1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Griptilians, Griptilikins and Ritters are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by panzer, Aug 12, 2008.

1. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

I know lots of folks love these knives. But I have no experience with them and would love to hear what makes them great. And what is the best ones to get? Is the Ritter better then the standard? Is the Griptilikin conversion worth the extra cash or is it putting pearls on a pig?? :help:

2. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I think they're awesome value for the money. I have a full size Grip and a couple of mini-grips. The mini-grip is more than enough size for my needs (outdoors, casual box opening, etc.).

What makes them so popular, I think, is the combination of good quality materials, excellent construction, AMAZING locking mechanism, and hard to beat CS from Benchmade.

I've heard the shape of the Ritter makes it heavier, sturdier... better. but it also has a different (harder, IIRC) steel. I'm not that much of a a knifenut to justify the added price.

The conversion looks gorgeous, but for the investment, might as well buy a fancier custom knife.

My 2 cents, of course.

3. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

Fair enough, thanks for the input!

4. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

The griptilikin is nice looking but yeah, it doesnt change the ability of the knife any. That isn't stopping me from wanting it. The griptilians are notoriously a pain in the :censored: to make new handle scales for.

I've found the mini is enough blade for my needs as well. I just posted in the "show us your sharps" thread a picture of it, reground by knifemaker Tom Krein. It's a whole new knife now.

5. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

I love my mini Ritter. The grind and stonewashed surface are very different from the other mini Grips. I have EDC'd mine most days since I got it. I do usually carry multiple knives, but the Ritter is the one that gets used most.

It seems like the Ritter changes are all purely performance driven, where the Griptilikans changes are purely cosmetic? I have never handled a Griptilikin modded knife, so maybe I am missing something there.

6. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

I believe the Griptilikins are pure cosmetic, but man they are neat! It's hard to justify the cost. It's a $200 benchmade!

7. Corso

Corso Loaded Pockets

own a mini-ritter myself probably my fav folder

never seens Griptilikins any links out there?

8. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

9. Junker

Junker Empty Pockets

Hey all...first post here...thats outta the way, now onto the Grips. I just ordered one of these myself after much searching for the right one. The ritter grip looks sweet as can be...If I'm impressed with my 551BKSN I might just pick up one of those mini-ritters...The blade shape looks like a winner. Those Griptilikins look nice too. I cant tell without handling it but the G-10 looks like it could be more aggressively checkered for that 200$+ price tag. Although having the option of hookin up your grip later with just a handle purchase is pretty sweet. I've been looking at all sorts of Griptilians for about a month now and just figured out what I wanted the most from one of them...In short if you like it, buy it...Its got the track record to prove its a solid knife. Peace and :luck:

10. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I have an onld 550, a large ritter and mini ritter. The ritters have an awesome blade and one of the best handles in the knife world. The full size pretty much fills up the pocket when clipped so many find the mini better for edc but they're both great knives.

Phil

11. BoxANT

BoxANT Empty Pockets

I have a fullsized Ritter and a mini Cabela, they're both awesome knives and I highly recommend both.

But honestly, the nomral 154CM grips are one of the best costs/effective knives out there (along with delica/endura 4s and the Leek CB imo).

12. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, Junker.

13. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I think the Griptilians are definitely worth it. There are plenty of other great knives but the Griptilian is a classic that many of us have or have had.

As for the Griptilikins, it is worth it only if you really love the Griptilian. I have found other knives I like much more so it is not worth it to me, but you shouldn't look at it as "spending $100+ to upgrade a sub-$100 knife." I have put plenty of money into my bicycle, probably close to or more than what I paid for the original setup and if it feels like a worthwhile upgrade to you then it is worth it!

IMHO the same goes for the Ritter since you are paying quite a bit of premium for a different blade geometry and slightly better steel. It is a good knife, and a pretty fair value, but not when you compare it to the plain old Griptilian. Its worth is clearly in the eye of the beholder/owner.

14. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

Gotta love the comfy handle and the axis lock.

15. Woz

Woz Empty Pockets

I love my Mini Grip and plan to go for a full sized Ritter. As for the Griptilkins I have to say I really like them. Kevin does a great job on his knifes, the Griptilkins mod is fantastic. But thinking of the price, I´ll stay with normal grips or Ritters, and save my money for a Wilkins custom some day - Ryback EDC? I´ll let you know then ;D

16. landylux

landylux Empty Pockets

I really love my two Griptilikins. When you look at the prices of some Benchmade knives in europe (Rukus, Mini-Rukus, etc.) it's even cheaper to get a Griptilian and add some scales from Kevin Wilkins. Another advantage is that you don't have to fear to use it. You could always replace the blade for a quite small amount of money (just in case...).

Some pics:

[img width=640 height=439]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/landylux/IMG_6571800.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=452]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/landylux/IMG_7139900.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=445]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/landylux/IMG_6682800.jpg[/img]

17. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I've had a Mini-Grip 556S for a few months, and I think it's one of the best knives I've ever owned. I particularly like the Axis lock - it's smooth, can be easily opened or closed with one hand, and has a solid, positive lock when open.

I have never seen one of the Ritters or Griptilikans in person, but I decided on a standard Mini-Grip after looking hard at the Ritters online and deciding that the slight difference in blade geometry wasn't worth double the price. It reminded me of walking into a boat shop and seeing exactly the same binoculars that Dick's Sporting Goods carries, but re-colored blue and with the word "marine" added to it, at double the price.

The Griptilikan conversion is very impressive looking, but also very expensive. I don't think I could ever justify the price. If it were cheaper, or if it offered additional funtionality to the knife, or even allowed user-interchangable scales, I might consider it.

I think my standard black Mini-Grip 556S will be with me for decades.

18. Corso

Corso Loaded Pockets

19. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Why the Ritters cost more.

The Ritters are more expensive for three reasons:

1: the steel upgrade. The steel costs more and it has more costly speeds and feeds in the CNC milling machines.

2: high manufacturing costs. The ritter sells through one vendor in limited quantities. This means that all the tooling costs for the blade re-design and production have to be recouped on a low volume production. This raises the costs quite a bit. There are some similar but small, inventory costs that a new SKU also adds.

3: some of the price goes to fund Doug Ritter's quality website, www.equipped.org one any EDCer should have bookmarked.

So yes, the Ritter is significantly more. But it's not a profiteering scheme.

20. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Had a Mini Grip.. didn't like the blade shape and finish. Got rid of it.

Got a Ritter... I like it alot. Feels much more significant. Stonewashed S30v is a great touch. I really like this knife.

As for Wilkins... I find it funny that handles cost more than the knife. Overpriced in my opinion.