1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Griptilian 550 or Kershaw RAM?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Drobax, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

I've been searching and searching about these two knives and still can't decide. It would be for my main EDC carry knife and I don't mind the longer blade length at all. What I love about the Kershaw RAM, is that I REALLY love the flipper style blades and that axis-type lock is really cool. But the Benchmade just has that "feel" to it. I wish it was a flipper type design but you can flip it open while holding down the Axis button.

Do any of you have a yay or nay on either of these? I'm pretty sure most will be in favor of the Griptilian but I can't find too much about the RAM.

And here's the thing, I have purchased both with intention of taking one back. But for now, both are in my pockets and I can't decide.... lol...

(Just to note, money is tight so keeping both isn't an option)

Thanks in advance...

2. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

My first true knife that I carried all of the time was a Kershaw 1600 Chive. Absolutely loved it! But I must say that ever since I got my Benchmade Hollow Ground blade with hole cut out instead of thumb stud I have carried the Mini Griptilian more than any other knife.

It's safe to carry, and can be deployed faster than the kershaw spped-safes because of one thing: The lock on the Kershaw's to keep the blade from opening is usually done with two hands(I do it with two hands any ways).

The benchmade can be grabbed from the pocket, hold down the axis lock and just a simple flick makes the blade come out.

If you time it just right you will lock the blade by letting go of the axis lock when the blade is opened!

I would go with any Benchmade with Axis-Lock over a speed-safe designed Kershaw any day.

Axis is by far my most favorite knife mechanism to date.

Hope this helps.

3. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

Thanks DemskeetSkeet...

I have decided to return the Kershaw. Just doesn't do it for me and the Benchmade just seems like a work of art. I REALLY enjoy it.

Now, the problem I'm having is that I need to pick up a Mini-Griptilian also.... lol..... :censored:-it!

4. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Good choice. Nothing against Kershaw, and I hear the RAM is a great knife, but the Griptilian is a Benchmade classic.

5. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

To each his own. I've got a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 556 and a Kershaw RAM. I really love the fast opening action of the RAM. It's replaced my 556 as the EDC and go to knife.

6. spoonrobot

spoonrobot Loaded Pockets

The RAM isn't a SpeedSafe design, it's just an extremely fast flipper. There isn't any way to lock the RAM closed, nor is there any safety-type device on the knife. Although I suppose the OP already knows this since he has them both.

7. Bill_Mead

Bill_Mead Empty Pockets

I have several Griptians (the only downside, you may want more than one) and really like them. My favorite is the Ritter mini Griptilian.