1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HAM Radio Thread

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by edjo69, Apr 10, 2013.

1. HeadedToTexas

HeadedToTexas Loaded Pockets

Might be a version compatibility thing. Mine is out of date already and I only installed it a few weeks ago. I get this link in a pop up on launch: chirp.danplanet.com/

2. marcclarke

marcclarke Loaded Pockets

Smiley Tri-Band telescoping antenna.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk Pro

3. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

I'm currently studying for my tech license. Thanks to this thread I will also study for and take the general exam as well. I take the test(s) on March 13, so plenty of time.

I'm also looking to buy my first radio and have it narrowed down to two: the Icom 51A 50th Anniversary edition or the Yaesu FT-1XDR. Anybody have any experience with either of these radios? The 51A really intrigues me because of DSTAR and the ability to build a Rasberry Pi DSTAR hotspot. Yaesu has System Fusion, but is not open and does not seem to be deployed as much. Yaesu does APRS while the 51A does DPRS. I've watched just about every YouTube video on both radios but looking for additional experiences any of you may have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thatotherguy likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just snagged the Yaesu but I am also more of a "Yaesu Guy" if experience means anything.
    My understanding of the digital systems,and I might be wrong is that the DStar can only real talk to another DStar but the Fusion Digital can talk to regular Analog radios as well as Digital if running through a Fusion repeater. Or to put it more clearly I was told that I can talk in with Digital and it will repeat in both Digital and Analog through the Fusion system.
    This makes it a lot more flexible and powerful for my needs hands down.

You don't mention where you are?
    Location and the availability of different tech. in the repeaters or other Hams in your area would also help me decide before jumping in,no reason to get a radio that you have no one to talk to with.

Also I have to say that for a first radio please consider a full power Mobile with real antenna you will be helping yourself and all of the rest of us as you start off! Not as sexy maybe but a lot more useful and less frustrating again depending somewhat on your location.

Guarddog, Ataki and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  5. TeeGeeZee

TeeGeeZee Loaded Pockets

Good luck with the exams!

I own both a Yaesu FT1D and an Icom ID-51. As EZDog says, I would base your decision primarily on which digital system is supported by your local repeaters. I would also heed his advice that unless you are pretty close to a repeater you may get more mileage out of a mobile radio and decent antenna as your first purchase.

That said - here's a few points to help you compare the two radios:

Build - the FT1D is essentially a new circuit board shoehorned in to one of Yaesu's older radio bodies (the VX-8G). As such the screen is very small, and the radio does suffer from some thermal issues with the screen temporarily fogging and the area around the antenna connector getting hot during long QSOs. The ID-51 on the other hand has a massive screen, easily capable of displaying all the required info for digital operation. Points definately go to the Icom on this one.

Digital operation - Yaesu's System Fusion has significantly better audio quality than DSTAR, being based around a newer version speech codec. On the other hand, while DSTAR has a very mature internet linking system, Yaesu has been woefully slow in rolling out support for the equivalent Wires-X on System Fusion repeaters the majority of which are still operating in stand-alone mode without any internet linking.

Hotspots - with the release of the DV4Mini I believe you can set up a System Fusion hotspot on a Raspberry Pi in the same way you can with DSTAR.

APRS/DPRS - don't be fooled by Icom into thinking these are in any way equivalent. DPRS is a simple position reporting system, whereas APRS supports messaging between users and a multitude of other features.

Hope this helps - if you have any specific questions about either radio just ask.

echo victor and Guarddog like this.
  6. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

So I've been studying a little, nothing crazy just taking the tests on my phone. My Baofeng came in, and boy am I lost with it! My works vhf has done me no service!! Even looking up how to program it doesn't help.. I think I need to buy a book on the test.. Duh!

7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

Go here.

hamexam.org

Guarddog likes this.
  8. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have a copy of a factory uv-5r, in a .csv or chirp file, as they received it in the mail? I may have erased mine as I was trying to understand it..:(

9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Google for "uv-5r factory reset" and you'll be able to find the right images.

marcclarke and Ross2187 like this.
  10. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have a cheap tablet they can run chirp with?

11. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Loaded Pockets

CHIRP runs on Mac/Win/Unix. I'm not familiar with an Android or iOS version so you will need a hacked tablet to do so. In any case iPad is out as you need USB connectivity.

12. TeeGeeZee

TeeGeeZee Loaded Pockets

It should run on a Windows tablet (proper Windows 8/10, not Windows RT).

13. volcomonix

volcomonix Loaded Pockets

I have an Icom 51A. I can only really comment on on the basic use of it as I am a tech but admittedly I am not very educated on the hobby. It's my first HT and I found it easy to program, the screen is nice, buttons are nice, and I got decent results from inside my home on 70cm to the local repeater using the supplied antenna. I did hook it up to my jpole with a jumper but I couldn't get out on 2m, I'm not sure why.

14. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

Thanks volcomonix ! Appreciate the response. I decided on the 51A in red. Arrives tomorrow. Now I just need to pass the exam on 20 Feb. probably won't be ready for general but that's all right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

atilano

You taking the Technician Exam on 20 Feb.?
    Good luck with it! I know you will do well!

16. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

Thanks Guarddog! Still have a about 5 more chapters to read in the book, but I'm averaging 80% on my practice tests. I'll be ready in two weeks for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guarddog likes this.
  17. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

atilano

Keep practicing and you'll pass the tech exam, no problem. Good luck and let us know how it goes

W2EDV

Guarddog likes this.
  18. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm planning on sitting for my general and extra tests in the next few months. I'm looking forward to playing around on HF for sure.

I just got a broken (no TX output) Yaesu FT747GX yesterday. After a lot of poking around, studying schematics and trying things, I think we (my elmer and myself) have the problem narrowed down to a blown transistor, which I now have on order. Other than that problem, I like the radio a lot.
    I also picked up an MFJ straight key to force myself to learn code- I have an obligation to now that I've spent money on a key. I was looking for a J38 but the only one I was able to find at the fest was ratty and rusty and was missing the shorting switch, so I passed on it. I'll probably end up with one in the future.

19. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I was licensed in October, 2015, and upgraded to General in January, 2016. I have a ID-51A Plus, and I think it's a great radio. I bought the ID51A Plus in part because my local club has a D-Star repeater with an active net. Aside from the D-Star application, the radio works very well, is easy to use, and will hold up with excellent quality. I will eventually buy the larger battery and a longer rubber ducky antenna, but the stock battery and antenna work well for now.

I recently completed the set-up of my HF equipment in my apartment, which includes:

Transceiver: Kenwood TS-590SG
    Power Supply: Astron RS-35M
    Antenna: MFJ-1622 balcony antenna on tripod, with three radials (antenna is placed on balcony for each session, then taken inside afterward)

It wasn't easy to get the antenna resonant for digital work on 20 meters from my balcony - I use an antenna analyzer every time I put the antenna out, as setting up the antenna per the instructions does not work on my balcony.

20. Kravhiker

Kravhiker Loaded Pockets

I have a Kenwood TM-V71A in the car and love it! Also have a Baofeng UV5R handheld for emergencies.