1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GPS help needed

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by randal, Nov 25, 2009.

1. randal

randal Loaded Pockets

I work in Egypt and spend most of my time here. My next job will likely be someplace on this side of the globe. I'm looking at buying a GPS but wanting one that will work over here and hopefully can have street maps downloaded into the unit if/when they become available. GPS units have just recently become legal here so that may be awhile.

I'm a novice in this area, any and all help appreciated.

2. chute43

chute43 Loaded Pockets

If I remember correctly, I think this one can download from a disk for certain parts of the world, when I was trying to get a contract job out of Dubai, i was planning on taking this one. I occasionally work as a flight medic and my garmin stays in my chest rig

Garmin 60csx

I know I have seen disk with maps of the europe but not sure about north africa or the middle east. I wasn't planning on using mine for street navigation but most of the crews I have worked with have sat phones, so I carry mine in case of a crash or unplanned landing.

Land Navigation Basics

Hope the links help
    kary

3. WoodMotorsports

WoodMotorsports Loaded Pockets

I'll second the 60CSx. I couldn't be more happy with mine. It's got a mount on my motorcycle, work van, and a pouch on the Fatboy for geocaching. You can get maps for both sides of the earth.
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/WoodMotorsports/PICT0148.jpg[/img]

4. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Yeah, Garmin....you can get maps for the entire world.

5. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

If you stick with Garmin you will not go wrong.
    -Eric

6. Turtle75

Turtle75 Loaded Pockets

:iagree:

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend C. It took me a while to get comfortable with how it operates and how to use all of it's features (I still don't understand 100% of them), but I love it!

7. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

Are you looking for a GPS specifically for car navigation or are you looking for an off road/hiking/walking navigation GPS?

All of my GPS (all three) are Garmins and while I swear at their lack of upgrade support, they produce very good products.

8. randal

randal Loaded Pockets

Actually I would like to find a unit that could do both if possible. Most of my driving is in and around Cairo but I do get out in the sticks from time to time. Downloadable maps of Cairo would be a huge help, in particular the Maadi area.

9. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

What lack? I update the software in mine frequently.

10. jsmith008

jsmith008 Loaded Pockets

Most of the Garmins are great. The Oregon 300 is great and on sale at REI right now I believe. The 60csx is an excellent unit, however, I am slowly turning to the dark side and favoring the Oregon or Dakota series. Avoid some of the Colorados, Dakotas, and Oregons that have the preloaded maps. You won't need maps of the US in egypt.