1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HAM Radio Thread

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by edjo69, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

You can listen to the analog trunked audio channels (diigtal audio is not available to the public as easily) but you will not be able to identify the talkgroup (channel) they are using.

2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Digital trunking is specific to the radio vendor, if you look at good trunk tracking scanners it will tell you what systems it is capable of monitoring. Finding out which system your local authorities use should not be hard. Analog trunked radios could be monitored by scanners with fast scanning ability and some creative programming back in the day.

ac7ss likes this.
  3. nicktodorov

nicktodorov Loaded Pockets

Few months ago I became licensed HAM - LZ1OXY
    For now I am using Baofeng UV-5R. Now looking for cheap but still functional dual band mobile radio.

charlie fox likes this.
  4. nightowl

nightowl Loaded Pockets

To find scanner frequencies, and a myriad of other info, Radio Reference is invaluable. They have Forums, too. Posting what you learn back here would be great for others.

http://www.radioreference.com/

Scanner Master, is great for reading reviews of radios you are considering. Sometimes they have links to purchase at a good price, sometimes Amazon or Ham Radio Outlet is cheaper.

http://www.scannermaster.com/

By the way, ANYONE can own a Ham Radio...and, during a TRUE emergency, anyone can broadcast seeking help, whether licensed or not. But, to know how to operate your radio, and know that you are reaching anyone, you need practice. You obviously would need a license to practice, which is what I would recommend :cool:

And, you don't need to learn Morse Code anymore :)

5. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I am not 100% sure, but I believe you would need a scanner capable of receiving trunked signals. I don't think it is a feature you usually find on ham tranceivers.

6. Jharpphoto

Jharpphoto Loaded Pockets

Yaesu Vx7 and ft8900 in the truck. I've got my general ticket but don't have a true HF rig yet. Saving my $ for the rig of my dreams.

7. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

When the Baofengs hit the market I had a very strong resistance to them for absolutely no reason. About 2 months ago I finall broke down and got a UV-5RC because a bunch of use use 220 around here and I wanted a 4 watt HT. I like it, its a good radio, a bit quirky to program and navigate the menus, I bought RT software for it as I do for most of my radios and that took care of the programming issues I was having. I now own four UV-5## and use them almost daily. Good radio, great radio for the price. Just thought I would share. One of them will have a permanent home in my Kifaru Zippy when it finally gets here ;) ;)

nicktodorov likes this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My experience is exactly the opposite really.
    Well not exactly,I hated them before getting one and have perfected my hatred now that I have one.

The only thing I use mine for now is as an FM radio and it is not even reliable for that.

What a chunk of crap.

Can not be DC powered easily,reverse antenna connector from everything else I have or have seen(except maybe other cheap clones like them) horrible selectivity,squelch control and microphone,bizarre and almost impossible to program(makes a VX7 seem intuitive).

There is really nothing to sell these besides price as far as I am concerned but there are still a lot of us who seem to like them and buy them.
    Why?

They are cheap!

9. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Loaded Pockets

I'm a fairly new ham, but I first got my novice and then my tech plus in the late 80's. Stupid me, I let it expire...

Anyway, I'm strictly a VHF/UHF guy, with a Yaesu FT-60 and a Kenwood TH-F6A on the way. Just joined my local ARES chapter, looking forward to putting my license to practical use. I also want to try to get into satellites.

73's

10. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

w2edv here...

In my Mercury Mariner, I run a TM-D710A, with input from a Garmin 376, for VHF/UHF comms and APRS. I have 2 hhs, an ICom IC-91AD and a Kenwood TH-D7AG. In my home I run another 710a and an Icom 75 SW RX; never got around to getting an HF. Not as active as I once was, but still fairly active on Skywarn. Too many hobbies! :frantic:

73s to all

11. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Picked up the new Yaesu FT-252. I love it! I'll upload more info and pics later, only had it a day. But it's tough feeling and easy to use! 2 meter only. Not a replacement for my VX-8DR but it'll see a lot of use.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

nightowl and nicktodorov like this.
  12. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

My 16 year old daughter just passed the Tech exam last week. My 15 year old son has been a Tech for two years. Not my 11 year old daughter is studying to Tech. I guess I'd better get cracking and start studying for Extra. :)

marcclarke and nightowl like this.
  13. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Nice! I've tried for a little bit to get my wife to study for and take her technician license test. Still going to take some time.
    But I spent some time with her cousin and he's very technical minded. We took a trip to AES in Orlando and I'm going to loan him my tech ARRL book to study and a dual ht I have to get him starting listening and then tx-ing after he gets licensed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

speedmaster likes this.
  14. ascii

ascii Loaded Pockets

My EDC/emergency radio is a UV-5R. Small enough to fit in a bag easily, battery lasts quite a while as long as it doesn't randomly turn itself on. I say "emergency" because I rarely use it. As with some other people in the thread, I'm a listener, not a talker.

The other EDC HAM I carry around daily is an iPhone/iPad with Echolink. I almost find that more useful, as then I can talk to a parental unit in a different part of the country.

charlie fox likes this.
  15. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I recently picked up a portable HAM and I'm interested in pursuing it further. My biggest problem is finding a class in NJ. Actually I've found a few classes but when I call to register/get more info etc no one ever returns my calls!

16. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Try just studying he book, and maybe using one of the CD audio courses. The Tech license exam is very easy and you really don't need a class. Also, when you pass the Tech test and they ask if you want to take the General, do it. It costs nothing extra and there is no penalty for not passing.

To find a test, if there is no one close administering them regularly, look online for hamfests and find one you can go to. There are a lot, they are fun, and always have testing.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

17. CHARLIE O

CHARLIE O Loaded Pockets

Hey. I hope somebody is still reading this thread. I am interested in getting HAM certified. I have lots of questions, but first.
    What are some good study resources?

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Where are you located?
    What Country?

If in the USA look at arrl.org for starters.

Ed

19. CHARLIE O

CHARLIE O Loaded Pockets

U.s. Miami, fl. Thanks

20. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

ARRL License Manual, available at any online bookshop or ARRL website, ISBN 0872599639
    Technician Class 2014-2018 study manual with HamStudy software, ISBN 0945053800
    Practice exams: google "AA9PW"

Uzna likes this.