1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Great used deals and free finds! Share your story (Tools mostly)

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Dafabricata, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

NOTE: This thread is not a place to post links or directs to advertised good deals but, rather a thread to discuss and share your stories about used items bought second hand.

What are some of the good deals or great finds that you've come across on items when buying used or just looking around? Garage sales, flea markets, side of the road, dumpsters, craigslist, eBay....you get the point, now lets hear your stories!

Mostly I'd like to hear about tools but, any good deal story is welcome.....cars, lights, whatever you've gotten a killer deal on, please share your story.

I'll start with my most recent and probably my favorite.

This summer I decided that I'd like to sell off all my tool boxes and buy one nice large box.
    My first box was a Mac MB1700 that I bought used for $1700 when I was 16. Well I found a matching one WITH the top box for $550 up in Flint (one of Michigans and the countries worst places for murder) My brother took me out there to check it out and I talked the guy down to $480. Mind you the boxes were FILTHY and had overspray and everything else from being neglected. After 10+ hours of cleaning, rubbing, waxing, lubing, (ok, this it starting to sound bad[​IMG]) the boxes cleaned up beautifully and none of my friends could believe it was the same box from the day before. [​IMG]

So now I had 2 x Mac MB1700 and one has the matching top box. Well, I also had a Waterloo box (top & bottom) that was given to me as payent owned by my Dad many years ago, along with yet another Remline box (top & bottom)

I also had a $700 Matco top box that I picked up for $50. (Still have this one) that was being used as a top box on my original MB1700.

I had a wall of tool boxes with way too many small drawers and not enought big drawers, so I put them all up for sale in order to buy one big box. Sold the 3 xMac boxes to an old school mate for $2300, sold the Waterloo to one of my best friends who was in desparate need of an upgrade for $500, and sold the Remline to another close friend for a great deal in exchange for his help in picking up my new box. All sold within 2 weeks and I only had to come out of pocket about $600 to purchase not just one big box....but rather 3!!![​IMG][​IMG]

I found a beautiful condition triple bank Matco box in blue, 5 miles from my brothers house for $2500.
    2 weeks later I'm looking on craigslist and see an ad that I saw 2-3 weeks previous but figured someone HAD to have bought it already.
    Send the guy an email to find that it's still available! I tell him I'll be by that evening and pay cash.
    I knew the bottom box had damage but was totally fine with that.
    Ended up with a blue Mac Tools Macsimizer bottom, top and side hutch for $1000!!!
    It's an $18,000 box new and there was nothing wrong with the top box or side cabinet!
    Even the bottom box is repairable and most of the drawers open/close/lock just fine.

Needless to say, I have more tool storage than I'll need for quite some time to come.

A couple more then I'd like to hear your stories...[​IMG]

I once got a VW Jetta for free that I then traded for a component set of MB Quarts speakers.
    Also a 76 VW Beetle for free that I sold on eBay for $750.
    Most of my shop cabinets for free.
    The floorstanding Rigid drill press was $20 and only needed the switch cleaned and the head put on the shaft correctly.
    A $200 Columbia vise for $30. Free welding table.
    And a free dodge neon that I chopped in half and sold for $350.

EDIT TO ADD:
    $26 4x6 bandsaw with no motor. I added one I found from an old table saw I found in the garbage, bought a blade and it's been working since. I completely refurbed it along with most of my other machine tools.
    Found a BUNCH of 80/20 extruded aluminum in the garbage behind a building. Went inside and asked to speak to the owner and he gave it all to me since I asked instead of just taking it. Also came away with a 10.5' long table with nice locking casters that served me well for years.
    My nuts and bolts bins are the old-school metal hardware store type that I got for free froma guy moving.
    My workbenches were all free. I have a 1.5" thick butcher block top that I got from someones garbage that fits one in particular perfectly.
    My lathe stands were made from free metal (mostly)
    Both of my huge storage cabinets were bought used for $150 each (over $1000 new)

If I think of more I'll add them here with an edit.

Ok, now lets hear some of your deals and finds.....[​IMG]

Last edited by Dafabricata, Dec 24, 2013
  2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I got a DeWalt Belt, 1/4 sheet and 5in random orbital sander at a yard sale for $65. Other craigslists finds include a 9 inch B&D bandsaw for $35 including stand, a Ryobi 4x36 bench top belt sander for $50 with stand and a Ryobi drill press for $30. Also scored a Singer 3115 Industrial sewing machine in great working order for $100.

warchild and Dafabricata like this.
  3. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I have no idea what kind of boxes you’re talking about. Can you post a picture? :unsure:

4. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Sure!

Here are all the tool boxes that I sold to buy the one's pictured below.

[​IMG]

This picture shows the increase in size over my old biggest toolbox.
    It also shows the damage to the corner where some idiot forgot to pump the brakes after a brake job and came raging into the shop like some kind of moron. The guys insurance bought him an entire new box so he sold this one CHEAP!!!

[​IMG]

The new toolboxes together....Matco triple bank and Mac Tools Macsimizer.

[​IMG]

batteur, Blitzwing, Xiii and 2 others like this.
  5. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Those tool boxes make me tingly in my no no places :bounce:

6. ypsifly

ypsifly Loaded Pockets

Went to a local flea mkt last week that was having a gun and knife show on the side for the weekend. Lots of cool stuff to see and buy. I walked through the whole thing twice.

I came across a guy selling a couple of used Surefires. An E2E and an E1E. I've been wanting an E2E for a while and this one was in perfect shape and it was the version with the non-clickie tailcap, push for momentary, twist for constant on. He only wanted $25 for it! So I'm pulling out my wallet and he brings up the original box with all the papers. The box is a little beat up but the light is perfect! I could have cared less about getting the original packaging and papers but it made a sweet deal just a little better.

I went home a little while later and was so excited to show my Fiance' what a deal I came across and why this one has such a sought after tailcap and how deals like this are why I go to "Those places where people sell their old junk to idiots"....but she doesn't get it....I'm sure someone here will....

Dafabricata likes this.
  7. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Wow! VERY nice catch!

Congrats!