1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ham Radios - EDC

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Kripto, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

How many people here carry at least 1 HT on them? (Legally) and which do you carry and what for?

I've been keeping my Yaesu VX8R on me or in my bag for the past few days (it just came out) and before that I had my Kenwood TH-D7 on me. My thinking was that they pick up TV (at least for another couple of weeks), Radio (FM/AM/SW), and WX (Alerts as well) .. Also the TH-D7 and VX8R do APRS, so I can have people track me if I'm going out on a S&R outing or letting family know my whereabouts.

How many people out there don't have ham licenses, but have been thinking of it.. And why?

Do you think about emergency radio? (RACES/ARES)
    Were you in the military and do MARS?

I'm in the process of volunteering for the Red Cross in their communications group.

2. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I have been trying to learn more about HAM radio, especially at my local level (e.g. organizations). My interest is multifarious; electronics is fascinating, the ability to communicate in an emergency is a great resource, receiving information is convenient, and it seems like an interesting hobby.

3. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Loaded Pockets

I carry a Yaesu VX6R, and I have an Alinco DJ-195T in my truck as a back up, I'm a local Skywarn Storm Spotter, and a Member of my County CERT Team.

I was looking at the VX7R, and VX8R as well, but just couldn't wait, and I got quite a deal on the VX6R.

4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I've been a HAM for about 5 years. I started with the Tech license and quickly made it to Extra (with code)... These days, it is much easier to get your license and since you don't need code, it is way easier to get to Extra if that is what you want to do. In any case, it is nice knowing that I have a radio that I can transmit on and get help pretty much where ever and when ever I need.. Or conversely, I can help people when in need as well.

i just signed up at the Red Cross and hopefully soon, I will get training and be out there ready to help when needed.. With my radio :)

5. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

VX6Rs are good radios, very solid! I got the VX8R for the APRS capability. Up until recently, I used the Kenwood TH-D7 but it has really crappy battery life, so it is plugged in next to my computer. I'm trying to reduce my EDC ham gear to just what is needed and will be getting a BOB tomorrow from CountyComm that I will keep the IC 91AD D-Star radio.. I don't use D-Star often enough to keep in my EDC, but it is a solid radio.

Here in the Bay Area, I occasionally work with ACS (Auxiliary Communications Service) with is a subsidary of the DHS OES. (It has been WAY too long and I will be contacting them soon to get back in ) But most of them rely upon Motorola pro 900MHz radios so I might have to pick one of those up.. (hopefully cheap, as they are VERY expensive radios)

6. xizzy

xizzy Empty Pockets

IW1GHC here!

I am about to install a kenwood tm 732E on my suzuki samurai.

I have a big sommerkamp ft 277B with his original amplifier: does someone know how much is valued?
    It was my father's transceiver and i really like it.

7. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

I've got a Yaesu 7800 in the van, and an older FT50r HT, but I don't carry it as I find it a bit large for edc.

8. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

I've been licensed for thirty years. I usually carry a small ht for crossband repeat. I don't work hf anymore, but was very active in the 80's when the conditions were outstanding. I have 120 countries confirmed but never got around to applying for my DXCC. I did get my WAS on 15 meters running 1 watt.

It's a great hobby...I think the internet and cell phones have taken a lot of the appeal from amateur radio.

9. IllicitDreams

Your last statement agreed with an article I just saw this morning.

Here it is:
    http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2008/07/17/top-25-things-vanishing-from-america-16-ham-radio/

10. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

I've been watching it happen over the last twenty years. Fewer new hams, the hamfests are a shadow of what they once were (even Dayton). I'm sorry that it's happened, but some of it is definitely attributed to the reluctance to allow a no code license. It has been a source of heartburn for years. I think a lot of hams felt the "club" would be infiltrated by the great unwashed. They never anticipated a new technology that would surpass the romance of radio. There are a lot of hams that aren't active. I hope that digital hamsats will bring back some interest, but I'm skeptical.

11. DSC

DSC Banned

I got my Novice in 1991 and worked my way up the hard way...with code. I actually skipped General and went straight to Advanced, passing the 20wpm code at that time. I hadn't studied the theory for the Extra, so picked up that element later.

I have a VX7R, but don't carry it around with me. I bought it a few years ago mostly for 2m. 440MHz around here pretty much only consists of people talking about their latest prostate exam, so I don't tend to listen to any of those repeaters. No 6m activity here or 220MHz. It was also nice to be able to hear most of the analog tv audio signals...too bad that's going away.

