1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GR1 vs. GR0 - Torso length - Comfort/Fit Issues?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by DeekNow, Oct 5, 2014.

1. DeekNow

DeekNow Empty Pockets

Hi all,

Been lurkin' the forums (and elsewhere) for a few weeks on discussions on the GR0 and GR1 and decided to make an account to pose my own. This question is one that's been brought up before in another thread(s) but no definitive answer was given, and I want to include torso length into the discussion as well. I'm hoping to get a definitive answer as I need to order a new bag asap!

I'm 5'5" with a 19" torso and really want to get the GR1 as opposed to the GR0 (because of the extra capacity for when I need it and I plan on having this be my main bag for life!) but still am not sure if the GR1 will pose its issues for me down line regarding comfort/fit. As I stated earlier I've read posts on this site and elsewhere with people my height (not necessarily my torso though, important distinction) being perfectly fine with a GR1, while others state that the GR0 is a better fit as it's intended to be for those with my frame. No definitive answers yet but I did see a gentleman in another thread post a pic with a GR1 (5'10", 19.5" torso) and even there is seemed almost too long. As I understand it the GR0's height is 17.5" where the GR1 is 20". Will that one inch (20" length vs my 19" torso) pose its problems for when I need to carry a good load for an extended period of time? As I'm sure you all can understand, for this price I can't afford to buy a bag that I'd regret. I'll be using this for everything: school, light hiking, trips, etc.

Can anyone help guide me in making a purchase? Again, would love to have a GR1 but if it will ultimately make me uncomfortable and be a poor fit than I must resort to a GR0. Don't plan on buying another bag or 'ruck' ever again so this is certainly a very important decision!

Thanks to all who see this and will offer their expertise! :)
    Much appreciated.

2. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

Just to add a little more food for thought: I have a GR1, a GR2 and a GR Radio Ruck.

I'm just under 6' and I find the RR which is 17" to be the most comfortable, even though all three of them 'fit' me. It's only two litres smaller than the 1 (24 vs. 26) and does not have a frame sheet but that lets it conform to your back.

The RR is out of production but commonly available on the secondary market.

3. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm 5'8" and my GR0 fits me perfectly. Not too big not too small. At 5'5", the GR1 will flat out be way too long for you. You'll enjoy the GR0 :) as for capacity, it holds way more than it looks. I've had mine a month and a half (?) and it has broken in perfectly and it is now the most comfortable pack I've ever bought.

I love every stitch of this pack and it's with me everyday for work, and on the weekends for rucking and/or as a kid bag. I will carry it for as long as I live! Ruck on!

4. Mester

Mester Loaded Pockets

I am 5.11 and have both (GR1 and GR0). I find the GR0 the most comfortable to wear. I find the GR1 a little bit too long for my torso when I compare them.

5. freddy russo
    • In Omnia Paratus

freddy russo Loaded Pockets

On GoRucks website it actually states, anyone under 6ft get the Gr0 and anyone over 6ft get the Gr1

6. freddy russo
    • In Omnia Paratus

freddy russo Loaded Pockets

Also I have a Gr0 and it's the one bag I can't get rid of, I for some reason just keep going back to it, I definitely got my money's worth out of it. Very durable and tough bag.

Heavyduti and Mester like this.
  7. DeekNow

DeekNow Empty Pockets

Ahh. Had no idea that bag existed. Can't seem to find one for sale. If anything it'd have to be one of the more recent ones as some positive changes were made toward the end of that line. Looks like I'm still in the running between GR0 and GR1. Why couldn't they make the GR0 24 liters? Sucks. Thanks for your post!

Thanks for your input! Would you say the capacity could hold enough for a small trip? Road trip also perhaps? Great to know that it fits 'comfortably.'

I understand and have read that little note of advice, however they also state:
    "This guidance is most relevant if you want to train with your ruck. Meaning, the differences are most pronounced when rucking a lot of miles. Choosing the correct size allows the ruck to better span the length of your torso, leading to better weight distribution along your back and shoulders while rucking. If you’re under 6 ft tall but need the additional 5 Liters for travel and for use as a dayruck, GR1 will work great."
    Also as I mentioned in my initial post, some folks on here (and on other reviews I've read on the internet) that are my height say that the GR1 fits them fine, even comfortably. Here's the post http://edcforums.com/threads/goruck-gr0-vs-gr1.120757/, while others say otherwise, and others (like yourself) say that the GR0 is just a better fit even though the GR1 fits them. I find that interesting. Just trying to get more information from folks with experience to make an informed decision; I'm sure many others will find this post relevant! Thanks for your post! Seems like the GR0 is getting a lot of love from the taller folk :D.

