1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Greetings from the Sonoran Desert!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sonoran Tree, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Sonoran Tree Loaded Pockets

Hi all, Been lurking here for a while. I guess I have been an EDC kindof guy most of my life, but I didn't know that was what it was called. I ran into this forum while investigating bags for carrying equipment for my hobby of beetle (the insects) collecting. I have carried a small survival kit for years in my bag for hiking/travel but have upgraded a bit recently.

I have also added a few things to my pockets since searching around EDCF a bit, including a lighter/extra fuel (non-smoker!!), and a large folder. I also now have a LOT of paracord! I'll put some pictures up when I get a chance. For now, I got one picture of my pack while down along the Hassayampa River searching through dying trees for insect life this afternoon.

(Well, here is where the picture is supposed to go - why can't I browse to it???)

My EDC bag is more of a truck bag, though I carry it while in the field. I don't spend too much time very far away from my truck except when I am in the boonies - our work is usually right close.

I am a professional "Certified Arborist" and run a tree service/landscape company. We have been in business for 8 years since moving to the Sonoran Desert outside Phoenix, AZ. I spend most of every day out in the field, although I have more "windshield time" now that I have more employees... We work in rural/suburban areas and see a lot of wildlife! I get out collecting in the mountains, foothills and deserts as often as possible - that is where I would be most likely to encounter a "situation". My most likely emergency situation would probably be vehicle trouble while I am in the boonies. I am not a mechanic, but carry a few tools. We decided to carry a case of bottled water in our vehicles starting this spring (we don't drink the stuff usually, but will rotate these cases out a couple times a year, using them up as they get old...). That way, we should at least have water while we wait it out.

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

:wavespin:Hello from KY and welcome!

3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

:wavespin:

BTW, how, exactly did you try to post a picture? I personally post pictures from Photobucket, but even if you use another host, I'm sure someone here can help you work it out.

Are we altruistic? No, we are just gear voyeurs and it is in our own sick best interest to help you post photos.

snowkiwi and SurvivePenna like this.
  4. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Welcome from Long Island NY. :D

5. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

Welcome from WA!

6. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I was thinking it was like most other places I have posted pictures - you click on the icon, browse to the photo on your computer, and select what you want. There it is! However, all the dialog box is asking for is a URL. So, I understand now that I need to upload photos to some host and point to them in my posts here. Is that right?

I have some photos on Flikr, but have not used it for years... What is the simplest/best to use?

7. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Well, I'm a bit of a luddite and have a wife who uses Photobucket, so I think that is easier, lol. In PB, they have a little box on the side and you can just click the format you need and it copies it. Then come back here and post it. But, ya, what you said is basically how you do it. I'm sure there is a Flicker expert around that can answer specific questions if that's what you want to use.

8. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello and welcome from Italy !

9. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

[​IMG]

OK, finally figured this out. More photos to come later...

Schnurri, baccar-3, Vader9900 and 3 others like this.
  10. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

^^^ Beautiful sheath on your BK. Looks like its had some good use.

Welcome from New Zealand

Sonoran Tree and T.H.Cone like this.
  11. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

[​IMG]
    Wildlife from our hike - Western Diamondback Rattlesnake "Coontail". We went our way and he went his...

12. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

:wavespin: Hello and welcome to EDCF !!!! :) Glad that you found us and decided to join....

Nice rattler btw...:)

@xbanker : Is this one of yours ??? :p

SP

13. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Thankfully, No! :eek: He's in Wickenburg, 45 miles west of me (Anthem).

SurvivePenna likes this.
  14. lethgar

lethgar Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the forum. :cool:

15. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome from Illinois!

16. Rutha73

Rutha73 Loaded Pockets

Hi! I am just a little south of you (Mesa), interesting hobby, collecting beetles. I have seen some pretty interesting ones since moving down here, especially the various blister beetles!
    ETA: found this one in Heber while at a friends cabin
    [​IMG]
    Beetle by RUTHA73, on Flickr

Last edited by Rutha73, Apr 16, 2014
  17. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Yes, there are some nice blister beetles around. I have picked up a few from time to time and have been able to get them identified with the help of a friend in NY state. The ones called "Iron Cross" blister beetles (common name) that are probably out now (or soon) are pretty spectacular.

I have never lived anywhere that you actually run into people out in the field collecting before moving here. Kindof strange - I'm used to having everything to myself! But, even with the State of AZ being so well known entomologically, there are still many new behaviors, relationships, and even new species to be discovered. That is what makes it interesting!

18. Rutha73

Rutha73 Loaded Pockets

Another great resource for identifying bugs is one of the Profs down at UofA. My dad has become a master gardener and arborist since retiring down here and has gotten to know lots of the desert flora and fauna. If you need help on an I.D. You can send it to me and I will send it to my dad (who can usually ID it) and if he can't he will send the pic to UofA.

19. Sonoran Tree
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

That is a very nice offer, Rutha73! Thank you. I have a digital microscopic camera and can take some fairly good photos that we might be able to start with. Monsoons (and bugs) are coming! Thanks again!

20. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

So edify me: How does the "blister beetle" deserve its name?