1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GPS held in car by neodymium magnet

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by dvtexans, Jan 28, 2009.

1. dvtexans

dvtexans Empty Pockets

What do you all think about using relatively strong disc magnets (one on back of gps unit, one glued in a spot in the car) for an easy way of putting up / taking down your gps? I'm not sure if the magnets would affect it, like they do a computer screen etc. I have to park in a shady part of Pittsburgh for work, and the thought of constantly putting up and taking down the gps from the suction holder exhausts me!

2. dvtexans

dvtexans Empty Pockets

Obvious it's my first post?

I meant to put this in the electronics section

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'm sure a helpful moderator will be along shortly to help you move it.

Regarding your idea about the magnet: don't do it. I have no idea if the magnet will affect the function of the GPS, but I know that it will mess up or possibly even ruin the LCD screen.

Ignore misinformation above - I appear to be wrong. However, I would still advise against exposing any electronics to magnets. They just tend not to play well together.

4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

How so? I know of no issues with LCDs and magnets. CRTs on the other hand...

5. dvtexans

dvtexans Empty Pockets

That is exactly what I was thinking......anyone tried this yet. I would actually just glue a small flat piece of metal to the back of the gps, and use a magnet about the size of a quarter to hold it up in the car. I just don't want to bite the bullet and ruin the unit somehow if there is info out there that tells me that thats what will happen

6. Blackheart

I can't think of anything inside the unit that would be affected by magnetic fields, but I'm not the GPS expert, either. Even if there were something sensitive on the inside, the metal you plan on attaching to the back will act as a shunt for the magnetic flux (in other words, most of the field will be traveling through the metal, not into the unit).

Personally, I'd go for it... but, yeah, sure would be nice to hear from someone who's done it (just to be safe).

7. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Depending on the electronics, a strong magnet may (or may) not interfere with the GPS functioning. Some electronic components are sensitive to strong magnetic fields (but most aren't). Sorry for the wishy-washy answer, but it's something you'll need to try out to be sure.

8. Pantex

Pantex Empty Pockets

Velco is how I attach mine and it works great......... just twist it off versus pulling and make sure ya attach the velcro "soft part" to the GPS or it becomes a bit of a problem in yer pocket if ya use it on foot........

9. Blackheart

There's also that velcro-like material used on stuff like iPass transponders mentioned in another thread.

Ah, here it is: 3M Dual Lock

10. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

+1 on the dual lock. That stuff makes velcro look like nothing.
    I use it for anything that isn't getting permanently mounted in my vehicle. Garage remote, scanguage, GPS, cell phone, mp3 player and on the back of the CB handset.

11. dvtexans

dvtexans Empty Pockets

I am sold on the dual lock, especially after seeing someone selling it on eBay and having two 1"x3" strips hold up a 25lb dumbbell. I'll have to hit up Target once the wintry mix is over (hopefully tomorrow)

12. mirek

mirek Loaded Pockets

I was also thinking about this easy going fixation of my GPS, bit did not realize it. I was afraid of the damage of bult-in memory and inserted data card by the strong magnetic field.

13. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Unless your GPS has a magnetic memory or a hard drive (doubtful, I know of none), a permanent magnet will have no effect on the unit. The hard part will be finding a glue to attach the magnet or the steel plate that is stronger than the neodymium magnet. Those babies are strong!

14. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

Be aware that any visible mounting will be an advertisement to thieves. Around here they are liable to break into the car to see if the unit is in the glove box if they see so much as a ring on the windscreen from a sucker.

15. NightFire

NightFire Empty Pockets

Most GPS systems have a memory card, it could easily be wiped with a strong magnet. In general, most sensitive electronics do not play well with magnets.

16. Herbie

Herbie Empty Pockets

Nobody has yet mentioned the better reason NOT to use a magnet: In an accident, this device becomes a projectile.

Any attachment that doesn't require serious (and I mean SERIOUS) effort to dislodge from the vehicle, WILL become dislodged from the vehicle and pingpong around the cabin in an accident.

Seriously. 

If its heavy enough that you wouldn't want me to throw it, full force, at your head, then Dual-lock is about the bare minimum that I would trust.

I've made custom brackets for my in-car goodies, and everything is actually screwed down to the trim.  I make L-shaped brackets so the fasteners (and the holes they leave when removed) are hidden on the perpendicular surfaces between where to trim panels meet, so there's no visible damage, just a bracket that seems to sprout from the crack between panels.