1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Grudge Match Micra Vs. Squirt PS4: the Throwdown

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by znapschatz, Sep 29, 2015.

1. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Comparing my 0298 Micra with an unused PS4 that I got from Leatherman Warranty after sending in a Style PS with a broken scissor spring:

Advantage Micra. After 17 years of almost daily use, it looks almost like new. We'll see how the PS4 does after a bit of carry and use, but you know, paint.
    [​IMG]

Advantage PS4. Both blade shapes are okay with me, but the Squirt has more convenient outside opening and is better positioned for cutting while the Micra blade is a bit awkward to get out and not in an optimum place for best use. Both get the job done, though, but the PS4 is more elegant, also the keychain ring is at the butt instead of crowding the blade as in the Micra. However...
    [​IMG]

Advantage Micra. Fold it out and you have a useful and versatile extension. That's how I use the blade about half the time. Not possible with the PS4.
    [​IMG]

Advantage Micra. Flathead driver is longer, sharper cut than on the PS4, and...
    [​IMG]

Advantage Micra. The flathead driver extends, which capability I also use half the time.
    [​IMG]

Advantage Micra, although that depends to an extent on personal preference between a grooming tool or a small rasp. Also, the Micra file extends, the PS4's does not. I prefer the nail file, but YMMV.
    [​IMG]

No advantage. The Micra ph driver is longer, the PS4's is pointier. Both are just fine.
    [​IMG]

No advantage. Both extend.
    [​IMG]

Advantage Micra. Much better bottle opener, plus a tiny screwdriver that the PS4 lacks, also tweezers and ruler, which I forgot to show. PS4 gives up a lot in exchange for dinky scissors.
    [​IMG]

Advantage PS4. These pliers are pretty good, and the Micra doesn't have them.
    [​IMG]

Advantage Micra. Although the PS4 scissors are sharp, clearly the Micra has the size.
    [​IMG]

So there we are. Be nice. :dance:

Last edited by znapschatz, Oct 1, 2015
  2. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Nice!

My PS4 scissors failed, totally unuseable now.

Screwdriver steel is soft, they twist a bit. Not a brilliant tool in my eyes, rust is an issue too.

Micra seems more old school and therefore 'original leatherman', not chinesey-feeling.

Loving this write up though, concise and a nice read :)

theirishboxer, MrOG, MMMadson and 3 others like this.
  3. znapschatz

Thanks. My wife, on the other hand, really dislikes the Micra so much that if she doesn't even want to touch one (can this marriage be saved? :( ) When we are out and she needs scissors for something*, if all I have with me is a Micra, she'll pass. Too industrial for her, not hand friendly, and she does have a point. Hand tools should be comfortable in use, and for their utility, Leatherman does sacrifice some of that. OTOH, she does own a Squirt S4, her favorite for toenail clipping.

*When we are out together, I get to carry all the guy things (glad to do it :hug: .)

4. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I have the P4 and the Micra. I was just thinking the other day that I would drop the P4 Phillips and bottle opener for the Micra combo tool and a nice pair of scissors on the awl and small flat driver side.

5. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Nice review with nice pictures

6. znapschatz

Thanx for the "nice" replies :D .

7. znapschatz

Whenever I carry a pliers based multitool without scissors, I pair it with a Micra, and when going with a SAK, a P4. If all I can go with is a keychainer, I usually take the Micra, but can carry both, if I want. That's what the 5th pocket can do for you :).

8. znapschatz

Gah! After just noticing, a slight correction: the Micra pictured is 17 years old, not 8. I can't image where that number came from, but I've had the thing since bonding with an original Super Tool a few months earlier. The two were my only m-ts for the next 9 years until I replaced the ST with a NEW IMPROVED version, followed by a few :eek: other Leathermen and Vics. So much for minimalism :oops: (but I'm much better now :rolleyes_revamped: .)
    Although the original and a few others in my collection have since been mostly retired, sold off or given away, I contined on with the Micra. As a keychain sized tool, it never got really hard use, but lots of it and still looks great. From the start, Leatherman got this one right.
    On the other hand, not so much the Squirt PS4. The earlier versions, like the S4 and P4, were okay, but the PS4 gives up too much for too little. Or have I said that already?

9. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

In my experience with both, the Micra Phillips is wayyy stronger/more durable. The Ps4 Phillips is so easy to warp or chip.

Great write up!

10. gurdygurds

gurdygurds Loaded Pockets

Have you tried to dremel those sharp ridged edges to smooth them out? Maybe make them less harsh on the pockets??

11. znapschatz

The big sharp edge problem with the Micra is its fasteners, which I think would be unwise to dremel, but they are the ones that try to chew their way out of my 5th pocket. The holes are in the rear portion of the pocket, hidden by the larger RF pocket (we're talking jeans here, which I wear 98% of the time), so at least I don't look like a slob...at least, not for that reason :redface: .) The rest has to do with thin metal edges that dent the hand when using scissors, and I don't see how they could be rounded or buffered. This is inherent in the design. ​
    Actually, when using any other implement than scissors, I find it comfortable enough in the hand. The sharp issue sometimes comes up when using the tools extended, but since that's not a design feature anyway, I simply put up with whatever discomfort for the utility it provides, in any case not that bad. ​
    Lately, I have been carrying the Micra in a leather slip Leatherman formerly supplied for it, which completely solves the pocket problem, although giving me one extra step to getting the thing into action. They could still be found on line here and there, and there is also a slip designed for the Squirt, although made of imitation leather. It will fit the Micra, but not vice versa. Or, they can be home made. But from what I have read on these forums, many users carry Micras loose in their pockets with no complaints, as I did for many years. ​

CalicoSalsa and GeneralGlenn like this.
  12. znapschatz

This is the leather slip for the Micra, which I carry attached to a microlight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I was fixing to snap the slip, might as well picture the features I neglected in the earlier post.