I'm wondering myself how those who are 5'5"/5'6" with the GR1 are having no qualms whatsoever with the 20" height. My current bookbag is 19" and it's right above my hip, and that's with the straps being a tad loose. Still undecided. Refreshing this post a handful of times a day reading your responses. Keep em' comin'! :)

8. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would say it would accommodate for a road trip/small trip. It also depends if you're an efficient traveler or not you know? Like If you only carry the essentials. But that's the beauty of the gr0. It provides you 20L of the essentials :)

9. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

There's a YouTube video of a guy doing a review of the gr1. I recall him stating he's 5"8 and said the gr1 is too big. I think he mentioned his height but don't quote me on that lol

10. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

The RR comes up on ebay (where I got mine) and other sites regularly. It is not long discontinued so there will be many around but if you have my luck it will be right after you get something else.

I found a fellow edc forum member that had a GR1 so I could see it in the flesh before I bought one. That helped a lot in deciding to get it. Maybe a member who lives close to you could do the same for you.

11. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

I had a GR1 now an SD25 - Had a Radio Ruck and now have a Shadow 20.
    at about 5'6" both the GR1 and the SD25 are a bit too long- but I sitll love/loved them both.
    even cinched up - they still rode all the way to my belt
    Picked up an SD20 and let the Radio Ruck go- the SD 20 is a better length for me
    I am thinking about letting the SD25 go for a GR0

12. Loon66

Loon66 Loaded Pockets

I'm just shy of 6" tall with a 19.5" torso and the GR1 feels great whether I have it high and tight or let the straps out a bit to let it ride lower.
    I had a RR and a GR0 and both felt like I could wear a lumbar pack underneath them.

If you have a 19" torso, you should be good with the GR1. Remember that a taller pack will fall into your lower lumbar area and aid in comfort by taking a little weight off your shoulders whereas a shorter pack on a long torso will hit lower mid back with all weight on the shoulder straps.

GR has a great no questions return policy. You could buy both and send one back or take a chance with one and see if it'll work for you and save return shipping costs. If you can only dish out enough for one, with your torso length and desire for the larger capacity, I'd get the GR1.

I have it slung low in this photo. Hard to see with a black pack and jacket but the bottom is at my belt line. If I wear the pack higher, it's above belt line. I think GR suggests the straps come straight off the pack directly onto the shoulders but most people let them ride lower. Very comfortable pack for me.

I have no affiliation with GoRuck. I don't blog reviews of gear. Just an end user of a product I like, bought and paid for with my hard-earned money.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Loon66, Oct 7, 2014
    bigfoot and Heavyduti like this.
  13. Hulk

Hulk Loaded Pockets

I'm 5'3" and have both the GR0 and GR1. I got the GR1 first, and then the GR0 came out a few months later and I got that. I'm happy to report that I have no problems with either bag.

The GR1 feels like a regular old backpack. I've always had backpacks running down to my butt, so I've just been used to that. The GR0 does feel better since it's slightly shorter, so I feel like it's a backpack made for my size.

My only gripe is that I cannot pack as much in a GR0. Sometimes, for traveling, I pack my GR0, then throw it inside my GR1. When I get to my destination, if I'm going somewhere that requires less, I'll just use the smaller GR0.

I typically use my GR1 for traveling and my GR0 for everything else (commuting to work, going to ballgames, etc.).

At your 5'5" height, I don't think you'll have any problems with either, unless you don't like backpacks touching your butt.

Having said all of this, if I could only get one of them, like your situation, I would go with the GR0.

Hope my input helps.

zuntax, AdrianChang and Heavyduti like this.
  14. DeekNow

DeekNow Empty Pockets

Hey Loon66! Thanks a bunch for your input; I'm sure you know you were the one I was referring to regarding the 19.5" torso/picture, glad you were able to offer more words pertaining to the fit. The thought of purchasing both and returning one had crossed my mind but like you mentioned I'd like to avoid return shipping costs and going through that process in general. I don't mind wearing a pack higher if it creates a better fit and in turn takes some of the weight off my shoulder. Glad to know it's comfortable for you as we virtually have the same length torso. I had not thought of a taller pack resting on my lower lumbar area and the pros of that. More to think about, will factor that into my decision.

