1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Grinding a Jetsetter Phillips into a standard screwdriver

Discussion in 'Knives' started by HeadedToTexas, May 6, 2018.

1. HeadedToTexas

HeadedToTexas Loaded Pockets

The Victorinox Jetsetter appears to come exclusively with a Phillips at the end of the cap lifter. My work has me needing a small standard blade 90% of the time I need a screwdriver. It occurred to me to simply grind the Phillips down into a standard blade. During my research I came across an image of one that appears already complete. That or Victorinox supplied them with flat blades at some point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I use a bench grinder quite a bit, but only to grind off sharp edges of UniStrut and rebar. Can I use the same wheel to do the rough work on the Phillips and then finish it with a stone? Looking for some advice. Thanks.

2. HeadedToTexas

My Google-fu is apparently running a little slow. The straight edge screwdriver was on the Bladeless and Jetsetter 1 models. Those are pretty rare. Search is on.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm no machinist but for the life of me I can't see why you couldn't do what you suggest. If you were grinding a blade I suppose there could be concerns for what it would do to the heat treat. But between the fact that this is the screwdriver plus Victorinox are not exactly known for the toughest steels anyway, I don't see the issue. If you think your skills are up to it, my vote is go for it. Plus let us know how it worked out!

Any machinists (pro or hobby) want to jump in?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I'd have to root through a bag of SAKs, but I'm pretty sure I have at least one with a straight instead of a Phillips tip.

As far as regrinding goes, it would be pretty easy to do.

5. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

I’d carefully use a grinding wheel to form the flat driver, cooling the workpiece every few seconds. Then touch it up with a fine deburring wheel. If you don’t have one, they’re worth investing in. Use a slow speed grinder if available as well.

thegrouch314 likes this.
  6. HeadedToTexas

Thanks guys.

7. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

As long as you make sure it’s not getting hot (see color) you should be fine.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

8. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Also I would suggest to grind the flat driver with the wheel turning towards the blade.
    This way it's easier to see how the blade forms and it's looking and working better, too.

I say that because I've seen how the screwdrivers on job were "reshaped" with a big belly and thin tip.
    What you want is a convex line towards the edge not a belly.

9. Yablanowitz

That depends on the use of the screwdriver. Good ones are usually hollow ground (concave) to give more contact area with the inside of the screw slot. The sides of the slot are parallel, so if you convex your driver, it only makes contact at the mouth of the screw slot. This can easily result in deformation of the screw head and makes it much more likely that the driver will climb out of the slot, tearing up the screw in the process. A properly hollow ground driver will have an area at the tip where the sides are parallel just like the slot in the screw. It will fit to the bottom of the slot, gripping both sides evenly for the entire depth of the slot. This allows maximum torque transfer with minimum slippage.

Doing a proper job on a driver this small would require a small diameter wheel like a Dremel tool stone or a chain saw file and a fair amount of skill.

Edit to add: Rereading your post, I'm guessing you actually meant "concave line toward the edge not a belly" and I'm really repeating what you meant. Oops.

Moshe ben David and Adahn like this.
  10. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

You're right, I meant the same but reading your explanaition is easier because english seems to be your mother tongue :)

11. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

It does not depend. Those kind of tools are not made willy-nilly. See ISO 2380-1. But I guess we can let this one slip, because it’s custom made

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

12. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I've successfully modified Victorinox tools with a Dremel and solid TCT burrs or cutters. Take it slow and it's not a problem to cut that stainless steel.

However, you are going to lose some length on that Jetsetter as you grind down the pointed tip and maybe a bit more to give enough thickness for the slotted screwdriver. That may be less than ideal compared with the original Jetsetter 1. Given the shear number of small screwdrivers or mini bit drivers with interchangeable tips, I do wonder if this mod is really worth the effort.

13. Yablanowitz

It does depend, mostly on whether you're using the tool for a screwdriver or one of the many other things people use screwdrivers for.

14. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets