1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Greetings from New York City!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by urbandaddy, Mar 8, 2009.

1. urbandaddy

urbandaddy Loaded Pockets

I am grateful to have found this sight and all the info within it.

2. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

3. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

Welcome to EDCF! I look forward to hearing your ideas on your EDC gear.

Happy Carrying
    GuardDog

4. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome aboard, urbandaddy.

5. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Lemme go over the Rules of EDCFight Club.

1. Never talk about EDCFight Club.

2. Never talk about EDCFight Club.

3. If this your first EDCF post, you have to fight.

:)

Hoping to see some some your EDC especially if you are going from borough to borough via subway and the big city.

6. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Welcome aboard!

7. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the EDCF family!! :highfive:

8. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

Hello and welcome!

I frequently tune a ham radio in NYC over at globaltuners.com. That's about as close as I get to NY :laugh:

9. Enkidu
    • In Omnia Paratus

Enkidu Loaded Pockets

Welcome, citizen of the Big Apple :)

10. urbandaddy

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
    I live in downtown Manhattan just a few blocks from Ground Zero. Ive lived through major black outs ( and the looting in the 70s) high crime waves (1980s) terrorist bombings ( Fraunces Tavern '70s,Cuban Embassy (i was on a bus passing by when it blew) 1st WTC and of course 911) Ive seen 4 people shot to death in front of me ,in addition know of two personally who were gunned down, One died one lived both 13 years old. And I felt my first earthquake [Small one]in NYC tuns out theres a big fault line that runs from NYC up to Lake Placid NY. I now have three kids. So EDC and BOBs are a critical element of my peace of mind. So the forums here have a great relevancy and are highly valued.
    My kit is very minimal and possibly insufficient in some folks eyes. Yet is based on my personal experience and careful examinations of survivors from some of the recent disasters we've had to deal with.
    As I said my edc is simple and basic as I live in an urban situation there is a lot at hand one can improvise with with out having to go to far. As far as BOB is concerned I am an outdoorsman who camps a lot so my gear is packed and ready to go and the family is comfortable with that. Our biggest challenge is to get off the Island as we had to on 911. We have pre-planned meeting points and it involves traveling on foot. Or bicycles if we are lucky to get a head start. In extreme circumstances we have an inflatable raft (no Joke).
    Thanks for taking the time.

11. TCW 60

TCW 60 Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF!

12. *Hawk*

*Hawk* Loaded Pockets

:welcome: urban daddy

13. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Welcome!

It would be great if you could post more of your thoughts and on your kit some time. I recently moved to Manhattan and don't even know where to begin with disaster planning here. Luckily I'm a short walk from George Washington Bridge but I don't know what I would do once I got off the island.

14. mercurial

mercurial Empty Pockets

Welcome urbandaddy!

And Dizos, living close to the bridge is great, cuz gettin' off the island is one of my first priorities. You should plan a meeting place in NJ with your friends and family. The problem for urban disasters is that you will be on foot. None of that put ten gallons of water, all the canned goods, and an arsenal into the truck stuff. Instead, it's what you can carry. That means a big backpack and sturdy hikers. One of my friends walked home to Queens in the last blackout, in high heels. She's not doing that again.

mercurial

15. TimmyBoston

TimmyBoston Empty Pockets

Welcome to EDCF!

16. Schattenwolf

Schattenwolf Empty Pockets

Welcome aboard! :welcome:

17. lbonanomi

lbonanomi Loaded Pockets

Dizos,

Have you walked over the bridge yet? I grew up in a small town between the GWB and I-95, and walked home from 175th street all the time.

For the benefit of anyone who would like to try this I would like to share a few things with you:

* There are 2 pedestrian/bike tracks on the bridge. Only one has ever been open in my living memory. Unfortunately due to bridge maintenance, it can alternate. If you're planning on making this trek, know which one is open beforehand.

* The walkway is now closed late at night with a fairly serious looking chain.

* You are a few hundred feet in the air above flowing water with the Palisades channeling air across. Its likely going to be cold for more than half the year.

* If there is a real crisis in New York, the NJ side of the bridge is an easy choke-point.

* Police on the NJ side (any of you post here?) can be aggressive, but this may have changed as the old guard that was such a pain for me in my misspent youth have mostly retired.

* If you need a place to regroup I would take a hike over and see what you can see. The pedestrian walkway spits you out in a rather poorly labelled part of town.

18. urbandaddy

Dizos,
    Your first plan should be to stay put. You should be prepared to hole up if necessary. Duct tape and plastic is a start. A safe room is better. Being so far uptown could be a benefit. During 911 people from uptown were calling me and asking if it was "really that bad" For them it was just a couple of smoking buildings in the distance for us the world was ending. We ultimately had to bug out as by that afternoon there wasnt a scrap of food or bottle of water left on a shelf in lower manhattan. Everything was sent over to the first responders / survivors. They locked down the neighborhood for weeks. And despite what they said at the time we all knew the air was toxic. The smell lasted for weeks. So we got out of there 3 days after and stayed away for two weeks.
    As far as a BOB Plenty of cash,credit cards ( its good to save one card with plenty of credit just for Bugging Out) , calling cards(most cell phones went down during the blackout),cell phone and charger, water and good walking shoes are important. As well as you important docs on digital or hardcopies.