1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ham Radios - EDC

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Kripto, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

The VX8R is actually WAY easier to field program, in fact that is the only choice at the moment. The cable and software aren't for sale yet.

I've had the opposite problem, it is way too easy to dupe memories and there aren't any ways to delete them unless you have the software. You currently have to mask them or overwrite them with new entries.

2. dudegalea

dudegalea Empty Pockets

I always carry at least a Yaesu VX-3R (actually it's a VX-3E here in the EU). It's nice and light, and has wide receive coverage (including a proper AM antenna).

The other one I carry sometimes is a VX-7. Both of these I've programmed with all the UK repeaters.

http://dudegalea.co.uk/archives/60

http://dudegalea.co.uk/archives/20

Regarding the complex field-programming procedures, that's what the Nifty guides are for! They even make little summary guides that are comprehensive for most things that you'd actually want to do in the field, but are so small they can fit in your wallet.

(I am keeping my eyes on the VX-8. Very tempting!)

3. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Well, I'll be darned! I never expected to see that. I thought they'd at least keep it for the Extras.

Now what if a ham is trapped in a bathysphere or submarine and has to tap out a message? <grin; half serious>

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I thought it was a mistake to get rid of all the street corner firebox
    alarms in NYC also.

Aside from the fact that I don't know the difference between a balun and a baloney (which can have
    disgusting consequences if you hook the baloney in series with a lightning arrestor), it is getting more tempting
    to start studying for my ticket....

;)

4. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Loaded Pockets

Go for it... I'm studying for my General ticket right now.

5. MrEarp

MrEarp Loaded Pockets

I usually EDC an Icom IC92AD.. Although I'm lusting after the VX8R.. (prolly would carry both)

I also carry my County Radio a Kenwood TK2180 it covers the ham band also.

I'm the ARES / RACES Coordinator for my County. If your into it, I highly reccomend getting involved. If your County doesnt have an active program or you don't know who to talk to contact your ARRL section manager. He or She will get you in touch with the right people.

"Ham Radios a lifestyle.. Not Just a hobby" - Me :)

6. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

I've got an old FT-50r that needs a little repair on the battery connector (any recommendations for a fix-it shop?) and a dual-bander mounted in my car, but haven't found enough activity on 2m to bother even turning them on in quite a few years. I'm in the Civil Air Patrol, which was once equivalent to MARS for being cool about interacting with HAMs, but they are currently in transition to narrow-band radios and haven't certified any HAM radios for narrow band ops - as I understand it they haven't really even finished defining the spec, so nobody has even attempted to get a ham radio certified (if anyone knows any different I'll be happy to learn more). I'd love to get a mobile all-mode box in my car, but don't want to make the investment until I can find one that I know I can use with the CAP, so I'm on hold for the moment. I'd also love to get a handheld that does both fm (2m/440cm) and aircraft (am) - transmit and receive - but to my knowledge there's no such beast - probably a bit too much to cram into one little package - or just not enough of a market to make it worthwhile.

I really like the idea of wireless data / internet links and where that tech is headed, too. So far I'm still just a tech - I guess I should be spending my time waiting for some sort of narrow band standards to fall out by upgrading my ticket a few levels - and maybe learning a little code.

oooh - the vx8r does look pretty cool, and I'm pleased that yaesu finally updated their site so I can actually use it with firefox.

7. Buzzard

Buzzard Empty Pockets

I'm a General Class ham (with code), but not very active right now. I do still carry my Yaesu VX7R in the car though. I often visit the airport viewing area and use it for the aircraft frequencies. In any case, I figure it's good to have nearby in an emergency. I also have a Yaesu mobile that I rigged up into a fishing tackle box and it will run off a small 12 volt
    battery. I used it some when I was active in the local RACES group. BTW, this is my first post here. I've been "lurking" for a while - love the forum - it appeals to all of my "fetishes" - lights, bags, FAKs, knives - the old bit!

8. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I've seen some really impressive setups with tackle boxes and SLA batteries. I'm about to sell my FT100D because 2 HF radios is one too many for me. :) I think I will put the other in a box and set it up for both SLA and a standard power supply! Thanks for the idea.

As for being new, welcome!... I'd love to see a post from ya in the introductions area :)

9. OperationOrange

OperationOrange Loaded Pockets

PICS!!!

Let's see your HT's.

I've been wanting one a few years now (just have a mobile). Help me shop. :)

--KF4ZAI

10. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

hmm I don't know anything about this ham radio but does seem interesting! where would I go about learning more?

11. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Well, the internet is a great place to start. There are tons of sites, just search for HAM radio or Amateur Radio.

There is the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) that is all about helping people get into the hobby.

