1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HAM Radio Thread

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by edjo69, Apr 10, 2013.

1. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I am starting this thread for all of the Hams on this forum. Lets start off with Shack pictures and general equipment postings. Maybe if there are enough of us here we can get a HAM sub-forum, I like HAM sub forums best as they are generally a bit more oriented towards everyday HAM users and don't get way into strange topics. So lets get this going, I will add pictures of my shack and mobile rigs this afternoon.

2. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

I'm not a Hamm radio person (will be when I get my pilots license) but this seems cool so subscribe button here I come

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. Firepoint

Firepoint Loaded Pockets

I've got an Icom 208h in my truck (dual band VHF/UHF), an Icom t90a ht triband in my office, and an Icom ic7000 for Hf at home. Along with a 30ft tower, a dual band vertical, a 2m yagi, and a fan dipole good for as low as 80m. I'd look at putting up a 40m beam on my tower, but the wind really blows where I live and I don't want to deal with the damage.

Haven't been really active in the last 2 years. New distracted driving laws have really cut back on my mobile use.

bigfoot likes this.
  4. Jag-Stang

Jag-Stang Loaded Pockets

In the Toyota FJ I run a Kenwood D710A hooked up to a Nuvi 350, KE7ZMC-9 FOR YOU ARPS FANS.

At home I run an Icom 7000 with a RigBlaster on a 160m loop, Yaesu 920 on a G5RV, Icom 208H on a Diamond X30A, Icom v8000 on a 5/8 wave with KP3 TNC, and an 1.25m ADI on 223.500, all powered by an Astron 50amp PS

I also have a Wouxun HT and a Yaesu VX170 HT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

metrorider, ran23, pgauti and 6 others like this.
  5. Mr_Sheesh

Mr_Sheesh Loaded Pockets

Just a Baofeng UV-5RE here ATM (Little 2m/70cm HT), used to have an Icom IC-215 but haven't located it since the last move from hell; Soon maybe. Getting into ARES locally, so I'll maybe add something for 2m Packet Radio, IDK if I'll build my own TNC or buy one, we'll see. Got my General License, so I'm even covered on the paperwork side :)

charlie fox likes this.
  6. humle

humle Loaded Pockets

Icom IC2200 in the car, Icom IC-Q7E handy and Alinco DX-8 for HF.
    Not very active though.

7. Rescueme

Rescueme Loaded Pockets

I'm a ham, not very active but am keen to get back into it. I was wondering if anyone uses echolink VoIP system?

8. Travis Branch

Travis Branch Loaded Pockets

I have been wanting to get into this for while. Any suggestions for a first radio? I have seen wouxon and baofeng are pretty good cheapies for the 2 m but I will eventually move on to the others.

9. Mr_Sheesh

Mr_Sheesh Loaded Pockets

I've heard of some problems with the baofengs eventually, if you can afford them another brand may be good for the longer term, we'll see what problems I have with mine eventually, if any. 70 cm is pretty popular locally, the first thing to check may be what frequencies you need in a radio, then see what choices you can get that cover those bands :)

10. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

"In the Toyota FJ I run a Kenwood D710A hooked up to a Nuvi 350, KE7ZMC-9 FOR YOU ARPS FANS."

How did you hook your D710 up to the Nuvi??

11. Jag-Stang

Jag-Stang Loaded Pockets

12. Gorram

Gorram Loaded Pockets

Ham radios are a bit like rabbits.... "How the heck did I get four of them?"

Home / portable rig: Yaesu 857D + LDG Z-11 Pro II & LDG meter "hard mounted" in a frame that just fits into a Pelican 1450.
    Truck: Yaesu 2900 bolted to the dash.
    HT: Quansheng TG-UV2
    QRP: Yaesu 817ND + plus Buddipole for in hotel and remote ops when on the road.

I've lost track of the antennas.....

Last edited by Gorram, Apr 23, 2013
  13. humle

humle Loaded Pockets

:rofl: Know the feeling...

bnoland likes this.
  14. bnoland

bnoland Loaded Pockets

I am a HAM, KK4NES. Tech right now but I test for General next Monday. I currently have older an Icom 251A 2m all mode using a home made dipole, Kenwood TM-281A 2m with a 5/8th wave mag mount, and a Kenwood TH-D72A. I plan to eventually get a Kenwood TS-590 for my HF rig. I plan to eventually upgrade my mobile rig to the Kenwood TM-D710A.

sm2wls likes this.
  15. bnoland

bnoland Loaded Pockets

I have an echolink capable HT and a program to use it on my phone. I have not used it much though.

16. Uprightman

Uprightman Loaded Pockets

My father an grand father both did cb radios, is that the same thing?

17. bnoland

bnoland Loaded Pockets

It is similar. HAM operaters have a lot more privalages and capabilities with their equipment. HAMs are allow much more power out of their radios and have a lot more frequencies available to them. With HF communication around the world is possible. Typical CB range is around 5 miles.

You have to test and be licensed thru the FCC to legally operate on HAM bands

18. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I just snagged Sao Paulo Brazil (5534 miles) two days ago on 10m, with 100W and a tuned 10M center fed dipole (long wire)!!!!!!!

marcclarke, bigfoot and bnoland like this.
  19. bnoland

bnoland Loaded Pockets

Nice, I have worked a QSO contest a couple months ago with another control operator on HF and got some good contacts. My furthest was Memphis, TN to WY if I remember correctly. It was a club doing it and we were using the clubs trailer tower. About 40 ft up with a beam. Great fun. We built a 20m Dipole with wire, connector and an block of wood for a buddy of mine a few weeks ago and he said it is doing great.

20. pathalogical

pathalogical Loaded Pockets

Not a ham, but I have several scanners. I'm more of a listener than a talker !