1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GPS system

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by xkalifornian, Apr 30, 2010.

1. xkalifornian

xkalifornian Empty Pockets

Any recommendations for a good GPS system for around $100.? My wife is dropping hints to the kids this may make a nice Mother's Day gift.

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Any of the Garmin Nuvi GPS systems are phenomenal devices. There are some for a hair over $100 over on NewEgg.com (a great retailer btw).

I use it for day to day driving but where it really shone was when my friend and I drove 5000 miles across the country on a road trip last summer. We never needed to ask for directions, check a map, or even backtrack, even when we were in the middle of nowhere. Reception was 100% perfect the entire trip, as well. Its trip time calculator is also spot-on, so we could easily estimate when we'd get there.

I own and have used the Navigon GPS and I am not as impressed. Made us drive around in circles, taking hours to get somewhere where it should have taken us less than an hour.

3. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I'll second the Garmin, but if you're driving to Alaska the sat-connection might drop sometimes (It happened to a friend)...

4. seawolf69

seawolf69 Empty Pockets

Look up the brand called Smartnav. Got one with a 4.3" screen for around US$100

5. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

+1 for garmin .. I love mine

6. Relayer

Relayer Loaded Pockets

I have the cheapest wide Garmin Nuvi available. Love it.

7. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I got a Garmin Nuvi 250w last year on ebay for $120, SO GLAD I did. I got it specifically for a trip to NC from MD. I was able to just hit the road and go, I even missed an exit somewhere in VA where there were no options to exit and re-enter the beltway, I just had to keep on truckin'. It recalculated in a few seconds and I continued driving and got there without incident. It's one of my favorite toys, I call it "The Guide", because you just select the town you're in(or will be) and you can pull up all sorts of info and attractions, then just go to them!

8. xkalifornian

xkalifornian Empty Pockets

Thanks guys, Garmin it is!

9. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets

Go Garmin, Magellan are not as good as they once were.

Lee

10. FixIt

FixIt Empty Pockets

When you look at GPS, remember to check the price for map updates. Maps have a limited life span, after which they go obsolete. Most GPS uses their own proprietary format, which means you only can use map from that particular brand. Maps are often ridiculous expensive, and this is also where you find the biggest price differences between brands.

Of course there are worse things in life than being diverted into the old road that may be one-way the wrong direction or otherwise blocked for traffic. A good GPS should be able to find another way through anyway. But for less hassle you need map updates every other year.

For various reasons, I live with a completely outdated GPS that is really cumbersome for road use (hand-held magellan color from 2004). I get by only because a) I don't need it that often, b) both I and the wife are really good at reading maps, using the GPS solely to complement the map reading process, c) I know the irks and inns and outs of that particular GPS very well.

If I ever can justify buying a proper car GPS the Tom-Tom brand comes very high on the list of candidates. I like the interface, they are among the top brands in every independent test I've ever seen and they seem to have the best approach to map updates.

11. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

:iagree: My Garmin has been demanding a $70ish map update, & it's gotta come from Garmin.The GPS still works, but driving around being told you just went off the highway POOF!!! your now back on... It gets annoying at times.