Really appreciate your input, Hulk. Yeah for me I only have the luxury of buying one GoRuck (or any bag at this price) so I'm trying to 'future proof' it in a sense. The majority of the time I'm gonna be taking it to school and work, but for those times I wanna go biking for a long distance, hiking, or take stuff with me on a road trip, flight, overnight stay somewhere, I want to be able to pack what I need and not be limited by capacity. But as Southpaw mentioned earlier, if I pack efficiently the GR0 should hold what I need it to, but what if I wanna pack some extras? Maybe I bought something on my way home or was given something by someone and need the space for it, y'know? Just trying to think of real-world applications. I didn't realize it but yeah, my whole life I've had bags that ran down to my butt, not once have I owned a bag that didn't. Is it possible I'm missing out, lol? I dunno. It seems like the struggle you're experiencing is what my mind has been on for weeks now - that, to state the obvious, you just can't pack as much into a GR0 as you can a GR1. I think the real question is: how often will I be needing that extra 5 liters?
    Admittedly I don't travel often but would like the option of more capacity. So basically the GR0 feels better to you.. seems like now it's sort of a preference as I'm not seeing a consensus. I'm honestly not sure how I'd like a bag that's shorter than what I'm accustomed to. I was kind of surprised that after reading what you wrote you said you'd go with the GR0 if you could only choose one! Was kind of expecting you to say GR1.

15. RobF

RobF Loaded Pockets

I'm about 5'9" and have the GR1. It's longer than most backpacks but I like the longer fitment over the shorter style bags that rest on your lower back. I find the GR1 slightly too long, but the trade off of more space is welcome. Something I really like is the GR1 allows 8x11 papers, plus the top area for a admin pocket (like the GR1 field pocket). In the smaller shorter packs, this is not possible, unless you mount the admin pocket some place else.

But if you're not using an admin pocket, I think the GR0 would be a better fit. Also if you don't need an dedicated laptop compartment, you can get away with the SD series backpacks. Highly recommend these as they are a great bang for the buck and with a good quality laptop sleeve, will be a great setup.

16. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Based on your torso length, I'd say get a GR1. Based on your height, I'd say get a GR0. Honestly, you probably fall in the gray area between the two. I think GR's Under 6' / Over 6' approach is a little simplistic since it only taken someone's height into account. Plus, these packs were designed to ride high on your shoulders, so that compensates a bit for the GR1's longer length.

For travel, I've found the GR1 does really well. I can squeeze a couple days' worth of clothes and toiletries into the pack, and still have the admin pouch up top for other items. Only place it was cramped was with stowing it under the seat on a plane -- didn't leave me much room to stretch out. In an overhead bin it would be just fine. For average fair-weather EDC use, the GR1 is a little bit on the larger side, but that room can be easily taken up by a camera, snacks, or a light jacket, etc. For me, it can accomplish more roles with the larger capacity. At one point I tried a GR0, but the fit seemed to short for my torso & height. Felt like I was walking around with a turtle shell. :cool:

Heavyduti likes this.
  17. DeekNow

DeekNow Empty Pockets

Does the length bother you when you have to wear it for an extended period of time? At the moment I don't plan on buy an admin pocket, and one of the biggest selling points of this bag for me is indeed the dedicated laptop compartment. Thanks for your post!

I'm glad you mentioned the fit or rather unfit of the GR1 when taken as a carry-on. I'd say about 80% of the time it's going to be used for average fair-weather EDC use, but for that 20% of the time when I wanna go on a trip, long hike, long bike ride, I want my bag to come through as far as capacity. Like I mentioned, I want this bag to be my end all be all BUT has to be comfortable or else what's the point? What's your torso/height for some context? Thanks for your post, bigfoot!

18. RobF

RobF Loaded Pockets

I haven't worn the backpack longer than a few hours, walking around downtown and on the subway. But the overall length is more felt in the position of the bottom of the back and where it rests on your back. The best way to describe this is wearing a standard sized backpack loaded with about 20lbs (laptop, books, etc.) then take note where you feel the weight. Normally the weight will be resting just above the lower back, but on the GR1 (for me) it's slightly below and closer to the belt line. I haven't felt any strange issues, like the backpack resting or pushing aganist my belt but it's does slightly restrict movement. As mentioned, it's a worthy tradeoff and since this is my second backpack that is longer in size, it feels more comfortable. My first longer backpack is a SpireUSA Volt XL, followed by the TAD Litespeed which is also longer in length than a normal pack.

Before the GR1, I had a Tom Bihn Brain Bag and that bag felt more uncomfortable since it was much shorter in length. But it really depends on the user, and how you like backpack designs. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

19. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Sure -- 5'10", torso length about 20.5". Like RobF above, I also had a TAD Litespeed at one point. With a length of 22", that definitely seemed too tall for me, and it went to a new home. Something else to consider is comparing the volume of the GR1 and GR0 versus what you are carrying now. On paper, the 5L difference between the two packs doesn't sound like much. In person, it is much more apparent.

Heavyduti likes this.
  20. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

So, did you buy a bag yet?

Guess not...