1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Greyman Techwear

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Osage, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Osage

Osage Loaded Pockets

First, to begin this post, I want to apologize for its wordiness; but I felt that I should lay out my premise before I introduce my topic. So here goes—

What is a "grey man"? Answer--a "grey man" is an individual who possesses the skills, ability, and intent to blend into any situation or surrounding without standing out, concealing his or her actual skills, ability, and purpose from others. The term "grey man or greyman" is currently used by survivalists who believe that dressing and acting "grey" will improve their chances if :censored: hits the fan :)censored:).

Promoters of grey man style believe that overt tactical gear and dress is a "shoot-me-first" signal, and instead prefer multi-modal equipment and outfits that will help them avoid attention if or until it's time to use force. For example, a grey man wouldn't carry a "bug out bag" such as the 5.11 Tactical Rush model, because such bags include noticeable military features like MOLLE panels, hydration bladders, and camouflage. The grey man prefers to carry his weapons and supplies in a dorky messenger bag like the Vertex EDC Satchel, designed to "blend into everyday life" while still holding ballistic inserts and allowing for rapid firearm draws.

Now for another question…What is "techwear"? Answer--techwear is a new and increasingly popular name in the avant-garde fashion industry. Put simply, it's clothing that serves a purpose over and above simply covering your body. This includes heat insulation, breathability, water-resistance, and additional accessory storage. Much of current techwear fashion results in the antithesis of the "greyman." Think of the "technija" appearance of the "Acronym" brand.

Now I come to this post's topic. For those of you who have considered this issue—what clothing brands can you recommend that check both the box of being "techwear" and of being "greyman."

Remember, although a pair of jeans may meet the "greyman" box, they don't meet the "techwear" box. Likewise, a pair of Crye Precision G3 field pants certainly meet the "techwear" box (I love mine although they are expensive as hell); they definitely don't check the "greyman" box.

Brands that I can think of that seem to fit the bill are Arc'teryx Veilance and Cloudburst, as well as Descente and Nanamica. These are expensive brands, and their expense, or at least their expensive look, may break our “greyman” criteria. Can you provide any other suggestions???

#1 Osage, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    ballistic likes this.
  2. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

The most technical wear clothing I have seen and acquired is from Vollebak clothing. I really enjoy the 100 Year Hoodie and pants thou expensive.

3. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

If you’re asking about specific clothing that has some extra pockets for stuff yet are constructed with a lightweight, moisture wicking material and won’t break the bank then the Ascent line from Eddie Bauer might meet your requirements. The pants/shorts are decent quality and not terribly expensive.

4. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've been wanting to get a sportcoat and perhaps some shirts from Ministry of Supply for customer meetings, but I haven't done it yet.

5. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Scottevest.com has clothes with multiple pockets with inbuilt RFID screening, bottle holders, attached keyrings, earphone cabling channels and even a knife sheath for the Benchmade SOCP dagger in the sleeves (Brad Thor Alpha jacket).

ran23 likes this.
  6. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I love cloths from Railrider. Supposedly, according to their older marketing materials, their pants were favored by the spec ops community. I first heard about them from the website Section Hiker who wrote about their pants and shirts for hiking. Some of their pants have cargo pockets, knee patches, etc that make them look a bit tactical, but they have others that are lower profile. What I love about their cloths is that they fold down to nothing, can be washed out in a sink and not have wrinkles. Last year on a two week overseas trip, I used a number of their pieces to pack everything I needed in a carry on rollerboard and my small backpack. I highly recommend them for technical grey man

7. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Vertx, North Face, Kuhl, Marmot.

8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I live across the pond from you, so brands as well as behavior may differ from where you live.
    First off, I think just about every outdoor brand will fit your bill. The outdoor clothing industry has pretty much pioneered the technical clothing market and are to a large degree responsible for the development of textile technologies that are mainstream today. Many fashion brands have jumped on the bandwagon in later years, but I belive you will still find the leading edge in techwear within the dedicated outdoor brands.
    In my view it has done more damage than good that outdoor gear has become fashion, but the truly great thing from your perspective is that you can get high quality technical gear and blend in quite easily.

That last sentence has some cultural dependencies however. Where I live, in Norway, outdoor techwear is as commonplace as jeans. Unless you put om multicam or similar, you can go full gore-tex from head to toe in any common outdoor color from black to blaze orange, and noe one will turn their head. But even in less weird places than Norway I would't think a regularly cut black GTX jacket would turn many heads?

Brands that would buy you quality and grey-man points around here would be Norrøna, Arc'Teryx, Rab, Klättermusen, Black diamond, Lundhags, Haglöfs, Fjällräven etc..

FiaOlleDog, echo victor and ballistic like this.
  9. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

I'm into the techwear aesthetic and I think Uni-Qlo ticks all of your boxes.

ran23 likes this.
  10. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think the majority of "tech wear" is "gray man."

aicolainen likes this.
  11. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Rohan (Uk based) would be worth a look.

12. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

I recently have switched from maxpedition to Bellroy. The materials are the same but the look is worlds apart. Compare the Bellroy Sling to the max Fatboy. About the same size and the same tough materials and the Bellroy even holds more and is easier to access. Check out Bellroy.