1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gun Magnets???

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Denim_Chicken, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Denim_Chicken

Denim_Chicken Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Was considering buying this for my car. Also opens up some possibilities for the home as well. Any thoughts? Any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

a gun held by magnets becomes a projectile in the event of a crash, or even hard braking. I also don't (and won't) carry a semi auto without the trigger being covered. it's easy enough to put a little kydex holster there the gun snaps into, which solves both of those issues.

magnets are annoying to draw from. with the really strong ones, you can't just pull the gun away, you have to slide it off the end. and even then it fights you the whole time, where once you pop kydex or leather, you are good to go.

3. Cmath

Cmath Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't use it. If I wanted a vehicle mounted holster, I'd simply mount an inexpensive holster instead of that magnet. Or you can find very nice setups for mounting in vehicle. One of those is made my crossbreed-no experience with it though as I have no need to have a vehicle mounted holster.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  4. Cmath

Cmath Loaded Pockets

Plus, I'm sure that magnet would scratch the hell out of the slide. I'm all for holster wear and character and whatnot, but I'll pass on magnet wear. Just my opinion though.

RAMBOCAT and OreoGaborio like this.
  5. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I agree with all of the above. There are better ways of doing it if that's what you need done. Maybe I'm paranoid but I'd also worry about the possibility of magnetizing certain internal parts of the pistol so they don't move as they should.

Cmath likes this.
  6. Cmath

Cmath Loaded Pockets

I didn't even think of the possible magnetization. I wonder if there are any reviews or reports of that happening. Not worth the risk though, that could be a recipe for disaster.

7. troutster52

troutster52 Loaded Pockets

Sooch00 on youtube did a nice video on these magnet gun mounts and they sounded handy, but not for the car, but for concealment or quick access in the home. He showed hanging a 12 or 20 gauge pump from one inside a closet or something, and it had a good grip on it. Something like that would be easy to pull off the magnet without brushing the trigger, and you wouldn't have to worry about a magnet on something as basic as a pump shotgun, I wouldn't think. Also, he had a one mounted under a table or workbench, and that was a good way to hide a handgun with easy access. Neither option would work with kids or untrained adults around, but I could see how they'd be handy in the right home setting.

LoneArcher likes this.
  8. Denim_Chicken

Thanks for the input guys! I've decided to get a holster for the car but I did order a magnet for the bedroom. It will be mounted above the bed as our new pup likes to chew on things he shouldn't

9. Denim_Chicken

Thanks for the input guys! I've decided to get a holster for the car but I did order a magnet for the bedroom. It will be mounted above the bed as our new pup likes to chew on things he shouldn't

10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Definitely a bad idea in a car, but home/office it's a fine idea. My local knife shop owner once showed me that he has guns stashed all over the place behind the counter and under shelves on magnets.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  11. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Which magnet did you order?

12. Denim_Chicken

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one off amazon. Had it mounted on my dresser next to the bed but started keeping it on the night stand so I wasn't using the magnet. Got bored one day and mounted it inside the center console. Keep it in there during school and work then have holstered on me while driving. I was using a car safe but it takes too long to put away and take out. This way it's more accessible. Hopefully nobody breaks into my car.

13. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Thank you. I have a gun magnet saved in my Amazon Wishlist, but may switch to this one. Looking for one with a good recommendation.

14. Denim_Chicken

More people have bought this one and it's a bit cheaper. Can't really tell you why I bought the other one lol but no complaints.

15. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

I agree that it's probably not the best idea in that car. However, I have and currently use a couple of these magnet "holsters" in my residence. The brand I use is called Fast Holster (www.fastholster.com). They make two different "strengths" - hand gun and long gun. I'm currently using the long gun "holster" to hold my Mossberg 500 and it does so very well. In the past I used the hand gun "holster" mounted on the side of my bed for several years without any issues.

Someone made the comment about it marring up you gun, I can not speak to the other brands but, Fast Holster has a thick rubber on the magnets that does not cause any damage. Someone also made a comment about it magnetizing your gun. I got an opportunity to meet the Fast Holster guys at one of my local gun shows and I asked them that some question. I would take it with a grain of salt because he was trying to sell me a Fast Holster but, he stated that after you shoot a couple rounds through your gun it will degauss it.