1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Griptilians, Griptilikins and Ritters are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by panzer, Aug 12, 2008.

1. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

I wonder if the Griptilikins would appeal to me more if the dollar was worth 1.5 euro. :shrug: They ARE nice and they ARE pricey, but are they actually overpriced or is the currency exchange just pricing them out of all reasonableness for Americans? :broke: I honestly have no way to judge if they are reasonable or pricey in Euros, so perhaps some of the European members could comment on this. :popcorn:

2. Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Bear Claw Chris Lappe Empty Pockets

[img width=640 height=452]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/landylux/IMG_7139900.jpg[/img]

Man o Man!!!

The thought of those orange scales on my Ritter RSK!!!!!!!!!

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

3. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Even 1:1... its still high in my opinion.

4. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Now if we could get Ti Griptilikins..... :evilgrin:

5. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

STR can probably do that.

6. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Ok...I have waited quite some time before posting in here.
    Let me say first off that I love my BM Mini-Grips, I have or have had almost every model and variations of blade steels.

I think these are excellent knives for the money, they are very well designed and feel good and solid in the hand, as well as excelling at the tasks they were designed for.

As for the full size Ritter Grips, I really don't like them. I had heard dozens and dozens of testimonials on their "awesomeness" and "worthiness", so a few months back when an opportunity came up to buy one from a fellow member, I jumped on it. To be 100% honest, I was very disapointed in the knife the second I held it. It felt too light and cheap, especially the handle. Other than the "so-called" upgrade in blade steel (I still prefer 154cm to S30V and D2) it reminded me of a "Cold Steel" $40-$50 knife.......I certainly won't rush out to buy another one....but rather will stick to the much more usefull and solid feeling BM mini-griptillians, of which I EDC regularly....even as I'm writing this.

That's just my (probably unpopular) 2 cents.....

7. Khemist

Khemist Empty Pockets

Hey LZ- thanks for the input. Are you saying the non-Ritter grips have better handles? I've never owned any of them, but the mini-Ritter caught my eye the other day.

8. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

IIRC, they're the same grips (pun intended) - handles, that is.

9. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

All BM griptilians have the same handles. The difference is the mini grips have full metal liners whereas the full size grips have about 3/4 metal liners giving the impression that they are less solid which is why some folks prefer the minis.

I have three ritter mini grips and one regular mini and think the ritter blades are still a good upgrade for the price. I do wish that in addition to supporting the equipped.org that you would give you a free year membership to kniferights.org which is another Doug Ritter endeavor.

I would rather buy a custom knife than spend the money on just the Griptilikan scales plus they don't make them for minis AFAIK.

10. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty sure STR refuses to do Griptilian scales.

11. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

This is the first time I've seen the Griptilikin scales. Very nice!!! If money was no object I would buy them in a second for my grip. I have the full sized grip and love it. I was not wanting to spend the extra money for the Ritter model. What stands out to me is the ergonomics, feel in the hand, and definitely the awesome locking mechanism.

12. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

Yeah STR has mentioned recently that he wont - as do most other modders.
    I'd take my mini apart to show the milling involved but since it's opening so smoothly after my regrind...I don't want to disrupt it.

Since Benchmade molds these scales its no issue, but anyone starting off with rough slabs of g10/micarta/cf has their work cut out for them.

Here's some pictures I found of the work involved
    http://www.chaxknives.com/016BenchmadeGriptilian.html

13. sabongero

sabongero Loaded Pockets

I had a M2 full size Ritter and it was great I even had the blade reground by Tom Krein who put a a high hollow grind on it and put a 0.10 edge on it. Man could that thing slice like a lightsabre. It garnered alot of attention too and I ended up trading up with it. Due to the rarity of the M2's I ended up in Strider territory on the trade. Great knife and I wish I didn't trade it now as the value of an M2 Ritter is increasing as we speak! :)