1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Got my Eco Drive!

Discussion in 'Watches' started by AK Adventurer, Nov 30, 2011.

1. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Well, I went ahead and ordered a Citizen Eco-Drive AT0200-05E1 Chronograph, have had it about 2.5 weeks now.

I had thought I wouldn't like the canvas band on it, and some reviews had the sizing as funny (because of the grommets in the holes are so big, I bet). So I ordered some NATO bands for it... Turns out that band is black leather lined, extremely comfortable, and the hole spacing is a Perfect fit for me!

But, I went ahead and tried the canvas NATOs, and they're nice too, but I prefer the stock one to them. But, I got a leather NATO thats fabulous! Will have it on the watch for a while. Very comfortable, lots of adjustment (could wear it over my glove cuffs/coat when outside..), and just looks so classy and rugged.

Not sure of the buckle ending up on the side of my wrist, instead of opposite the watch. So, I arranged it so that it is on the 'inner' or thumb side of my arm; more protection from snagging the buckle area on something(That reason also a bonus of wearing the watch itself on the inside of my wrist where its more comfortable).

Love the watch itself too. I thought the thickness would be annoying at first, but I hardly noticed it. Its also very light, surprisingly so for a steel case. Keeps accurate time so far, and seems to keep a charge fine too(no charge meter... my only dislike of the model, but with a 5 month reserve charge, I won't be worrying about it). Chrono works great. Was a bit unnerving the first day till, I got used to the main second hand not moving... The small second dial is the one that runs all the time, so at a fast glance the watch seemed to be stopped- got used to it though, no prob now.

Love the Lume on it, 30 seconds charge with my flashlight(Jetbeam BC10 on low) and I can still read it 2.5+ hours later, in pitch black. In the firs 15 minutes, I can illuminate things with the watch, up to 6in. away... stuff is bright!

I love it, and am very happy with the purchase. Its a nice investment in my future, should have it for a looong time if its half as durable as I think it will be.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling, and show the pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

I like that leather NATO strap a lot, it looks great. I've been looking for something similar to get for my Timex Expedition. Where did you get yours?

3. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I would check the manual, but I would imagine there should be a low power indicator build in to the movement, even if it may not be a nice accurate gauge.

My eco-drives show low power via the second hand - normally it ticks in one second increments, when it starts ticking in two second increments then you know the power is getting low. I believe at this point it should still have some reserve left, definitely more than enough to give you some time to let it charge for a while before it dies. Obviously I can't say for sure with your different movement and the different second hand, the manual should mention it somewhere.

Either way, I have yet to see a low power warning with any of my watches. It takes relatively little exposure for a days running, which is easily gathered as it will charge from any light source - whether a short time in bright sunlight, or the morning exposed to office lighting on your wrist.

4. notosw

notosw Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing an Ecodrive for 8 years and never has the power indicator gone below a full three bars. I don't think you'll have a problem.

5. DannyboyUpstate

DannyboyUpstate Loaded Pockets

Same question

6. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Superb watches and a lovely choice of strap for it too.

Just google leather nato straps guys - there's a couple out there.

7. barney

barney Loaded Pockets

Great choice! Those Citizens do really have some outstanding lume.. Now if only they would start putting in tritium markers too ;)

8. AK Adventurer

:brickwall: Yup, this one has the same feature, I totally forgot about it....

I got the band from
    stores.ebay.com/Holbens-Fine-Watch-Bands

and looks like they also have a non ebay site;
    holbensfinewatchbands.com

One of the custom band makers(amacman) here offered to make me a leather NATO, and for a fabulous price, but i hate to order a new style of something in custom work... If i hate the style, then i have superb craftsmanship just laying around... I'm gonna take him up on the offer early this next year, and tweak the design some-- longer between the buckle and where the watch sits, to move where the buckle ends up on my wrist.

G.

9. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

thanks for the info :)

10. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

I just ordered that same piece yesterday! Im pumped for it to come! Replacing my dieing Riseman with it.

