1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Got the Leatherman in my pocket, looking to get a toolbox.

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Chester, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Chester

Chester Loaded Pockets

I am wondering if anybody out there has any suggestions for a small, personal toolbox of good quality that can be used for the basic stuff; screwdrivers, pliers, etc. I want something small and portable to be able to throw in my vehicle or move around when I am doing a project.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Really?

Do you have any idea of exactly what and how much it will need to hold?

"The Basic Stuff" is not enough to go on.

And for the record I am an out of control Toolbox Enthusiast too!

3. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Based on your brief description, I would look at one of the surplus style canvas mechanics bag.

ran23 likes this.
  4. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Depends on what sort of things you are fixing/using said tools for? If it's tractors for example, those large spanners are going to need a rather long tool box or bag.:)

5. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Personally, I prefer a gate-mouth tool bag over a box. The gate-mouth part is important when one needs to root around in there to find a particular tool. Look for a good quality bag. I've got an older Craftsman-brand bag that works just fine, but the later Craftsman models are crap. The pockets, inside and out, are pretty much useless.

The problem with the mechanics bag mentioned previously is that it doesn't open up when unzipped, making it hard to find anything inside. I do have one in my truck, but it's just for a tire inflater and accessories. Just a few items, so I already know what's in there.

6. Chester

Chester Loaded Pockets

Basically just the smaller stuff like different sized screwdrivers, different sized pliers, adjustable wrench, hammer, carpenter square, hammer, Allan key set, ratchet, socket set, and some small stuff like carpenter pencils, sharpies, utility blades, etc.

7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Do you think that you'd prefer a tool box, canvas bag or a rigid open type bag/tool carrier?

8. Chester

Chester Loaded Pockets

I would prefer a tool box over a tool bag or carrier out of personal preference.

9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

You still have a ton of choice then, there's just so many different ones around,......you may pick up the exact thing you need at a discount store or market even, a no name/unbranded one.

10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If you go for a box, make sure you get a sturdy one. It should at least hold your weight and be sturdy enough to be used as an improvised saw bench. The pelican 1460 springs to mind but it's.. erm.... whats the word.... on the more expensive side? And totally overkill for most people.

It's hard to tell how large/strong a tool box actually is when browsing on the internet, so i can only recommend going to a store to get a feel for a couple different ones. Most tool brands make a box in one form or another but the difference between good and bad is really 90% personal preference.

earthman likes this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Still don't know how much space you need or of you prefer an open space for tools or more organization with sections or slots for groups of tools and also have no idea where you are?

So I will assume you are in the U.S. and have Home Depot around too.
    Rigid and Dewalt and Milwaukee all make tool storage box systems that are pretty cheap and well made.They are different sizes and levels of organization and they latch together if you want to make scalable storage that can grow with your tool needs.
    This is how I would go if you want hard sided boxes I think.They can be used by themselves or together.

I think soft sided is easier to carry and move from place to place but again Home Depot has a decent selection of decent cheap bags for that too.

Go to the orange box!

12. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Been working on this sort of idea for a while now --- wish I could find a Bonsa toolkit.

_The Toolbox Book_ is great inspiration / reference, as is the new book on the H.O. Studley tool cabinet (if one can overlook the errors and amateurish microtypography)

I would suggest a Trusco cantilever toolbox from Japan --- Hand Eye Supply imports them

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

That :censored: Toolbox Book has made me build a few of those since getting it years ago,I love that one!

WillAdams likes this.
  14. Chester

Chester Loaded Pockets

So far I don't no exactly what size I want, I like the idea of having an open box and being able to put organizers in there if that makes any sense.

15. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

I would also go for Pelican, at bags I would choose a Vanquest Maximizer. At both, the size would depend on your needs.
    Another hint, check out fishing boxes.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

As others have noted, the big question here is what you want to do. For my part, I'm currently working on a tool roll and have in it all the smaller tools which I find myself using most frequently:

- 10' tape measure (still a bit annoyed that the replacement tape I found for my 12' case was 2' too short)
    - "gunsmithing hammer" --- a small brass hammer with four screwdrivers hidden in the handle --- need to re-grind the flat bladed ones
    - diagonal cutters --- use these when 3D printing to snip off filament ends
    - 4" Bessey F-clamp
    - Elemen'tary No. 1 Screwdriver --- wish this was just a little bit smaller
    - Craftsman triangular finger ratchet --- this is great for quickly driving bolts or screws in
    - Felo T-handle 1/4" driver --- fabulous for really torqueing down on a fastener which has to be driven home with pressure
    - a variety of 1/4" bits and small sockets in a pair of Altoids tins along w/ a Kershaw Torx tool
    - Odd Jobs #1 (the Rockler replica --- wish I could afford one of the originals) and a Stanley brass-bound four fold rule
    - Nichsolson four-in-one rasp --- just the thing for quickly shaping something
    - inexpensive digital caliper in its plastic box

For a while I had a WrenchIt and a Mininch Toolpen in as well, but have moved those to my EDC bag where I'm hoping they'll be joined by a Mini and all collected in the canvas tool pouch Mininch announced for their failed Duoket jacket Kickstarter.

Planning on adding:

- a small saw
    - a Leatherman Crunch (already have a PST in the EDC bag --- maybe this will join it)
    - a small pair of Channel-lock pliers

17. Mike 56

Mike 56 Loaded Pockets

I made my living laying carpet and vinyl floors for 35yr Kennedy tool boxes served me well. I tried a bag for a while it seemed like I was always emptying the bag to find anything. A 24'' tool box should work for you.

Mike

Last edited by Mike 56, Feb 19, 2017
    #17 Mike 56, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  18. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yeah, a box makes a lot of sense. Thought this summed it up well:

https://bridgerberdel.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/thoughts-on-tool-organization-and-storage/5

>Pegboard is the lowest common denominator of tool storage.

>Fitted cases are for mature sets of tools....a static system.

>Anarchist’s tool chest.....allows for a practical amount of upgrading and rearranging....enforces restraint.

>(T)ool rolls....don’t waste space, at least not as long as the tools in them aren’t too awkwardly shaped.

>Drawers....Get enough drawers and you start forgetting what’s inside any particular drawer.

Trying to sort my tools out now. Hoping for:

- basic EDC --- CRKT Getaway driver and SwissTech Utilikey
    - EDC/bike bag w/ small tools, basic multitools, and bike tools
    - tool roll filled with layout tools, multifunction tools, most frequently used tools --- the one described above
    - coffin tool box with electrical/electronics tools and delicate/bulky bike and other tools
    - machinists chest w/ balance of mechanics stuff
    - woodworking tools sorted into a collection of boxes and two or three tool boxes/chests

Mike 56 likes this.