1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Grappling hook saved the day

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by severdhed, May 11, 2017.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Last year for Christmas, my wife bought me a Gravity Hook XS. This little thing is a ton of fun to play with, both in grappling hook mode, as well as claw mode. I added it to my EDC load out immediate, just hoping for the chance to use it.

Last week, I used it to retrieve a USB cable that fell down behind a very heavy desk that I preferred not to move. It was pretty satisfying. However over this past weekend, I got to use it again and it was amazing.

I was with my children at a fundraiser event, they were all running around at the end of the event with helium balloons. My 3 year old son bent down to pick something up and accidentally let go of his balloon, which quickly floated up to the ceiling, about 15 feet up. Needless to say, he was devastated. He stood there with tears running down his face and trying to tell me what happened between the sobbing.

I quickly unclipped my gravity hook from my belt, unraveled the small bundle of paracord I had attached to it. I attached the grappling hook attachment from my belt pouch and proceeded to attempt a recovery the balloon. It took 3 or 4 tries to catch the little loop on the balloon string. When I handed him that balloon, his little face went from sad to the biggest, most sincere smile I've ever seen. He was so genuinely grateful. I got a big hug and he skipped away with his balloon.

It was just a moment, but for that moment, I was his hero, and I've never felt better.

I will always carry this great little tool with me everywhere now. It may not get used frequently, but one time is all it took to make it worth while.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. DAVPHINS

DAVPHINS Empty Pockets

Have the same one, can't tell u have many times I have used it....SO MANY USES.

3. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Such as... Please elaborate. This has really caught my attention, but I am afraid that it will end up like my County Comm grappling hooks; very cool little "toys" that I thought I would use but they just collect dust. Thx

sbillard and ItsHardToKnow like this.
  4. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

"My daddy is Batman!"

5. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

I'm curious to hear what you guys use these for. I want to be convinced to buy one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

You never wanted to be a Ninja?

Norseman likes this.
  7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have one of the 3 dollar Chinese clones and it's surprisingly functional and fun. These are small enough to hook to your bag till you need it.

8. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I was installing a new wireless access point at a client the other day. I was up on a ladder getting ready to install it and i found that the electrician that ran ethernet to the location for me left it in a big coil where i couldn't easily get to it. I was up on a ladder and easily threw my grappling hook over about 15ft or so and hooked the coil of cable and pulled it to where i needed it. Sure, i could have moved the ladder, but it was nice that I didn't have to. I have now used it enough that i consider i essential gear to have with me.

9. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Hahaha that's probably the best sales pitch anyone's gonna come close to

Ethos likes this.
  10. kdx300

kdx300 Empty Pockets

Dang it, there goes 50 bucks again. Just ordered the duo pack.

severdhed likes this.
  11. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I got the original larger one from a crowdfunding website.
    In Ti obviously :D

12. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I took my daughter to Hapkido class tonight to test for her green belt. As we were leaving, a few of the other students were in the parking lot. They had been playing with a frisbee that ended up on the roof. They tried to get it down using a bo staff, which also ended up stuck on the roof. When I walked outside to leave, I saw a 12 year old girl standing on a wooden bench with A 6 year old boy on her shoulders trying to reach the bo staff.

I quickly stepped in and advised them to get down. I pulled out my gravity hook and a 12ft length of paracord I keep on my keychain. The first throw missed, but the second throw caught the bo staff. I was able to pull it off the roof. Then on my third throw, I managed to get the frisbee and pull it down. The only bad thing is that my hook got caught in the rain gutter and I had to use the bo staff to get it unstuck.

All the kids thought I was awesome and kept calling me Batman.

13. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

About an hour ago, my oldest son threw a ball at my daughter and knocked her glasses off of her head. Naturally, they fell directly into a storm drain and landed about 8ft down. To most people that would be a big problem, but I happen to keep a 10ft bundle of paracord and my gravity hook xs on my keychain. I was able to easily retrieve them on the first try, saving the day.... I love this thing.[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Warrior's Meadow

Warrior's Meadow Loaded Pockets

This is too funny that this thread came up again today. Someone at work today said they saw a video on Facebook and thought of me. It was of one these guys (not sure the exaxt model put an edc grappling hook none the less). Man I sure do need one of these. I would love to be batman (I would have said ninja too but batman is definitely a ninja). I already carry enough stuff (as most of us here do) and this would make my batman edc status official.

W.M.

15. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

a 50lb treble hook (fishing hook) works to, just have to file down the jugular jagging points before throwing.. It doesnt fold up, but it does work.. There's heavier duty hooks too.. How does the gravity hook work, like pliers that are supported by the weight of the load??

16. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

While I do enjoy fried SPAM now and again, that is a bit bland for my tastes.

Last edited by BigGreenTick, Sep 11, 2020
    #16 BigGreenTick, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  17. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

With all due respect....I can't recall a single day in my 50+ years of being on this planet, that a grappling hook would have come in handy. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Jay-uk likes this.
  18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You don't need one. Nothing to see here... :ninja:

rdisom likes this.