1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Grayman's EDC

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by grayman, Dec 16, 2012.

1. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    A Saturday afternoon well spent....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weej, survivorman, Gallows and 5 others like this.
  2. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Decisions..decisions.......Walther CCP or Glock 43....one will be my new carry gun. I've got 500+ rounds through the CCP now and I put 250 through the Glock yesterday. Both have run flawlessly, but I think my inner Glock fanboy has already made the decision....Need to put some more rounds downrange before making a decision.

Weej, sliverhawk, Gallows and 4 others like this.
  3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

A Spyderco Roadie. This tiny knife and it's Boehler N690 blade are perfect for slacks.

[​IMG]

Nick4305, Mumbojumboo, Weej and 6 others like this.
  4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hate this thread and just pushed 'down vote'.

Ok fine... pretty much everything I have always wanted....

Tell me about the william Henry....always wanted one...

Weej, vegassprky and cheeser like this.
  5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Oh... and ya..... can't wait till the day I can get on a plane with my roadie. In my opinion.... too dam expensive for what it is but a heck of a Sheeps footer knife.

Weej and vegassprky like this.
  6. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've got the EDC 10, which has the 3" D2 blade. They are button lock, super thin, and ride as deep in the pocket as a clipped in knife can. They are crazy expensive though. I paid $300+ plus for the one I have, and the handle is aluminum with a carbon fiber insert. The next step up though, gets you ZDP-189 steel at $450 and for a 3" blade. There are a lot of knives at this price point. If I just had one, it wouldn't be the WH, but, if I had two at this price point, I'd have one. I just really like the ZDP-189 steel. I've used it repeatedly without the need to resharpen. When I have, I've just run it on some fine ceramic sharpening sticks.
    I agree, at $55 it a little pricey for what it is, but it rides so well in the pocket of thin summer slacks.

Weej, Mumbojumboo and vegassprky like this.
  7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Always wanted a WH....... and I have to be honest....I've never carried the Roadie. I had to have one... the knife that almost got us back to normal after 911. Seemed like a piece of history. I have to say that spyderco sure knows how to jimp a knife... I also like the thickness of the blade. I guess I should carry it a bit before I pass judgment. Thanks Grayman....oh and my roadie is gray. hahaha

Weej and vegassprky like this.
  8. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Today's carry........and keys and the iPhone I took the photo width.

Weej, Lou_G, Gallows and 3 others like this.
  9. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Wow, I've been MIA from my own thread for some time. Not surprised as I found out three days after my last post that my job of 18 years would cease to exist in two more months. Needless to say my EDC has evolved some. For the first time in a long time, it became necessary for me to start carrying a backpack daily, due primarily to my new job. I thought I'd take some time to some picks of my new rig.

I really went back and forth on what I needed. I found that the larger the bag, the more crap I crammed into it that I did not need to carry around. My CamelBak Urban Assault XL seemed to way a ton, and I soon found out why when I unloaded it. As an IT professional, I had tools, cables (LOTS of cables), rack hardware, spools of velcro, you name it, I had in my bag. In all fairness, I really only carried the bag when I traveled for my previous job. I decided I needed something more urban and compact, that wouldn't look undersized on my broad back. After hours of scouring the Internet and some e-mails back and forth with customer service, I opted to order a Sutro Backpack from Rickshaw Bagworks out of San Francisco. I had ordered a messenger bag from them years ago and had been happy with the quality. My biggest concern was getting shoulder straps long enough. In the interest of full disclosure, I had ordered a GoRuck GR1 in wolf grey. When it came in I was so excited as the build quality was everything I thought it would be. However, when I put it on, I found the shoulderstraps where sized for a toddler and the crazy padding on them felt like they were trying to cut off my head, so back it went. Then I ordered the Rickshaw Sutro.

One thing I like really like about the Rickshaw bags is that you can custom order them in the materials and colors you want and that is exactly what I did.
    [​IMG]

Though the pictures aren't the best, I ordered a dark gray ballistic nylon with a lighter gray trim for the outside. I ordered a red waterproof sail clothe interior. And the most important feature are the extra-long shoulder straps.
    [​IMG]

It has a single front pocket that has business cards, phone cables, and my pen case in it. It has a side entry to the main pocket, which makes it easy to retrieve my notebook and other items including my Tom Bihn Snake Charmer I keep all my cables and accessories in. The zipper is covered to keep the elements out.
    [​IMG]

The bag has a built in laptop sleeve that accommodates up to a 15" notebook. The top folds over and has adjustable buckle closures incase you need to pack a lot in the bag.
    [​IMG]

In addition to the laptop, I pack the Tom Bihn Snake Charmer in the bottom of the bag. I can get it in from the top or side and it fits perfectly. It's also handy to move from bag to bag if I need to go to something larger than the Sutro's 1080 cu. in. interior. I pack small items in a Maxpedition Cocoon, which also goes into the Snake Charmer. The smaller case is a Kokuyo Will Pen/Pencil case. It's big enough to hold a pen, pencil, highlighter, and spare lead. It goes in the front pocket.
    [​IMG]

You can see the laptop and Snake Charmer fit perfectly with plenty of room, though what you see is what I normally carry.
    [​IMG]

Like a fool, I cut off the otherwise non-removable sternum strap. I did replace it with a removable model. I also added some web dominators to handle the excess shoulder straps.

All and all, I'm very happy with the pack. It carries wells, blends into my corporate surroundings, and still has plenty of room if I need it. I am curious as to how well the sail clothe will do at keeping the water off my gear should I get caught out in the elements. It's typically used on the outside of bags, but I thought i might work on the inside as well. Plus it's bright making it easier to see into the bag.

I did have to go back to my Urban Assault XL for a recent two-week trip to Houston. I just needed more cargo space than the Sutro had to offer. However, I promptly returned to it and stowed the Urban Assault XL until I need it again.

10. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Good to see you around, old man...
    The sail cloth holds up well, from my experience w/ similar bags pulling sysadmin duty.

Last edited by iacchus, Apr 20, 2016
    Weej likes this.
  11. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I've lurked around in the shadows some, but it has been some time since I've posted anything..........The bag is a significant change for me so I thought it was worth posting.

Water-Rat and iacchus like this.
  12. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

A classic design. I love the tech centric reviews for those of us who need gear for the jungles of network protocols more than the jungles of Peru.

(but still might end up in Peru)

13. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wow, has been a while since your last post ... glad you decide to be back !