until something bad happens, then 2meter and 440 repeaters are the only things that I can count on for communications where I work in downtown Washington DC. Have more comm gear in the car, but it's parked in a commercial garage a couple blocks away, and I'm betting that they will quickly go into lockdown mode since there's a federal emergency response agency in that building.

5. Pack Lemming

Pack Lemming Empty Pockets

Just bought myself a couple of China cheap Puxing888's (UHF/VHF)2 way. according to the sales blurb they take Motorola fixtures for handsfree, vox, DTMF, and a couple extra nice features.

i) they're cheap
    ii) the manual isnt that badly translated into English
    iii) user interface and set up wasnt that forgiving,with quite a few multiple button press combinations
    iv) I doubt they hold up to foul weather very well and certainly arent water proof like the Yaesu-VX 8R i've read so much about (that one is next on my 'list')
    v) battery run time appears to be around 15 hours while scanning (albeit without audio output (frequencies were silent as a graveyard during my inital test)
    vi) compact, and fairly rugged plastic casing

A good purchess all in all.

6. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Thanks for mentioning Puxing; didn't know they existed. Couldn't justify the cost of an HT but Puxing pricing (<$100) removes that hurdle. User reviews on eHam are mostly favorable. Guess it's time to get a license.

7. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

How much would you want for the 7R? I am a new Ham and looking for a first HT. Kinda on a limited budget with work being so slow. I have been looking at the Yaesu line and like the features of them. Was thinking of a 3R.

8. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

I have been looking for a HT myself and just cannot decide is there a real "need" for anything other than a single 2 meter radio for EDC? I would like to have RX for the weather, emergency services, aircraft, and military bands. And TX on 2 meter, maybe more. I would like to keep my cost below $300 if possible, got suggestions?

9. tysonb

tysonb Loaded Pockets

I carry a Motorola HT1250 in 70cm (I have 4 of them) and Motorola CDM1550 units in my vehicles, but now that I live in Newfoundland with about a billion kms of shoreline and even more boats, 2m and VHF are where it's at. I sure do like that Yaesu though.

Tyson

10. chris in mo

chris in mo Loaded Pockets

I just received a VX-7R this week. I am studying for the technician license now so I have not used it to transmit yet. I will say the build quality seems to be outstanding on this radio it feels very solid in the hand and the controls all feel very well crafted and secure. It is smaller than I expected which is great and I am AMAZED at all the functions this little thing performs. I debated between a couple of radios and between a few different ones in the Yeasu line up. I am glad I chose the one with all the features that this one has!

11. Vulcan

Vulcan Loaded Pockets

VE6JHC here.....I carry the Yaesu VX-5 HT. I swapped out the lame rubber ducky antenna and replaced it with a decent whip that I can bent around it so it will fit in a very small pocket etc.

12. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

With all of the gadgets for it, it's worth about $150 I think.. But I would take it in trade for a decent bag or knife. :)

-Mark

13. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I'm a ham and talk on the mobile 2m almost every workday (sometimes broadcast gets my attention.) My only HT is an old 2m Alinco (DJ-180 I think). I use it mostly as a base rig at home as I don't have room for a shack. It is a bit bulky for EDC, but I carry it sometimes.

Kripto, I was wonderinmg if you still had the FT-100D? I was looking for one a while ago. Does the VHF side still work? What were you considering asking for it?

Brian
    KC2NYP

14. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

15. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Loaded Pockets

I'm hoping to make it, I'm planning on taking my General Class upgrade there.

16. np3ba

np3ba Loaded Pockets

I always carry my VX-3R with me at all times. It fits in my shirt pocket. When I use my Maxpedition backpack I carry the VX-7R in the CP-L radio holder. Both radios are great great to carry in your EDC bag. :)

17. jfj1of1

jfj1of1 Empty Pockets

:roof: It's good to see other "HAMS" here. I carry a FT-60R Kinda big but its what I'm used too.

Jeff
    KD8CIA

18. chris in mo

I'd like to see a pic of your 7r in the radio holder. How do you attach the radio holder to the pack? It does not appear to be Molle compatible

Thanks!

19. np3ba

np3ba Loaded Pockets

[img width=480 height=640]http://www.np3ba.com/3.jpg[/img]
    Here it is. The CP-L comes with velcro straps to attach it directly to the backpack.

20. chris in mo

Thanks for the pic. The Maxpedition looks like about tha nicest radio holster out there currently. How is the fit? I can not tell which one would fit the 7R size the best. When looking at the website I thought the medium radio holster would work but I could not tell for sure.