1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HAM Radio Thread

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by edjo69, Apr 10, 2013.

1. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

Passed my test and got my ticket. KM4RZT.

Got my Icom ID-51A running great on DSTAR through a hotspot I built. Raspberry Pi + DVMEGA dual-band. I'm using the Maryland DSTAR image. Have only had one QSO so far. Spend most of time listening.

KM4RZT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guarddog, INKGUY79 and Ataki like this.
  2. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

Congratulations!

W2EDV

atilano likes this.
  3. Bowman1

Bowman1 Empty Pockets

Here's my HT, and a big part of my EDC: a Yaesu FT2DR

[​IMG]

syntaxerrorsix and EZDog like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice,we just got a few Fusion Repeaters running here but I still have yet to get playing with them?
    I have a 1D and like it a lot so far but have just been too busy to get Digital going?

5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

I'm not a fan of the new digital radios. They are all proprietary so everyone has to have that brand of radio to play ball. I'll stick with regular old analog FM and wait for the trend to pass.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Actually not quite true.
    The Yaesu Fusion system is a blend of Analog and Digital and is a much more open system than the others.

You can seamlessly use a Fusion System Repeater regardless of the radio tech. you have.

It is a different beast and when our club started putting them in I got one of the Yaesu Hybrid versions,pretty nice radio to!

7. syntaxerrorsix

Can a digital Icom radio communicate with a Fusion radio or repeater?

8. syntaxerrorsix

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

In regular Analog FM sure it can.
    Thats the big difference between the two systems really.

Our main club repeaters were replaced with the Fusion Repeaters when they croaked because the Fusion will work between Analog and Digital in the repeater itself.

So you can talk in Analog and someone can respond through the Repeater in Digital,etc.
    But the Dstar Digital and Fusion Digital are not comparable so you can't use Dstar on a Fusion system.
    Most Dstar radios though are Analog and Digital I think? So you can talk into Fusion in standard Analog FM and this with Fusion Digital can QSO with you.

The Icom Repeaters are just Digital System units unless something has changed?

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  10. INKGUY79

INKGUY79 Loaded Pockets

Wow handheld ham radios have gotten so much smaller since I was a kid. I remember my dad would make phone calls from his radio to our house I always thought that was so cool.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  11. syntaxerrorsix

Yaesu has always had really small radios. The VX1R was smaller than my 3R.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  12. Howler4

Howler4 Loaded Pockets

DuncMan do you happen to have any more photos of your Jeep that you could share? It looks freaking awesome and really well done!

13. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

Can anyone recommend a 2m or dual band HT that has the option to be powered by AAs? I remember my dad having a small dual band 10+ years ago and I would like to add something similar to my emergency kit.

rkazooti likes this.
  14. syntaxerrorsix

Most of the popular models offer an alkaline battery tray in place of the standard battery pack. It's a pretty common accessory.

timcyms likes this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have AA battery boxes for HTs from all three major manufacturers and they work OK depending on your needs?
    Some only supply enough voltage for receiving and low power transmit where others allow for full output power,it just depends on what you want.
    As an example I run my VX7 on3aa with lower output.
    I run my VX3 on 2aa with lower than already low output.
    I run my VX150 on 6aa and at full output and I usually use Eneloops in there too.
    Each is using the Yaesu factory AA box for the radio.

timcyms likes this.
  16. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

I'll check out the battery boxes. I'm trying to remember the make of his radio, but I think it's intended power source was AAs

17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well the deal is this,first are you a HAM?
    Any radio will work on any battery that delivers the voltage that it requires whether rechargeable packs built-in or AA battery packs.

An AA pack though will often not deliver a lot of current for high output or long run time from the radio so every radio really benefits from an internal rechargeable battery of the correct voltage but with better longer term output all the way around.

These radios are also pretty handy in a pinch on standard AA power for obvious reasons as long as the AA will still get the job done which it sometimes will and sometimes will not.

So while the manufacturers might offer these AA packs for convenience they are not really a full power solution for everyday HT use and in an emergency situation where you really might need the extra output only the rechargeable pack can offer the AA might be a real liability too.

You can use Alkalines but if they leak and kill your radio,and they will if in storage you will not be happy at all!
    You can also use Lithium Primary batteries,Enegizer L91s but they too don't provide the power needed at times from my experience and they are pricey though they do have good shelf life if not stored in a radio or packed in the carrier.

Thus Enter the Eneloop!
    You can also build a pack into the AA holder with Eneloop batteries which will offer greater output AND are rechargeable. Further the Eneloop are designed for low discharge in storage making them great for your emergency kit use as well as they do not drain much when just stored.
    I carry a bunch in my kits and I also have Solar Charging kits with them so that I can get more juice as needed from the sun although it is pretty slow too.

All of this is just to suggest that you find a radio that you like first,then see if there is an AA pack sold for it(there will be) and get one or more and some Eneloops and practice with it before stashing it away.

I also suggest a Nifty Mini Manual for every radio that you will only see in emergency as you will NEVER remember how to use the radio if you are not using it a lot and these manuals give all the info you need in a small easily digested and carried form!

Make Sense?

chaosmagnet likes this.
  18. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Think of AA battery boxes as being good for receive only. There are some models that permit transmit at low power.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well,except that my Eneloop box on a VX150 works about like a standard pack so it can be done too.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  20. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

I am a ham, have been for 14 years. I don't carry my radio or use it as part of my EDC. I'm in suburban SoCal, so I'm not too worried about range. My reasoning behind a AA option also extends to an emergency situation...AA are cheaper to rotate through and more easily stockpiled than rechargeable battery packs.

Thanks for the idea about the Eneloops, I will have to order some.