These are the fold out tweezers. Not the best on keychainers, but I've used them and they do work,
    and one thing going for them is they'll never get lost.
    [​IMG]

This is a feature I use quite a bit on large and small Leathermen. In my life there are always things that
    need to be measured and I don't have a tape measure or ruler handy. I have memorized the length of body parts,
    currency and other things I usually have with me for comparison, but sometimes more precision is needed.
    [​IMG]

13. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Unless one needs the tiny pliers for paracording or something, I'd choose the Micra.

Tiny strong scissors are better than a tiny weak plier.:cool:

14. znapschatz

Got to agree.

QuodErat, ManVsLawn and GeneralGlenn like this.
  15. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I've loved the micra and just gave a big lovey-dovey review of it over on another thread...

Is the PS4 just that bad? I really want pliers on me, but don't have a need to have the full size Wave or Skeletool ones. I do a lot of Coax work with my TV, and I think the PS4 pliers could help out with that. I prefer small, as I like not having much on my person.

Do you think the PS4 would be the best bet for me?

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  16. znapschatz

It's not that the PS4 is bad, but compared to the Micra, offers fewer implements and some of them inferior. However, if you like small pliers, there are none better, and the other tools will certainly work. When I want a keychainer with pliers, I prefer the P4, which loses the scissors but has a punch and eyeglass screwdriver to compensate. Also, I like the look and feel of it compared to the PS4, but that is strictly a personal call, others might think otherwise. Usually, I pair it with a SAK with scissors.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  17. Brynoceros

Brynoceros Loaded Pockets

I carried a Micra for a few years while working in a custom cabinet shop. I used it often and loved it. Haven't carried it in a while. I may have to add it to my EDC bag.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  18. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

There's a few other factors at work here for me. Over the past year, I'be become a fan of the small Leatherman tools that I once sneered at. I was a die hard Victorinox fan and the little 58mm classic was a love of mine. A member of another forum gifted me a micra and it was a game changer for me. What I had once shunned, I fell in love with. To the point that my beloved Vic classic now resides in the sock drawer and I can't recall the last time I carried or used it.

But to the micra vs squirt. I have use both, and in all honesty I can't really make up my mind. The mircra is ahead by points, but they are both very useful little tools that do indeed work at their intend task. While the micra is now part of my edc keyring that I never leave the house without, the squirt is carried on a regular basis. I use a quick release hook, and sometimes swap them out in the boring all depending on what I am going to be doing that day.

Point- on the micra, if you pull out the blade and fold up the handles, you now have a small knife that can't fold over on you in some harder use than you foresaw that morning before leaving the house. Yeah, most of theitme I just pull out the blade anduyse with the handles open, but once in a while I do the holdup thing if I'm cutting my way through some thick cardboard or something that the blade gets buried in. The squirt has no way to secure the blade in use so its like a small easy sprung slip joint. Not a bad thing as I'm used to small slip joints, but there it is. A point in favor of the micra.

Another point in favor of the micra is the tweezers. I'vbe loved the tweezers on my old Vic classic, and I hate being without them. They've pulled splinters from my fingers on occasion, and twice they got a thorn out from our corgi's paw pads.

The bottle opener on the squirt is weak, but then I'm used to using a house key, SD tip on the classic, or a Bic lighter to open a beer. When it comes to a dedicated bottle opener, I'm kind of blasé on the issue. There's so many easy ways to open a beer that I don't care if the tool even has a bottle opener at all.

Pont in favor of the squirt- the pliers. Aftetr all, Leatherman made their forture by bringing a plier based folding tool to market, and the squirt is of that ilk. I have found the squirt pliers handy for things ranging from getting hood out the mouth a wriggling trout, to tightening up the loose antenna on my old Toyota Tacoma when I saw it wobbling in the wind. The ends of the small needle nose pliers are fine enough to serve as forceps in a pinch. And the light wire cutter has been used twice. I found the phillips driver too narrow, so I filed it a bit more blunt for mainstream size phillips screws.

One more point in favor of the squirt- As a senior citizen with some arthritis issues, I end the old fingers sometimes not strong enough to twist off or pull a small item. The small pliers on the squirt are a wonderful thing to have in a pocket. Pulling a jammed quarter out of a parking meter, a small twist off cap that has not been opened for 10 years comes off easy with the squirt pliers.

Soooo, it seems like a keep both around, and use both. They both have their good points and bad, but the micra is now living on my keyring, and the squirt is somewhere close at hand. If I think I need the squirt, then the micra will get unhooked and the squirt hooked onotthe keyring. I like the both a heck of a lot!! But the micra does get carried more.
    [​IMG]

With the blade "locked" in this position, it can't fold over on you. When this can be important is kind of iffy, but there it it.
    [​IMG]

GeneralGlenn and Hangman like this.
  19. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The Squirt pliers are better at doing tweezer jobs than the tweezers on the Micra.

20. znapschatz

Agreed, but the Micra scissors are enough better than the PS4's that I put up with the skinny Micra tweezer in exchange. Away from home, I seldom use tweezers anyway, so it's a good compromise for me. However, I do like the Squirt small pliers, and often when I am carrying a SAK, my Squirt P4, which loses those dinky scissors in exchange for an eyeglass driver and an awl, comes along as a supplement.