1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Grey man'ing a tactical bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by IThinkTooMuch, Feb 24, 2019.

1. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

I need a new EDC bag, and I like the utility of some of the tactical briefcases and messengers. But, I don't like the attention tactical gear gets.

Given something like a Red Rock Navigator bag, what's everybody's thoughts on stripping off the PALS webbing and velcro? Turn it into one of the ubiquitous black nylon bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Rock-Outdoor-Gear-Navigator/dp/B0088QMOCU/

2. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

3. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

No need to get a pouch that will attach to and cover the molle and a velcro patch to cover the velcro , I used a red hot chilli peppers patch on my pack velcro and put a random pin type badge on there.

Patch even a plain black square or you can add a design that deflects a tactical look a band or brand ( Jansport or truck\tool brand )

4. bigshowrenfro

bigshowrenfro Loaded Pockets

Hazard 4 Grayman Kato is really nice. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I find that generally the laser cut webbing doesn't stand out as much as the traditional kind.

It's kind of the best of both worlds; functional and subtle. Probably isn't quite as strong as the sewn on type, and if it fails the whole panel will fail rather than just the one line but I don't see how you'll be pushing a pack hard enough to rip the webbing in everyday life

Jay-uk and FiaOlleDog like this.
  6. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

If you are going to remove the webbing and disguise it as a Jansport messenger, why not simply buy a Jansport messenger? Heck, they might even be made in the same factory as the other import bags, might save a little effort.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My Kaito doesn't really look too Tactical anyway,or at least no one has ever given it a second thought?

Great Bag Too!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AlgoOPC, GrimmWolf and LivingUpNorth like this.
  8. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

The following suggestions are a bit more expensive than the Red Rock you linked, but they're all great bags, and very well made.

5.11 Tactical has been doing a good job lately of releasing low-profile tactical bags. Check out their COVRT Box Messenger, Mission Ready Document Bag, just for starters. They also have a nice range of backpack-type packs that are low-profile.

Also, check out the line of bags from Vertx (you can use the code "garandthumb" to get a 25% discount!). I have their Gamut backpack and it's a very nice grey-man pack.

9. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Does it matter?

Inside the U.S., most Americans aren't under surveillance and most other Americans will never even notice your presence so what's to disappear from?

A daily bag will likely never see apocalypse so you won't need to fear another taking your Clif bars and N95 mask.

I kind of got into th gray man, subtlety some time ago then realized there was no need. I'm a 6'2" ginger, and I work in a medical office building. Nobody cares if I have a GORUCK or a watch with a NATO strap sometimes. :)

If I were going to third world dustville, I'd examine some options.

10. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

I can understand the point of choosing the bag from "tactical" breed - it is more rectangular, more durable, more tend to allow internal customizing.
    But.
    If you rip off the PALs, it will leave small nasty holes all over the exterior. Not from ripper, from the stitching.

So my advice is - in case you want to go cheap - look at some chinese offerings, some of them are nice and PALs-free.

11. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

There are tons of quality non-tactical bags out there which is why it drives me nuts that the tactical companies like 5.11 continue to double down on their "Covert" lines when they could improve and evolve their existing quality tac gear. Carrying a tactical bag will gain you no odd looks unless you're also sporting tac hat, boots, clothing, etc. Hazard 4 and Maxped seem to be successfully combining both with their Grayman and Entity lines respectively, but I still wish they would focus more on what made them successful. While the 5.11 Rush series are fantastic, wouldn't it be great if they updated them with all the lessons they've learned up until now?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

demPho likes this.
  12. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

I used to be overly concerned about embracing the whole gray man thing but between seeing 4-foot tall tween girls, to elderly gents in ball caps, to middle aged men in business suits carrying tactical bags, to mainstream bag companies designing "faux tactical" looking bags and packs, it doesn't really matter in the end. If we're in an apocalypse situation tomorrow, and suddenly everyone with a 5.11 Rush is a potential enemy combatant, then I'll gladly eat my words.

Unless you've got a million offensive patches, pouches protruding left and right like bulbous tumors, gadgets jingling and jangling about like a wind chime, you're decked out head-to-toe in full tactical gear, or you're blatantly and obviously acting in a suspicious manner, the attention and scrutiny I "thought" I was getting was all in my head.

This says nothing about each person's personal and subjective concerns about the outward appearance of a bag, but this notion that most gear heads have about automatically being perceived as a hostile or nefarious target simply due to a type of bag is largely inflated IMHO. Most people have their noses glued to their smartphones or are in their own little world with headphones on anyway. If your aim is to be on the low-low from LEOs, well, that could be another discussion entirely.

But, to each their own. Sorry for the unsolicited opinion and thread derail. Back to regular programming....

Last edited by RoboSim, Mar 28, 2019
    #12 RoboSim, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  13. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

What bag is this please?

14. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

First Tactical Summit Side Satchel. I changed out the zipper pulls and added a couple pouches to either side.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Mark Patton likes this.
  15. Slumber

Slumber Loaded Pockets

I don't care about looking like a grey man, but PALS webbing is unnecessary to me.

16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Why not just get a functional, non-"tactical" bag and use tactical organizers inside to achieve the function that you want? Timbuk2 messenger bags are sturdy, durable, and more ubiquitous than a black nylon bag.

17. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets