1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gun belt necessary for IWB?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by austindavis1989, Mar 7, 2012.

1. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

its cool... your definitively not the only one... im sure I ruffle some feathers and get my feathers ruffled (by stupidity mostly). I can't be the only one, but I'm one who likes to poke the wasps nest from time to time.

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

It's not the average knuckle-head civilian you need to worry about. Career criminals and LEOs are a different story. With the latter, they'll just cautiously approach you and ask to see your CCW permit. "Gee officer, how did you know?"

Not a huge problem for those carrying legally. Still, unless you yourself have called the police because you need their help; no one likes dealing with a police officer while he's working his shift.

The career criminals are another story. An LEO can always tell when he's dealing with someone who has served time, the LEO gets recognized as being one while he's out of uniform. How is that possible? Career criminals know what to look for, even if the officer dresses casually during his time off. In some cases, yes; it's as simple as clothing. Mainly the shoes. In one case, years ago, a bank robber shot an off-duty officer while running out of the bank. The officer hadn't seen him, hadn't drawn his weapon, and wasn't even in the process of doing so. Later when caught, the robber was asked how he recognized the man as an LEO. The robber responded that the officer was wearing a distinctive leather key-ring Keeper on his belt. He then mentioned that only cops or prison guards wear that thing.

Sometimes it's deeper than that. Career criminals develop a gut instinct. They can tell when someone is an LEO, even if dressed in civilian clothing. And once again, clothing is the key. Carrying concealed is all about not attracting attention. Not having civilians pay attention to you is easy. LEOs and career criminals? Very different story. I'd rather not get shot in the back by a fleeing felon who recognizes I'm wearing a gun-belt and identifies me as a potential threat to his freedom. Nor do I want to get shot in the back by one because he wants my gun and has absolutely no problem with murdering me just so he can have another one. No thanks.

When you carry concealed, you do everything to make sure that no one even remotely knows you're carrying.

3. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

...all the more reason to wear a gun belt. It keeps the gun level, close, and thus prints less. It also is more comfortable throughout the day so you act more naturally, and don't give away the game. Gun belts keep you from having readjust and that's an easy tell. Oh yeah... gun belts look like other belts!... ... ... Are you trolling perhaps?

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

No. You're the new member here, along with the other guy. I'm a Regular on EDCF. The other Regulars know me. I'll let my reputation speak for itself . . . with them. No worries though. I'll be here long after you and the other new guy get fed up with just making insulting comments instead of actually contributing, and you eventually move on to a more immature forum where those types of posts are considered "cool."

The reason I don't advocate using gun-belts is because it's relatively easy to find quality-made leather belts that fit properly with one's chosen holster. You don't need an actual gun-belt that'll cost far more than a regular belt or that a career criminal might realistically recognize.

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

I don't base my knowledge off post count. I base my knowledge off of experience in my field of employment, and the experience and knowledge of my coworkers, trainers, and professionals in law enforcement, military, and other relevant fields. Oh btw, congrats on not being the new guy. coughtrollcough O0

6. dieselfuel

dieselfuel Empty Pockets

You're right you'll be here a long time after I leave. Whatever, I'm just here to look at guns and knives. The atmosphere around here is not really my style. Sorry if that bothers you.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"Wow, no offense man but I pretty much stopped paying attention about a third of the way through that."
    I guess you caught my humor after all.:crackup:

8. Eyebedam

Eyebedam Loaded Pockets

I can see your point maybe if someone was walking around with a gunbelt that looked like it belongs on Gunsmoke or something but not your traditional style belt [​IMG]

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I am uncertain if you meant to offer this image of this belt as a "Gunsmoke"-type belt or a "traditional" one. Nevertheless, in the area in which I reside (urban/suburban Southern California), it hints of a possible hidden firearm because it is a traditional Gunsmoke-type belt. It just depends on the area.

10. dieselfuel

dieselfuel Empty Pockets

That would attract attention than something like my wilderness gun belt. I never tuck in shirts though, so I'm not too worried.

11. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Diesel, Glitch, I'm totally with you guys on this one. I've never seen a gun belt with any kind of "distinctive white stitching". Aside from thickness it's difficult to tell the difference. Not really sure what these other guys are talking about. Yeah, gun belts cost more but are worth it and I generally take the price tags off things before I wear them out of the house.

To clarify, a gun belt in this instance refers not to a "cowboy rig" but to a simple belt, a trouser holder-upper, that is constructed to be more rigid so as to better carry the weight of a sidearm in a holster attached thereto. They come in many styles and sizes, with and without embellishments, tend toward the utilitarian in appearance and in my experience can be extremely low profile. So much so as to be virtually indestinguishable from an "non" gun belt. Indeed, many are designed with that in mind.

If you don't want to spend a little more on a belt designed for the purpose to which it is to be put, JC Penny is having a sale. No reason to run someone down because they do things differently.

12. Eyebedam

Eyebedam Loaded Pockets

Well in TN this is just a regular belt. Maybe just a diff color. I'd think a wilderness style belt would attract more attention just because of the tacticool factor.

13. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

Agreed! Sorry if I came off as my way or highway. You don't have to wear a gun belt, though I think its helpful. I just didn't want him to scare people off based on misinformation. What you wrote though, is right on point. Thanks for the clarity.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I took a look at the topic title first, before even posting in this thread. IWB = Inside the waistband. Clearly if you're looking for a belt with this type of carry in mind, then you're not looking for an old-fashioned cowboy style rig designed for open carry. No confusion at all regarding which type of gun-belts are being discussed. However, these types of purpose-built IWB carry gun-belts are sometimes a bit embellished, sometimes not. Thick, quality, white stitching is also generally the norm. No offense, but saying you've never seen a gun-belt with white stitching is like the average person saying they've never seen pepperoni on a slice of Pizza. Or, a watch collector asking, "What's a Patek Philippe?" Yes, the distinctive white stitching is very common on purpose-built gun-belts.

What you're describing as a gun-belt is simply a very rigid, slightly thicker, belt. And actually, yes; you can find that type of belt at JCPenney. You can also find them at more high-end department stores.

15. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Obviously I haven't been steeped in the New York City gun culture. I've never seen the white stitching, at least not that I can recall but I'll be sure to steer clear of anyone I see wearing it.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

NYC Gun Culture consists of hoplophobes who freak out over the sight of a water-pistol.

If you're ever up this way, PM me. I can introduce to my firearms instructor, Darren, over at the last firing range left on Manhattan Island. Very knowledgeable, no nonsense type of guy. If it wasn't for him, a lot more NYPD officers involved in shootings would be six feet under.

17. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mono:
    Ohhhhhh rainboooowwww... you're from NYC! No wonder you have such a skewed view of guns and there respective belts. I still disagree with you and have a mountain of proof to substantiate my claims, but at least I havean idea of why yourviews are theway they are.

All:
    If you conceal carry anything larger than an Airweight .38, please do your own research, buy a gun belt that fits your needs and let us know your findings.

18. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

imho a good belt is always the right choice, and the right investment. Makes both IWB and OWB carry easier / more comfortable.

Heck, I wear gun belts when I'm not carrying. I like the rigidity, and it helps keep my pants up when my pockets are crammed with misc crap..

BadgerX likes this.
  19. Condition1

Condition1 Loaded Pockets

i wear a beltman.com gun belt when i am not carrying a gun, and a tucker gunleather belt (with white stitching) when i am carrying a gun. they are better than the crappy belts in clothing stores, and i will pay extra for hand made in america.

20. shooter-medic

shooter-medic Loaded Pockets

I prefer a double thickness EDC belt for my IWB carry. It supports the sidearm comfortably and doesn't drag down and the pistol doesn't go deeper into my waistband than desired. I've tried carrying with single-thickness belts and it doesn't work for me.

I would stay away from the internal stiffener belts though. Tried those and it took it to the opposite end of the spectrum.

BTW, I carry either a Glock 19 or 1911 IWB at 3:30 and a spare mag/flash light weakside.

YMMV.

Jim