1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Grimloc

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by T-roy, Dec 15, 2010.

1. T-roy

T-roy Empty Pockets

Is ther a trick to put them on

2. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

You just have to work the strap a bit, just give some patience to it.

3. SCUBASTEVE

SCUBASTEVE Loaded Pockets

Are these really worth it? The profile seems large.....

4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Like everything else, the Grimloc probably fulfills it's originally designated uses better than the variety of uses that it is put to in widespread use. I.E. is was designed for a specific purpose and in reality that isn't what it is being used for.

Grimloc™ Locking D-ring When the United States Marine Corps was looking for a new fastener for their bladder hydration system they came to ITW. ITW had recently delivered the first IR signal reducing hardware, GhillieTEX™, and the Marines new that they could count on us. The existing hydration units utilized a shoulder strap system that was prone to ridding over the body armor and cutting of circulation to the arms at the shoulder and pinching nerves. Marines in the 1 MEF began to ask for a system that would allow them to fasten their hydration system directly to their body armor.

The Grimloc™ Locking D-ring was the solution. Around this time the Army was also looking for a fastening solution to mount items directly to the MOLLE webbing found on rucksacks, body armor, and load bearing vests. The army was interested in a solution that was strong enough to carry equipment that required quick access yet would "break away" with a Soldiers weight. Often Soldiers would mount lanyards directly to the MOLLE webbing, or to large metal Carabineers utilized in climbing. These methods would not allow for a quick break if the lanyard was snagged jumping and could result in serious injury to the soldier.

• Corrosion resistant Stainless Steel Spring and plastic
    • GhillieTEX™ IR signature reduction Technology
    • Light weight • Resistance solar heating
    • "SP" Self purging (Sand Pump) ports to eliminate sand from blocking the mechanism
    • Break away feature • Solid performance over a wide range of environmental conditions
    • Textured grip for use with gloved hands
    ATB,
    Sam

5. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

I literally had bleeding fingers before I enlarged the 'slot' for the webbing to pass through. Still, I have to use long nose pliers to remove it.

This is on the PF2 webbing near the top.

6. SCUBASTEVE

SCUBASTEVE Loaded Pockets

Hmmmm....interesting. Hard to believe that just a few years ago things weren't able to go directly on body armor! I can attest to how difficult it is to take shoulder straps on/off with body armor...if you don't have a buddy nearby you're hosed.

7. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

They are very difficult to put on...but honestly I wouldn't have it any other way.

SCUBASTEVE, they are actually a lot lower profile than you think! First time I saw Grimlocs in person I was shocked at how small they are compared to what I thought they'd be.

8. Igor01

Igor01 Loaded Pockets

I had no trouble putting mine on, but removing them to switch to a different pack was another story :)

9. mjadams75

mjadams75 Loaded Pockets

They are a pain to put on, but I like 'em A buddy of mine gave me two of them and I attached them to my Rush-24. I've found it easier to hang extra stuff off of them.

10. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

I like them alot mostly for the ability to hang stuff in a hurry to a larger bag sortof a plug and play setup;. If i need to hang a 2 way radio and extras plus a FAK to my Go-Bag and just hop in the truck i can in a minute and not worry much about them breaking that easily

11. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

No trick involved, You just have to be smarter than it .. I just got 2 of them and the'll be 10 more as soon as I get to ordering them !
    Great little units ,)

BE WELL .. GH

12. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

feed the body of the GL through the webbing spot, then pinch the webbing together and wiggle and smush and press the webbing into the GL slot until it goes in. it'l take probably a few minutes.

13. pike_mazter

pike_mazter Loaded Pockets

I haven't found any tricks as of yet. Its going to be a pain but its well worth it. These things are amazing.

14. CLBME

CLBME Empty Pockets

My trick is to use a pair of needle-nose pliers. I feed the webbing into the wider portion of the slot then grab the webbing with the needle-nose and push down toward the longer slot already filled and then twist the pliers a bit so that you can slip it under the shorter section. I found it to be the "easiest" way for me. Same to remove them. YMMV.

15. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

I feed the "clip" part of the Grimloc through the webbing's "channel" first, and then get it into its position without it being properly mounted.

I then close the Grimloc, and push it down so that the notch where the webbing slides into the channel is visible underneath the webbing. I pull up and away on it, and usually most of the webbing will slide into the channel with the bit above the notch sticking out.

From there I sort of pull and rock it the rest of the way in, applying lots of pressure with my thumbs to the webbing. The best technique seems to be to make the webbing "roll" itself within the mounting channel. It's about like dissassembling a Ruger .22 pistol, there's just a secret handshake to it. You can do it just don't give up.

But for me the trick is to lock it closed and then slide it on.

16. NaOH

NaOH Loaded Pockets

Mine go on and off easily.