Funny story about programming the radio...I'm going to be going on a trip soon so wanted to program in some different frequencies. (Using the "Commander" software) but had intermittant read/write errors. I checked the physical connections to the computer and they were all solid. I even opened the D-sub connector and checked the connections in there.

Turned out to be a loose ground in the phono part of the adapter. I had to cut back the black strain relief to find it...it had become unsoldered from the barrel. I fixed it and it's working perfectly every time now.

Anyway, I thought I'd put that here because when researching what the problem could be, I didn't see the shoddy craftsmanship of the cable referenced as the problem. Maybe this will help someone out later.

If anyone wants to get into amateur radio, you pretty much don't have any excuse anymore since they're basically giving the licenses away now. Have at it. I'm mostly on PSK31 on HF as there seem to be fewer lids there than there are on voice, in my experience. Same problem with VHF/UHF...mainly just use it for APRS.

12. rescueguru

rescueguru Banned

On any given day I will have at least two HTs with me, not always on body but in briefcase or vehicle. I am a licensed amateur, SkyWarn spotter, ARES member and a full time employee of Emergency Services. I carry an Icom T90A and a Kenwood TK-290, both of which are capable of amateur and Public Safety communications.

13. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

I don't know how things are now in this age of cell phones, sat phones, internet and other communications, but back when I was in the Army, I can tell you that MARS was like a morale lifeline for us G.I.s out in the remote areas of the world, especially around the holidays. I can attest that there were lots of tears (of joy) and much comfort on our end of the line from lonely, homesick, miserable soldiers in the rain and mud of the jungle in just hearing a familiar voice from home. I am eternally grateful to you HAMs for your kindness in being there.

14. IllicitDreams

I was licensed earlier this year, and a buddy of mine recently got his license. A couple more friends are currently studying to get theirs.

I like others don't think amateur radio is going anywhere, sure the numbers may be declining... but there are lots of folks out there that see the potential of it's use in communications during disasters, and whatnot.

15. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

I remember when Barry Goldwater (K7UGA) was running phone patches to service men and women stationed in Viet Nam. I think his total was over 7,000.

16. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

The Red Cross are good people. A local ham I listen to all the time is part of a RC group
    and he has good things to say about them. There is some politics, but you get that
    in any group.

I've been listening to the ham bands and shortwave for about 30+ years. At one point
    I even started studying CW (you needed it for even a novice license back then), but
    never got beyond the letter "e." Lately I've been thinking about it again because you
    can now get a No-Code Tech license, and the trend is to eliminate the CW requirement
    completely in a few years, I think.

I have mixed feelings about that. I think knowledge of CW is useful whether you are
    a ham or not.

I was never in the military. The RACES/ARES folks do a good job, from what I can gather.

They say ham radio is a dying hobby--kids today think that the Internet and cell phones
    are all they need. But the Internet can be censored; it can also fail, and so can cell phones.

In an emergency there's nothing like a portable radio.

On 9/11 the cell phones didn't work. But HTs still worked fine.

Unfortunately FRS/GMRS here is not used in a professional way. It is only a little step
    above what CB has become. And it has limited range.

As for HTs, lots of people here like the little Kenwood TH-F6A:

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0066.html

:D

17. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

If I remember the scuttlebut on those they are not field-programmable unless you are very
    good at remembering complex procedures. Great radios, though.

18. Bogie

Bogie Loaded Pockets

I have had a ADI AT-600 dual band (2M&70Cm) for years but have started carrying a Puxing PX-777 (VHF) lately to field test it. Also have a 110 Watt VHF Motorola Spectra in the truck but that's mostly programed for my firehouse stuff but does have the local repeaters in it.

19. IcePick74

IcePick74 Loaded Pockets

That is pretty much my story too. I have a VX7R that I don't carry very often unless bad weather is coming.
    No kidding about 440HZ; 2m is that way around here too. I have a TMD710 in the car and pretty much use A band for police scanning and B for APRS.
    I am a member of the local ARES group and hope to do some storm spotting next year.

-KC9IWZ

20. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

As it stands, the FCC has completely removed the CW requirements. (Not just tech, but all the way to Extra)

I had to learn CW and I think it is important for anyone who has a desire to communicate should at least make an attempt to learn. That being said, the hobby certainly isn't what it used to be but it isn't dead. In this area, we have 20+ new hams at each test session and ours is one of 3 that happen regularly every 2 weeks in the Bay Area.