Question though: Im gonna pop a Maratac Zulu strap on it.... did you go with the 20mm or 22mm straps for yours? Technically the
    AT0200-05E1 is a 21mm band.... But yours look like a good fit.

11. AK Adventurer

Sorry I missed this, and its probably waaaayyyyy too late to help any, over a year later, but for future reference, I use 20mm bands; its a perfect fit. :)

12. AK Adventurer

Watch and band both are holding up FABULOUSLY after 2 years and almost 4 months of almost daily wear. (say 5 out of 7 days a week on average) without babying it any. All I do is take it off for overtly messy auto work to keep from soaking the band in oil or ATF which wouldn't dry out of it. Otherwise I wear it for anything that might come along without a second thought..

`[​IMG]

Yes, the line up and down on the face just left of the date window is a Huge deep scratch in the crystal(it actually runs from the bottom of the "1" to the top of the "5") No idea how I did it, but its the only noticeable mark on it so far. :cool:

Nick4305, cowsmilk and northwest291 like this.
  13. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

It is a ZULU strap. The rings on the NATO are narrower. If you google for NATO straps, you probably wont find exactly what you are looking for!

:)

AK Adventurer likes this.
  14. AK Adventurer

Except that this one was sold as a NATO, not a ZULU, so getting this one will probably require looking for a NATO. ;) :)

northwest291 likes this.
  15. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

:eek:

What is world coming to?! Mix up a ZULU and a NATO?! :frantic:
    @CDavisJK, I hope you find what you are looking for. I thought my input would be helpful. I was wrong. :cool:

16. AK Adventurer

He probably did, that was 2 years ago, and I linked to the store where this one came from, above ;) :cool:

I got a question on ZULU vs NATO; The big difference I see when shopping is that the ones usually sold as ZULU don't have the second strap that goes across under the watch, just one straight strap that goes through the pins, but NATOs have the second "under strap"... And Zs do have the wider round ended rings, where that is rare on a NATO...

Is the ZULU soposed to have the second strap? :)

17. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

I believe both NATO and ZULU straps are designed the same way. I am only aware of the difference between the loops on the straps. I can very well be wrong, but I think thats the only difference.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  18. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It is hard to say for sure, since there are differing versions of both straps with overlapping features, but looking at the 'standard' versions:

The NATO straps seem to be the ones that gained popularity first, hence most canvas straps being referred to as 'NATO', whether they are what we have come to title as 'NATO' or not... They are the lighter weight strap that have two pieces under the watch (one that feeds through the strap lugs, one that goes under the watch as a whole. They also have the more square shaped ring pieces.

ZULU straps are a much heavier duty, thicker version, come as a 'single' piece without the multiple layers and a larger more rounded rings.

Subtle perhaps, but comparing the different ones I have had over the last few years there is a notable difference - the NATO's are typically more pliable and less stiff while the ZULUs feel more solid. There is also the entirely aesthetic question of which you like the look of best (ZULU here) and which you think matches your watch the best.

19. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Yup, gotta luv those Eco's ;)

warchild and Nick4305 like this.
  20. AK Adventurer

Thats a nice one @Sheepdog149 ! :cool:

OK, yeah, thats about exactly as I had it figured, but every now and then someone will call one the opposite and visa versa, and confuse me as to what I got and like... ;) This leather one is double strapped like a NATO, but has the heavy rounded ZULU rings... The only combo I've found that I like.

I've had both NATOs and the heavier single strap ZULUs, and prefer the double strap configuration, but I don't like the narrower rings... And can honestly say I don't like either in nylon/canvas... Too rough and scratchy for me.

I wish I coud get another of these leather ones. The place I got this one no longer has them in the same leather.(Still built as a NATO double strap with the heavy round ZULU style rings though) They switched to a thicker one layer leather, instead of 2 stiched thin soft layers like this one.. :(

warchild and Sheepdog149 like this.