I would also do a search online for a ham radio club in your area. Here in the Bay Area, we have LOTS of hams. I belong to the PAARA group (Palo Alto Amateur Radio Association) which is a GREAT bunch of people. (In fact, I live in San Francisco and try to get down to the PAARA meetings whenever possible. (It is an hour train ride for me)

73, de K6EF

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

this is all completely greek to me. I would be interested in a radio for :censored: situ though, not keen on registering with the Nanny State **zis though. Any recommendations for lightweight , portable, common battery using radio that would get emergency transmissions?? I know a lot of people here carry VHF (marine) radios on land without licenses, just for the ease of broadcasting power in case of emergency 9we have a ton of boaters here, 99% who listen to the emergency channels on VHF radios.)

13. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Well, it is your personal choice to not want to register with the "Nanny State".. But I can't advocate you purchasing a licensed radio that transmits. But, for listening to VHF for emergency transmissions, I would recommend getting a scanner. They just receive, not transmit and thus anyone can purchase one.

You could start with Radio Shack for the basic, el cheapo models and move up to something like the Uniden Bearcat line which can be programmed with the computer.

14. rhicks

rhicks Loaded Pockets

Used to EDC my VX7R but now I have the VX8R with me. The 7R has been acting as a RF to internet i-gate for the past few days and has worked out very well.

Why do I EDC the 8R? It's cause the 857 and 817 are too heavy. :winkwink: Seriously, its all about the APRS position reports. I've been wanting to get into that
    for some time. Now I can. Well... as soon as I get the mic or adapter for the gps unit. The 7R is a tank. I *really* like the 8R. Hopefully it will be as reliable as the 7R.

15. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I have the 8R as well and am really enjoying it. In fact, I hadn't EDCd an HT for a long time and now the 8R doesn't leave my side.

If you aren't on the VX_8R email "reflector" you should be.. Lots of good info there.

I also have the 7R and don't really like it/use it much.. It is a fine radio but I like the audio from the TH-F6A and TH-D7 and IC-91AD much better.
    (FWIW, I'm putting my 7R and TH-F6A up for sale, I have too many HTs.. (Or my wife tells me...) :shrug:
    Not to mention my TH-59 (1.2GHz) ht... I love using it and there is a decent 1.2 network in the Bay Area..

K6EF

16. bigbear

bigbear Banned

a little array of HTs (and sole scanner) sitting in my bedroom at moment.

[​IMG]

17. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

What does HT stand for? :help:

Hope this is not too far off-topic, but does or can anyone start learning HAM radio using a walkie-talkie sized (or HT-sized?) unit like those shown above? I kept thinking a beginner's HAM radio will look like a small box with an antenna and a very long cable. I am probably more interested in understanding the frequencies, technicals, and possibilities of this hobby, in addition to learning a new skill for emergency communications. Great hobby to look into!

With Aloha,

Clarence

Note: I sometimes noticed license tags K6H?? or similar on the road. Now I think they are call signs or however the correct HAM terminology should be.

18. Buzzard

Buzzard Empty Pockets

As far as I know, HT stands for 'handy-talkie' and, yes, they are 'walkie-talkie' size handheld ham radios. I started with an HT when I got my ham license. They are mostly used on VHF (and some UHF) frequencies. They are designed mainly to work through repeaters that boost the signal since the HT by itself doesn't have much of a range. Where I live we have a linked repeater system that allows us to talk to people pretty much all over the state. For longer distance communications (around the country/world) you would normally need a radio operating in the HF frequencies. These are usually "base station" type radios or some mobiles also do HF. Hope that helps!

19. Grizhicks

Grizhicks Loaded Pockets

I current have 2 HTs; an Icom IC-V8 and Yaesu FT-60R. I carry the FT-60R with me about 50% of the time and up to about 90% during storm season. Now that I have a bigger bag (County Comm XL BoB), I should be able to find room to carry it all the time. -- Greg, de K9TLA

20. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Aloha!

HT Stands for Handy Talkie, or Hand-held Transceiver..

The standard way to learn about the hobby is to either take a "ham cram" where there is a class of 30 people or so and 3 VEs (Volunteer Examiners). The instructor(s) go over the frequencies, health concerns of radio waves, and FCC laws, then at the end of the day you take the test and likely get your callsign. Or get the ARRL or Gordon West book for Technician grade license, learn the questions/answers and then go to a test session to get your license. Depending on where you go, the FCC license process takes anywhere from 2 days (to get in the system) to a few weeks.

Here in the Bay Area, I am part of the Sunnyvale VE group. The VEC (Volunteer Examiner Coordinator) has direct access to the FCC database and essentially assigns the callsigns the night after the test (Saturday) and the people that pass are in the Database on the FCC ULS site by Monday night.

Currently, I think we are in KI#.. The callsigns are sequentially assigned. You might see commonly referred to as 1x2 (1 by 2s) like my call (K6EF) which you can only get when you pass the Extra Class license and then you have to get lucky (or in my case, get your call like people get apartments in New York.. i.e. Read the Obituaries)

Hope that sheds some light :)

73, de K6EF (73 is a numeric code from the telegraph days for "my compliments to you" or "take care" .. Though the original was "give my love to you" .. thankfully that changed. ;) de is German I believe for "from")

Mark