1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ham Radios - EDC

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Kripto, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DSC

DSC Banned

I'd never heard of any of that. I was always taught it means "best wishes" or "best regards".

2. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

This is a horrible site design wise, but on QSL there is a page describing the history.

But you are correct that the new accepted term is "best regards"

73, de K6EF

3. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

Kripto,

Mahalo big time! Lots of good information and I really appreciate it. My "information" is very outdated and somehow I pictured a HAM starter set would be a small black box with a talk-piece tied to a car 12V battery. Now if it is indeed a handy walkie-talkie-sized unit, I can see it being very useful should my city encounter another emergency or disaster situation in the, hopefully very very very distant, future.

I gather a repeater is similar to a cellular tower that relay the transmission from the HT to another repeater? What happened when there is a blackout? Are all repeaters built with some type of battery back-ups? We had a close to 24 hours island-wide power outage after the 2006 earthquake. Supposedly, the HAM operators pretty much never missed a beat and continued to feed information to our civil defense and other authorities. Does that mean an HT will continue to be operable?

Probably more than a year ago, several of us were chit-chatting in the office and my boss let me know that he has friends who are involved in amateur radio. He is a rider and used to do motorcycle patrols whenever there is a parade or similar. It seems like I will be getting a lot of help from the local folks as well as the EDC community when I am ready to dive in. In fact, it would be great if I can set up a HAM radio in my office so that we can maintain communications with other islands if needs be.

With Aloha,

Clarence

4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Hi Clarence,

In my opinion, anyone that is concerned about "the big one" hitting or just a general "desire to be prepared" should consider getting their FCC (or other regulating body in a different country) Amateur Radio Operators license. Small radios can be huge in getting you out of a jam. Radio waves travel quite far (depending on wavelength/frequency) and can be a lifeline in an emergency. Since Hams can use more power than non licensed users (think FRS/GMRS) our radios let you "get out" much better.

Repeaters are instrumental in allowing our signals to get out.. An HT has a max of 5W, but repeaters often can be 35, 50 or 100W (even more) and since repeaters are usually installed on mountain peaks, the coverage is amazing. For example, I've been able to talk to a repeater from Willits, CA (fairly far north) to Palo Alto, CA ... About 300 miles or more.. because Willits and the hill the repeater's antennas are installed on are both at a relatively high elevation.

Also many repeaters are linked. There are a couple of repeater systems here for example CARLA that is linked to repeaters in multiple states.. And a 1.2 GHz system that covers most of California and some of Nevada.

As for a blackout, most repeaters have a battery backup, a generator, or can use solar power.. Some are even powered 100% by Solar and a car battery, never needing to use AC.. Here in California on October 17, 1989 the Loma Prieta fault went creating a 7.1 magnitude quake. Much of the area was without power/phones etc.. There is a WVARA (West Valley Amateur Radio Assn) repeater at the top of Hwy 17 (the passage through the mountains from Silicon Valley to Santa Cruz) that allowed traffic to be passed between people stuck in Santa Cruz and the rest of the world.

Your HT will continue to be operable, but you need to treat it like any other electronic device.. You would need to keep extra batteries (you only get 3-4 hours if you transmit) and/or a AA battery converter for your radio.. (Can't transmit from it, but you can monitor the repeater)

Also, you should check this out, here is a list of repeaters in hawaii Hawaii Repeaters

There are lots of mentors in the hobby, we call them Elmers.. I'm sure that you will have no problem finding one there.

73, de K6EF

5. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

My motivation exactly. Instead of denying what is inevitable, why not make a hobby out of the preparation process? On the surface, I live in the paradise but few realize we have always been among the top 5 MOST disaster-prone areas in the nation. I still pray that I will never have to deal with the big one, but then I know my family and my company will be among the very first to get back ONLINE. Great recovery is usually preceded by solid preparations and a reasonable amount of luck.

Elmers, of Bugs Bunny fame?

With Aloha,

Clarence

6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Hi Clarence,

Here is a quote from AC6V's Website

I love that you are asking these questions.. It makes me scratch my head and do some digging.. I love internet research :)

73, de K6EF

7. Onedzguy

Onedzguy Empty Pockets

Hi Clarence,
    Hi is a page with all the repeater frequencies, locations and coverage in Hawaii.

8. Slomo26

Slomo26 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Icom IC 92AD with me at work. I have always had Icoms and they seem to keep getting bette and better. With the stock duck I can pick a lot of the low band CHP freqs that I never used to be able to hear before in the So Cal. area. I aslo use it to listen to FM radio when I check out a unit without a radio. Works like a champ but you pay the price for it. Been thinking about trying out the new Yaesu V8XR as well. I guess you can never have enough radios.

9. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

What's your opinion on sticking with the 91AD or selling it and getting the 92AD ?

I like the option to have the GPSmic for DPRS.

10. Hutch

Hutch Empty Pockets

I EDC a Yaesu VX-5, it's been a great little radio. In my truck I have a Yaesu FT-100D (the 2m went on it) and a Yaesu Ft-8800. I also have a Uniden BCD-996T and I do carry the Uniden BCD-396T.

I can see a VX-8 in my future as well as an Icom 7000 to replace the FT-100D in my truck.

11. kalinga point

kalinga point Empty Pockets

12. Stelth

Stelth Banned

As an outsider looking in this hobby seems way too technical and expensive.

13. DSC

DSC Banned

Well, yeah...much like skydiving, it's not for everyone. Unlike the others, I'll never try and talk someone into getting into ham radio. If it doesn't sound like something that would appeal to them, they're probably right.

14. Frequency

Frequency Empty Pockets

My VX-7R sometimes goes with me, but for EDC in my EDC bag, I keep a Yaesu VX-3R for general use around the area here on repeaters. I am also involved with out local RACES/ARES groups. The 3R makes a great EDC radio and works with the same external antenna I got for my 7R.

15. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

I carry a Yaesu FT-60. Which I connect to a quarter length whip when I'm driving.

Been tech for about a year. Looking to study up on code. Probably after I take the GMAT for school.

16. Brad

Brad Empty Pockets

I have a VX-5R that I've carried some. I really need to get into Ham more. Like others, I got my license to be prepared "just in case". Glad I did but I need to read up more on just about everything Ham related.

Brad

17. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I have this little Yaesu that I got a few months ago. Honestly, its just been sitting there waiting for me to play with it. Need to get it out and use it.

[img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/july2408012Medium.jpg[/img]

Its small enough to ride in this Maxpedition M2 belt pouch, along with a Case sodbuster, LM Wave, magnesium firestarter and Sharpie:
    [​IMG]

18. Frequency

Frequency Empty Pockets

Yep, that's the beauty of the tiny VX-3R! Granted the 7R is a better radio, but for emergency use and compactness when close to a repeater, the 3R is a great little EDC rig. I use my 3R more than my 7R. And the 857D lives in the truck for real range.

19. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

20. smokeybehr

smokeybehr Empty Pockets

I'm a long time Ham Radio Op, licensed for 33 years. I'm also a member of the CalEMA MAR 5 RCU, and the Assistant RF Team Leader. I EDC a VHF Motorola Systems Saber 3 that is programmed with all of the local and state channels that I need, plus the major local ham repeaters. I'm socking away funds to get a BK Radio DPH-CMD by next fire season, which will be my next EDC radio.