1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gun belt necessary for IWB?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by austindavis1989, Mar 7, 2012.

1. austindavis1989

austindavis1989 Loaded Pockets

How necessary is a gun belt for IWB carry? Keep in mind im using a decent belt (not a flimsy walmart belt), but I definitely not call this a gun belt. I have not found this to cause my pants to sag or the holster to flop around. Comments or insight?

2. Rule .308

Rule .308 Empty Pockets

I use a basic 1.5 leather belt for IWB carry and have no issues. I usually carry a Glock 23.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

The only time a specific belt is REQUIRED is when the specific holster requires it.

When one wheres this>
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

with these>
    http://crossbreedholsters.com/Portals/0/images/V-Clip_Details.jpg

one requires a belt like this>
    http://crossbreedholsters.com/InstructorBelt/tabid/117/List/0/ProductID/31/CategoryID/3/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

:)

So I've been told.

4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't figure out why the first one isn't a link. Sorry.

5. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Not an absolute but certainly a good idea. As long as your belt is rigid enough to carry the load it doesn't have to be specifically designed for the purpose. I'd ditch it though the minute it starts to show signs of wear and / or sagging.

6. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

Not if you use a remora holster

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Depends on the gun too. I wouldn't dream of carrying my .45 on anything other than a gun belt. Far too heavy.

8. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I agree with Kilted1 and TARFU. Another issue is that some belts designed for use with a holster look the part. In my day it used to be worse. They all looked either like they belonged with a police uniform or a cowboy cosplayer's getup. Much better selection nowadays.

But back on topic, a good, sturdy belt and holster combination helps keep the gun in one place. When the stuff hits the rotating air circulator and you will rely on your practice and muscle memory. Fumbling and groping for your gun when you really need it is more stress than I'd like to experience.

9. gflack

gflack Loaded Pockets

I have noticed that my normal wear belts are not as still and allow the gun to sag on my hip. I ordered a better belt to see if this helps the situation.

10. 69murray

69murray Loaded Pockets

This has been a nagging question in my mind as well. Keep us posted with your experience with the new belt vs. the old. Thanks!

Mark

11. gflack

gflack Loaded Pockets

My new belt is scheduled to be delivery on Monday. I will let you know how it goes.

12. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

no... but YES!

I'm with temujin here... OK so hears the deal... you don't NEED a gun belt. You could even use an extension cord as a belt and it would work. That being said, a gun belt does two super important things. First, it distributes weight FAR better. Because they are a more rigid belt, your gun weight gets spread out more. This means less sagging, less printing (showing gun outline), etc. It also means its more comfy throughout the day. Second, they are generally much better at keeping the gun/holster from walking. Walking is when your gun starts where you put it, (Ideally at about 4 o'clock for IWB), and moves around throughout the day. Not just side to side, but up, down, and tilting. If you need your gun its better to have it where you put it. Another added benefit is that they last way longer. Your sturdy un-sagging belt will not remain so for very long. This means buying replacements. Of course this is all over kill if you carry a Ruger LCP but helpful if you carry something wider or heavier, and :censored: near necessary if your gun is both. Best of luck and thank you for bring it up as too many people forget this very important part of the carry system. O0

Cheers,
    EG

13. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

A purpose built gun belt makes a huge difference in comfort and support, especially a gun belt with an internal polymer liner/stiffener. It will sag much less, distribute the weight much better, and be a lot more comfortable than any other kind of belt. In order to keep it from sagging, you'd have to cinch your regular belt very tight, and that is not comfortable; a stiff gun belt won't have to be cinched so tight, and that makes it much more comfortable.

14. brizbane

brizbane Loaded Pockets

I carry appendix inside waistband and use a 1.5" single layer nylon belt, like my Blackhawk or 511 belts. For me, IWB does not require as sturdy a belt.

On the rare occasion that I carry outside, than a stiff nylon belt purpose built for a holster is used, like my Wilderness or Endeavor belts.

15. rozz421

rozz421 Empty Pockets

Makes my daily carry a lot easier.

16. MadJoe

MadJoe Loaded Pockets

I just use a cheapo leather belt for my Glock 19. Never have any issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

17. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

:doh: If it works for you great... let me know how that belts doing in the next couple of months :lolhammer:

18. Glock 'em down

On duty (yeah, I'm a flatfoot) I wear a duty rig with all the bells and whistles.

Off duty, I bypass the whole belt thing and just don a pair of Round House overhauls. :agree:

They've got a TON of pockets! I just slip a J frame in my front pocket and distribute all my other assorted EDC swag (MTs, SAK, spare ammo, flashlights, etc.) throughout all the other pockets.

Sometimes I am required to wear something besides my good ol overhauls however. When that happens, I wear my Glock 22 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB holster mounted on a Wilderness Instructor belt.

Yes, a gun belt makes a world of difference.

19. austindavis1989

austindavis1989 Loaded Pockets

So I've since purchased two galco gun belts...while it doesn't make a world of difference, its definitely a very noticable difference and improvment. I don't know how to explain it really, but some how the gun feels lighter to carry. Not to mention I'm sure the belts will hold up longer, the old cheapo belt probably would have died after a few months worth of use. I've also noticed less of a "belt bulge" from where the gun sits (I don't wear oversized pants at all).

20. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Yeah, old, flabby belts allowed the gun/holster to move too much and it just felt insecure and at the least, sloppy. IMO, a well made and matched belt/holster combo conceals better. Sure makes a world of difference when it comes time to reach for the pistol.