1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Had a Bullet Casing Confiscated

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by achilles, Apr 21, 2010.

1. achilles

achilles Empty Pockets

I saw in another thread a picture of someone's key ring that looked like it had a spent .223 casing on it. A while back, I had a .50cal casing (with the opening hammered flat and a hole drilled through it, confiscated at LAX. The TSA officer said a spent casing was considered a weapon.

I let them take it as I have a bucket full of them, but wondered if anyone has has had that happen with spent casings that are clearly for decoration (as opposed to being in the bottom of a bag or something)?

2. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I try not to push my luck with such things. That and I know nothing about guns except that I support them. I try not to be fake :D

3. matthammer

matthammer Loaded Pockets

A bullet casing is a weapon? Oh, is there no end to the TSA's stupidity...

I make lots of little things from bullets and spent casings. None of them have been confiscated yet, but that would probably change if I attempted to pass them through airport security.

4. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

5. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Remember that they have to justify their job somehow!! If they don't confiscate anything they don't look like they are doing their job. Then they might have to work as a Walmart greeter!!!

6. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

at a guess, someone is mis-interpreting a rule banning the inert rounds where a spent casing has a fresh bullet placed in it, but no propellant. I dare say an enterprising person could make something which appears to be one of those, but in actuallity is a live round.

or the rule intended to stop this is badly written.

7. matthammer

Even if it were a live round it'd be basically harmless without a gun. Anyone who hand-strikes the primer on a live .50 deserves what they get.

8. smith

smith Loaded Pockets

thanks for reminding me why i try my hardest to stay away from airports

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Well, a .50cal casing is rather large, if you mean the big machine gun round. It's also metal and heavyish. It doesn't take much imagination to find weapon-like applications for it.

10. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

was that my pic in the EDC thread?

11. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

I'll have to remember to take the .223 knob insert I made for my Tri-V off before flying....What a bunch of IDIOTS!! They might think it is ready to shoot!....***??

[​IMG]

12. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Wow only 50 Cal that's weak sauce (just joking)... I've got 20MM, but I think TSA would call it a blunt force weapon, so I'd never take it with me.

13. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

I like to think the tsa is for calming the public more then anything. Face it after 9/11 it became impossible to fly planes into buildings. Till then it was policy to sit tight, wait till the plane lands and negotiate. Now the passengers will no longer just wait till the end... box cutter or not. And if someone wanted to blow up a plane, do you think the tsa has considered all the options? What about surface to air missles on ships on the ocean? I'm just saying, the tsa is a joke.

14. RoisonDubh

RoisonDubh Loaded Pockets

The only reason I could think of for confiscating it would be the possibility of powder residue setting off the chemical sniffers.....

15. matthammer

But on that note, it doesn't take me much time to think of a weapon-like application for a pen or keychain or any one of a bunch of TSA accepted items. Actually, if I had to choose between a pen or a .50 casing as an offensive weapon... I'd go with the pen.

16. Golden

Golden Loaded Pockets

How is this idiotic? You're daft if you expect to be able to bring ANY part of a firearm or piece of ammunition past airport security. It's all about theoretical threat, what if multiple persons managed to sneak a gun through security by having the different parts hidden or disguised as harmless objects? The TSA has failed these kinds of tests relating to explosive devices (and honestly will never be able to prevent them, if the aggressors are methodical enough), so I'm not shocked at this.

17. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

exactly!

i mean, given the advancements in Polymers, it is entirely possible to make an almost entirely synthetic gun that could be slipped past TSA scanners.....so much so.....that the only real part of the gun that would NEED to be metallic would the bullet casing and the projectile

To them...its a case of better safe than sorry.

18. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

If you(I) weren't a flashaholic (especially a TSA non-flashaholic)I'd think the Tri-V was a weapon. Lol.

19. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

Have you ever seen a pen gun? It's an entire .22lr gun contained in a pen. It looks like a pen under xray. But the TSA has yet to show any interest in the pens I carry on.

20. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

They also have pen gas guns,